Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Senior Member Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    I have a 8' ridgeline on my hammock & a 10' WS at each end of my hammock, so can hang from 6" diameter trees more than 28' apart, I can't imagine going any further than that. My "tree huggers" can go around trees up to about 14' diamiter.

    I do carry about 12' of 1/8" Dynema so IF I really had to go larger or further, I could use that as an extension, at least at one end.

    OH, so I guess my answer is: Yes in a twisted sort of way.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

  2. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Qc,Ca
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark camo NX200
    Insulation
    Z-liner,TR Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I have a 8' ridgeline on my hammock & a 10' WS at each end of my hammock, so can hang from 6" diameter trees more than 28' apart, I can't imagine going any further than that. My "tree huggers" can go around trees up to about 14' diamiter.

    I do carry about 12' of 1/8" Dynema so IF I really had to go larger or further, I could use that as an extension, at least at one end.

    OH, so I guess my answer is: Yes in a twisted sort of way.
    14' diameter???
    Are you sure about the numbers?
    ADD it all up and it comes to 44 FOOT long tree straps,you surely must need a duffle bag just to carry them around

    Srry,i couldn't hold myself on this one.

  3. #13
    Senior Member ikemouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ky
    Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Posts
    1,498
    honsetly i made my whoppie slings with 19 feet of the lightest amsteel i could get. That wy i don't have to carry around extensions all the time. My tree huggers are 6 feet long. I have only been limited 1 time in my distance, and it was because of my tarp ridgeline, which i have no made longer. =P Has anyone made whoppie slings out of dynemma yet? Im a light guy (150lbs) so i think im going to swap out my amsteel for dynemma, get it even lighter baby! =P

  4. #14
    Senior Member Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark-O-Phile View Post
    14' diameter???
    Are you sure about the numbers?
    ADD it all up and it comes to 44 FOOT long tree straps,you surely must need a duffle bag just to carry them around

    Srry,i couldn't hold myself on this one.
    Sigh!

    I meant 14 INCHES! Not 14 feet. Yea, 44 feet of webbing (88' for 2) would be more than i could carry in my pack, by itself.


    In all fairness, I would not have been able to resist either.
    Well, I could have, but would have chosen not to.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

  5. #15
    Sweeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Posts
    525
    Images
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    I don't worry too much about my whoopies being too short because I carry some pretty long straps. So between the whoopies and the straps I can cover a lot of distance between two trees.
    BTW, which campsite was that at cumberland??
    That was #12, with the cut through path to the bath house, which was good since we had one of the guys wife with us!
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

    Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

  6. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Qc,Ca
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark camo NX200
    Insulation
    Z-liner,TR Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Sigh!

    I meant 14 INCHES! Not 14 feet. Yea, 44 feet of webbing (88' for 2) would be more than i could carry in my pack, by itself.


    In all fairness, I would not have been able to resist either.
    Well, I could have, but would have chosen not to.


    I know you would have done the same,thanks for that priceless moment,almost peed in me pants!

    Clark-O-Phile

Similar Threads

  1. Extra Loops?
    By Alpine Dad in forum Wilderness Logics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 13:02
  2. What does extra down do???
    By HammockPete in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 14:58
  3. What to do with extra down???
    By Jtupnsmoke in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 21:36
  4. Extra credit anyone?
    By 2Questions in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 17:46
  5. Storing food & extra pack
    By Greg H in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 09:52

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •