Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ

Alternative to Thread Injectors

In spite of my best efforts I feel myself being lured into the world of hammock DIY. My current project is making straps for an ENO Doublenest and then maybe replacements for Hennessey treehuggers.

I bought twenty feet of one inch polypro strap and cut it into two ten foot pieces. Now I need to make a two inch loop in one end of each strap. In the past I've used a Speedy Stitcher; it is certainly a stitcher but I don't know about the speedy part. The fine thread (#160 waxed polyester) is strong enough to hold the loop but I think it may damage the polypro over time. In the absence of a thread injector can anyone recommend a needle and thread combination to hand stitch the loop?

I have a Tandy Leather shop within 1/2 a mile of work and Zack White's Leather on my weekend commute for sources. Thanks.
    Last edited by CJK; 03-16-2010 at 22:34.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    #14 or 16 Sailmakers needle and waxed twine (tape) would certainly do it. That's whats used for sewing in the grommets on the corners of sails if they are not pressed with hydraulics.

You mentioned you had a speedy stitcher, something around the same size needle and thread, which kind of ignores your orginal reason for going smaller. I don't see any significant damage to the poly straps from the speedy stitcher.

You could get by with a smaller needle and smaller thread, but larger needles are easier to work with and since your stitches will likely not be consistent, you do need to use larger thread for hand stitching. Realistically, you could probably take any old hand sewing needle and a normal poly thread and do a good enough job with it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Your best bet IMO would be to tie the loops rather than stitch them by hand. I am not suggesting hand stitching would not be appropriate. It most certainly would, but unless you have a "sailors palm" (special type of thimble that fits in the palm) you could find the process extremely tedious and difficult. A figure eight knot on a bight would provide a very effective loop leaving enough to serve as the suspension lines for most any purpose except the great northwest redwoods and such.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Hi CJK,

I've made all my straps by hand-sewing them. (Mostly over lunch hour!) I bought a small variety pack of needles at a JoAnn Fabric, and just use whatever one I happen to pull out. After the first loop I did (which failed immediately upon loading, glad I was in "testing" mode!) I learned to sew the recommended double "X-in-a-box" pattern. (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...searchid=36914)

I've had no strap failures since I switched!

• + New Posts