Dual Tensa solo hang.

I've been fiddling around with both of my Tensa solos and I've had one heck of a time getting both of them to work. In previous attempts, they have been far too wobbly, and I've had trouble guaging the spacing required for my wbbb to get a good hang without brushing the ground. However last night, I had my first successful setup.

I found that a good way to get myself in the ballpark for better spacing was to lay the solos on the ground end to end, tops pointing inward. The ends will be where they stand.

To tackle the wobbliness, I secured each guyline with a trucker's hitch, finished with a slippery half hitch. Then I used the hammock to raise one solo while I carried its other end to the other solo. Once I was sure they wouldn't fall over without my support, I went around to each guyline and adjusted the hitches to get rid of any slack. This seemed to do a lot for the stability of the hang. Hanging the tarp seemed to

However, my hammock is still hanging kind of low to the ground, so I'm still trying to figure out the spacing for the solos. I ordered some amsteel from ripstop and I'm thinking I'll make a ridgeline that I can use to space the solos out, but I'm open to suggestions from anybody else who has used this system.

If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving.

I've used two solos with an ENO and it does not drag the ground. The distance between the stands is determined by the length of the tarp. I needed a dog bone but because I also needed to use the stand the next day, I got some 1/4 rope from West Marine and tied it with a knot. It allows the head to hang lower. With no way to move the suspension higher, I am not certain it is possible to use a longer hammock. The ridge line might be the answer if it is possible to string it banjo string tight. Others have used this configuration so there must be a better answer.

I notice you are not using the Orange Screws. I saw one break with a Tensa 4 which supposedly does not exert a lot of force on the screw. I have steel spikes intended to be driven into "D" logs with a sledge hammer and may go to them for suspension. Orange Screw website says they have some big pull number but the comments indicate people largely use the screw to tie out dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob View Post

I notice you are not using the Orange Screws. I saw one break with a Tensa 4 which supposedly does not exert a lot of force on the screw. I have steel spikes intended to be driven into "D" logs with a sledge hammer and may go to them for suspension. Orange Screw website says they have some big pull number but the comments indicate people largely use the screw to tie out dogs.
    Yeah, I opted for the boom stakes because I see them being more versatile than the screws.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by BestUsernameInTheWorld View Post
    ...my hammock is still hanging kind of low to the ground, so I'm still trying to figure out the spacing for the solos. I ordered some amsteel from ripstop and I'm thinking I'll make a ridgeline that I can use to space the solos out, but I'm open to suggestions from anybody else who has used this system.
    You need to get the ends closer together. The tarp is the limiting factor. The right end of the tarp looks good; nice and close to the pole. If you make the left-end of the tarp the same, you'll be able to adjust the hammock suspension to raise the hammock.

A ridgeline strung between the two tensa poles would be a reasonable way to get a consistent distance each hang. I reckon a continuous ridgeline for your tarp could serve as this.

Disclaimer: I've never used tensa solos I'm waiting for the rumoured trekking-pole-to-tensa-solo thingy to appear

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    With your hammock, you want the hammock as close to the poles as possible. So the shorter the suspension the better. If you need to raise the hammock once you have the poles set, tighten the guy lines to pull the tops of the poles away from the hammock.

For better stability play with the spacing between the two booms as well as the distance between the booms and solo poles. It takes a lot of fiddling and adjustments to get it were you like it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Thanks for the suggestions. When my amsteel order comes in, I'll play around a bit and see if I can create a ridgeline for spacing.

Update: By cutting an amsteel ridgeline the length of the tarp and anchoring it to the tarp tieout on the solos, I was able to get the proper spacing I needed. Once I got the solos set up and hammock hung, I took the ridgeline off and put the tarp back on. It was much quicker this way. Then I used the ridgeline to guy out the doors at one end of the tarp.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Looks good. Im glad you got a good setup.
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

• + New Posts