Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

Bike packing: Loop around Mt. Fuji (September 7-8)

Cycled in clock wise loop starting from Mt. Fuji station on the north end and finishing at Lake Kawaguchi station. I knew a typhoon was barreling in on the second day and wanted to beat the initial winds and rain before the eye crossed Tokyo late in the evening.

Took the train to Mt Fuji Station wondering whether I’ll get a good view of the iconic mountain. As we got to closer to the destination, the conductor announced that we should look towards our left.

From the train window

Mt. Fuji station, Yamanashi

My first stop was a visit to the Yoshida trail. This is one of the two official starting point in the climb up Mt Fuji, but most people take the bus to the fifth station. Yoshida trail is the oldest and most popular route. Completing it will reward you with a special certificate honoring your full climb to the summit.

I swapped my 700x40c in favor of 700x28c, no backpack this time.

The trail head and possible future off road adventure?

Lake Yamanaka

Oyama, Shizuoka

Gotemba

Fuji City

Camped at The Green Campground inside Marubi Nature Park
    https://www.fuji-marubi.jp/キャンプ場案内-ご予約方法/
    ¥500 per night per person. No fires except in a designated area. Internet reservation required.

The site is operated by Fuji City and used by their school children. There are only a few campsites good for hammocks. I had reserved site #28 after seeing photo of the spot from their website. But after arriving to check in, the operator warned me that most of the east wing where I was going to camp was crowded with school children. The west wing, more than 100 meters away only had 2 groups and I was told I could take any open spot there.

So Lucky 13

The mosquitoes were all out and a hornet made its patrol, harassing me every 15 minutes. It took a while to set up camp as I was hot, exhausted and in no mood to further exert my body.

Day 1 was mostly downhill but with an exceptionally hard climb near the end under a brutal sun. I should have enjoyed speeding down the hillside but I knew all the elevation loss had to be made up tomorrow.

At camp, I was still struggling to get my body cool and the heat and humidity of the day’s end did not help.

Luckily the temps dropped with the sun and I was able to sleep comfortably.

I woke up the next day an hour later than I had planned... curse you comfy hammock and er, fatigue...

Need to get going

Morning, Fuji City and the storm has not yet arrived

Fujinomiya

Another look, Fujinomiya

The next three hours were a grind back up. No jelly legs this time but I really started to worry if I can manage to complete it in time.

A much needed rest along a busy road

Near the finish at Lake Kawaguchi

Day 2

Last edited by alt.thomas; 09-09-2019 at 15:38.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Great post! Lovely photos and looks like a real accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

Nice report! I really dig the graphs as they helped convey the conditions you were dealing with which looked tough Looked like a beautiful challenge

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Wow, I didn't realize it got that hot and humid there. Great scenery!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    I was stationed in Yokosuka for 6 1/2 years and climbed Fuji-San twice.

Man do I miss Japan...

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBOZax View Post
    Nice report! I really dig the graphs as they helped convey the conditions you were dealing with which looked tough Looked like a beautiful challenge

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Great post! Lovely photos and looks like a real accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I think I would have enjoyed it better if I had more time but I'll take any opportunity to get out.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize it got that hot and humid there. Great scenery!
    I got so burned. Still peeling my skin off my arm.

Images
    I still have my Mt. Fuji hiking stick. Back then(1964), you could drive your own car up to Station 5, I think(I was 12). I was feeling sick that day so Mom and I went back down from Station 6 while Dad and brothers went higher. Each station had a woodburning brand; you could get your stick stamped. We could see Mt. Fuji from our neighborhood on clear days.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    I still have my Mt. Fuji hiking stick. Back then(1964), you could drive your own car up to Station 5, I think(I was 12). I was feeling sick that day so Mom and I went back down from Station 6 while Dad and brothers went higher. Each station had a woodburning brand; you could get your stick stamped. We could see Mt. Fuji from our neighborhood on clear days.
    They still do the sticks, mine has two sets of brands from my climbs. You could see Fuji from the base at Yokosuka (52 miles straight line distance) on a clear day, and if you had a really clear day after a typhoon or big rain came through it seemed like you could reach out and touch it. Yokosuka just got walloped last week by Faxai, a Cat 3 typhoon.

You can still park at Station 5, and the bowl of ramen at the top was the best ramen you could ever hope to eat!

• + New Posts