Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok so I did a dry run and prusiks definitely works. It’s definitely more cumbersome than the hh stock system for the rainfly and seems like you swap lashing the rainfly for not lashing the hammock. For those of you go with a separate rainfly line do you keep the hh stock one or use a different system all together?

Which HH tarp do you have?

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by miarnb View Post
    Ok so I did a dry run and prusiks definitely works. It’s definitely more cumbersome than the hh stock system for the rainfly and seems like you swap lashing the rainfly for not lashing the hammock. For those of you go with a separate rainfly line do you keep the hh stock one or use a different system all together?
    I have several Hennessy tarps and I have used them all with a ridgeline. If you are really wanting to stick with the tarp being connected to the suspension you could use a whoppie sling with a Dutch Biner . This would connect to the continuous loops, the whoppie slings have a small diameter and would work with a prussickknot.
    visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    7745017C-EC64-4CAB-927C-10C0AA54931A.jpegBD8ADACE-FF6B-4926-950A-305E6BC7FCF9.jpegD5D918C2-BD22-42F6-9063-5CA92E277B7B.jpeg9BF0837F-95B6-475F-9EA2-FC984FFBEC0A.jpeg
    This is what I use for my ridge line, the first photo is a titanium Dutch hook attached to zig it line, second is the Hennessy hex tarp attached to the tato tarp connectors, third is the other end of tarp connection to ridgeline and the fourth is a titanium wasp which attaches to the second tree (adjustable).
    Last edited by Trees company; 09-03-2019 at 19:54.
    visualize whirled peas.

TOMINMN: I have the hyperlight. I also have the deep jungle xl but haven't messed with that yet.

I think I'm starting to understand the different options, thanks for the patience all. Originally I was attracted to a new system because I don't like the set up process especially if its wet and the trees are far apart. Is the reason most people modify then to increase adjustability (i.e. separate ridgeline, hardware or solutions that allow for ease of adjustment etc) or alternatively weight (eliminate straps, minimize cord length)?

I did have an idea that the tarp could attach to the loop of the strap with adjustable hardware, but I haven't visualized how that would happen.

I only asked which tarp because the small asym tarp is the trickiest in terms of achieving adequate coverage. It has to be positioned properly from end to end and practically has to be on the netting with wind-driven rain. I bring this up because putting it on a separate ridgeline makes you pay more attention to these details. Larger tarps are a bit more forgiving.
    Yes, the stock HH system can work okay a fair amount of the time but a separate ridgeline adds a lot more versatility in choosing a pitch. Others have mentioned other benefits.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    ...the small asym tarp is the trickiest in terms of achieving adequate coverage. It has to be positioned properly from end to end and practically has to be on the netting with wind-driven rain. I bring this up because putting it on a separate ridgeline makes you pay more attention to these details.
    The Hennessy stock tarp I bough last year came with cords attached for hanging it separately, and on Hennessy Youtube videos Tom seems to be doing it that way also. If it seems like raining, I typically hang the tarp separately close to the hammock, but also attach the "mitten hooks" at the ends of the tarp to the hammock suspension ropes. That way the tarp stays close to the hammock when I enter and the hammock sags.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In most cases the tarp will also sag a bit when the hammock is occupied so most of these all-in-one setups also employ shock cord, at least on the RL and sometimes also on the guy lines.

I fiddled around with that a bit early on in my hammock journey but decided to explore other options. But I realize I am borderline OCD in pursuit of absolute simplicity in backpacking gear in general.
    I use shock cord, and it has mostly solved any sag problems, which are real. The thing I figured out early on with the HH system was that that tiny tarp is given the best chance of providing adequate coverage if it sags down with the RL, staying close to in contact with the RL. But, then you have a tarp that flaps with a LOT of noise in the wind. This I know from personal experience gained on my first ever hammock trip in the Wind River Mountains of WY n 2006.

But when I started tying the tarp to the trees, I found that when the hammock sagged with my weight, the already minimal coverage of the tarp was now well above the hammock RL, and I felt really exposed on the sides and ends. Other than just going to larger tarps tied to the tree, I found that adding shock cord to the ends and/or sides helped a lot when I used the no cord stock set up. Combined with the HH Super Shelter, I have in fact even always felt this was my most bomb proof set up against wind and side ways rain. Even before I discovered the shock cord trick, I have slept through some horrendous wind with no effect on warmth, but plenty of noise and me being bounced around by the wind.

As for using with continuous loops, if the CLs are long enough, what about just putting the Prussick on one side of the CLs? Only problem being most CLs are slippery devils, and you will have to come up with something that will grip the CLs. Most likely, at the least, you will need additional bites in your Prussick. And might have to make it from the right material that can hopefully get a grip on the CL.

Images
    BTW, the original tip from HH to deal with the tarp sag and flapping that happened once occupied was to hang a weighted stuff sack from the Rt and Lt tarp tie outs. Just take a small stuff sack, fill with sand or mud or pebbles, and hang from the O rings on the ends. This definitely helped to reduce flapping in the wind. But I found permanently attached shock cord more convenient.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I found that adding shock cord to the ends and/or sides helped a lot when I used the no cord stock set up.
    I tried shock cords at the ends, but it forces me to put the prusiks further away from the tarp, which means that distance between the tarp and the hammock increase compared to no shock cord (because the hammock ropes are at an angle when you are in the hammock). That's why I removed the shock cords and now hang the stock tarp separately, BUT if it looks like raining, I hang the tarp so low that the hammock ropes touch and rise the tarp ends a little when there's nobody inside. That way the tarp is close enough when I'm inside. I do use shock cords on the sides, though to help keeping the tarp tight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast