Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

No hardware ridgeline tie-out

I got the following idea from TeeDee's post in the Tarp ridgeline challenge thread. Since I don't use a continuous ridgeline, but prefer to use two lines, I have adapted the method, but it can also be used with a continuous ridgeline to eliminate the Figure 9.

I used 1.75mm Zing-It for the Prusik loop and the guyline. I used 18" of Zing-It for the loop with 1.5" buries. This gives just enough room to put two Prusik knots on the loop without the buries interfering. The first step is to put a Prusik on a small object. I used a needle for the pictures, but a short section of tubing works equally well. The buries should be on the side of the loop, not opposite the first Prusik. The second step is to put a Prusik knot on the guyline. At this point, it should look like this:

The third step is to pass the free end through the tarp's D-ring. In a final step, the free end is passed through the Prusik knot made in step 1. This is pretty easy if you use a needle or a short section of tubing for the first Prusik. The final arrangement looks like this:

To use this, pass the end of the line around the tree and use a toggle (trail stick) to secure it. Then, simply hold the Prusik knot closest to the free end and pull on the free end. It is pretty easy to get the tarp nice and tight since there is a mechanical advantage.

I have had my tarp out in a pretty strong wind and it seems to hold fine, even with the 1.75mm Prusik loop on 1.75mm line. This configuration should double the load where the Prusiks begin to slip. I've only used this a couple of times, but so far I like it. No knots, no hardware and pretty easy to use.
    Last edited by Schneiderlein; 03-14-2010 at 14:56. Reason: Had trouble counting to three.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thats pretty slick. I couldnt envision it till you posted the pictures.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Thats pretty slick. I couldnt envision it till you posted the pictures.
    When TeeDee first posted his picture with the toggled Prusik loops, I had a hard time figuring out how this would work. Once you try it out though, it is pretty simple.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Very nice explanation. Elegant functional simplicity.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i'm rather slow. can you post further pictures as to how this ties out to the trees? i'm looking to get rid of my figure 9s but don't want to mess with knots

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    i'm rather slow. can you post further pictures as to how this ties out to the trees? i'm looking to get rid of my figure 9s but don't want to mess with knots
    It attaches to the trees with toggles. There is a toggle on the main line with a fixed eye on the end. Wrap the fixed eye around a tree and toggle it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    Very nice explanation. Elegant functional simplicity.
    Thanks. The credit really goes to TeeDee. He illustrated the principal, I just adapted it to use a single loop for the two Prusiks.

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    Like opie said, a toggle is used. I did not put a toggle on the main line, but use a stick instead. In the first picture above, you see that the tree end of the line has a loop at the end. Pass that around the tree and pull a bit of the line going to the hammock through the end loop. This will form a loop through which a small stick is passed to secure the line to the tree. If you need more pictures, let me know. It will be tomorrow before I can take them, though.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    That is a pretty neat rig ... thanks for posting it.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings
    I have never used toggles in my set ups can someone comment on using a twig/small stick as a toggle. Would you not need to keep the line under tension all the time to prevent the toggle from dropping to the ground?

Another idea why not larks head one end straight onto the D ring and then form the other prussic as you have described above and fix over the ridgeline.

Would this variant work for a single ridge line?
    Bazza

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza2154 View Post
    I have never used toggles in my set ups can someone comment on using a twig/small stick as a toggle. Would you not need to keep the line under tension all the time to prevent the toggle from dropping to the ground?
    The stick works well as a toggle. Unless the stick is really short and smooth, I don't think there is any danger of it dropping to the ground during setup.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza2154 View Post
    Another idea why not larks head one end straight onto the D ring and then form the other prussic as you have described above and fix over the ridgeline.

Would this variant work for a single ridge line?
    I don't quite follow. With a single ridgeline, you could use the tensioning system with the addition of one toggle on a Prusik loop on the ridgeline. In this case, you would not go through the D-ring before putting the second Prusik on the line, you would put the loop formed by the two Prusiks around the toggle, similar to what TeeDee described in his original post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast