Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For supplies, I went to fabric/hobby stores like Joanns and Michael's. I picked up some knitting needles - a packet of small ones for 2.2 mm and 1.74 mm work and a #5 needle for 7/64ths. A few other tools too - like an awl to widen holes. I visited a music store and was given some scrap guitar wire to make a "puller" for the smallest line.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    I am starting doing my splicing as well.
    I am using 7/64 amsteel blue from Dutchwaregear for UCR, softshackles and continuous loop. Zing it for tarp ridgeline/tie outs.You can buy amsteel from ripstopbytheroll as well.
    As tools mostly using tools from Aliexpress.

Loop turner for long buries
    HTB1RsDQGrSYBuNjSspiq6xNzpXaY.jpg
    https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/32901...274233edz13sCc

Set of Loop turners for short buries
    HTB1YYIHSFXXXXcYXXXXq6xXFXXXK.jpg
    https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/32825...274233edPNgoFS

Awl for widening holes in rope
    HTB1UGuePNTpK1RjSZFMq6zG_VXa1.jpg
    https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/32997...chweb201603_60

Loop turners are cheap so buy two each of them in case you broke one.

here is results UCR
    IMG_20190903_194512.jpg
    IMG_20190903_195014.jpg
    IMG_20190903_195024.jpg
    IMG_20190903_195040.jpg
    Last edited by shichimi; 09-12-2019 at 02:19.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I like Tac Blades on YouTube for splicing information. Also, I took advantage of this offer twice now:

Cheap(ish) Amsteel – 600'
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

It is very good quality product. I could send you some to get you started. If interested, PM me.

Aside from the fact that you'll want to use the materials mentioned, you might want to get something really cheap and large to get a feel for the methods. A hunk of polypro (like waterski tow rope) comes to mind. It has the same basic hollow weave construction and you can really see what you're doing. Getting the basics down without the frustration of dealing with tiny cordage such as Lash-It will build a lot on understanding and confidence before moving on to the making of your hammock stuff. I've been splicing various cordage for decades and was slightly intimidated by Lash-It and Zing-It the first couple of times I worked with it. Of course, older eyes don't help.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Aside from the fact that you'll want to use the materials mentioned, you might want to get something really cheap and large to get a feel for the methods. A hunk of polypro (like waterski tow rope) comes to mind. It has the same basic hollow weave construction and you can really see what you're doing. Getting the basics down without the frustration of dealing with tiny cordage such as Lash-It will build a lot on understanding and confidence before moving on to the making of your hammock stuff. I've been splicing various cordage for decades and was slightly intimidated by Lash-It and Zing-It the first couple of times I worked with it. Of course, older eyes don't help.
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't even think to not make my first splicing project something for my hammock, but it makes sense considering I don't really feel like falling on my rear.
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

First, I am a n00b when it comes to Amsteel and Whoopie sling suspensions. But, I did just go through this process and make my own whoopie slings (2 pair), continuous loops (4 pair), and "improved" soft shackles (4 pair). Overall, these were GREAT intro projects for working with amsteel. By the end of all that DIYing, I was confident in my abilities to make the splices correctly, and to do the work in a neat & efficient manner.

I used 1/8" 12-strand amsteel (this is what I ordered before I knew about 7/64" amsteel). A 12ga ground wire from household electrical cable as a fish tool (it is as large as you would want for 1/8" and probably too big for 7/64"). I used some knitting and crochet hooks to help with the opening of holes, etc. A standard utility knife for the cuts (none of the scissors I had on hand would even make a dent in the amsteel), and a sharpie for marking the different lengths. The tools are pretty basic.

For instructional videos, I relied on Ian Young:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBrew...=whoopie+sling

The "Amsteel Continious Loop" video is GREAT. He explains, in easy to follow detail, how to measure and layout splices in amsteel. Start with this video, and make a couple continuous loops as your first projects.

And Tac Blades:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tacblad...?query=amsteel

The "Improved Soft Shackle" video was the technique that I followed. The result works well for me, and seem to be "neater" or "better dressed (as a knot)" than the alternatives I saw.

I watched the "Amsteel Splicing Whoopie" video (in a loop) while I was making mine.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    + on the suggestion to get some water ski tow rope if you are having difficulty with a technique. I bought as scrap (or paid full price at a Marine store) of ¾ or 1 inch 3 foot long piece of Amsteel. It helped me learn my last technique, making an eye loop when only one end of the line was available. Making an eye with only one end available doesn't come up often, but when there is a need, there is a need. The larger piece made it easier to learn the required maneuvers and also undo the work at various stages - including undoing the completed eye so I could go over it again (and again, and again). Also, if I'm showing someone how to make something, that large "demo" piece results in a clearer example.

Ski tow rope isn't as nice or flexible, but it is probably cheaper and has similar benefits as my larger sized "demo" Amsteel.

To be clear, the suggestion isn't to use tow rope instead of amsteel for the finished work. It's just to use the larger material while you are learning something.

I did whip the ends of my piece and I'm pretty sure the cut ends of the tow rope would fry even worse. So they need to be whipped or melted. But if melted, the result needs to be smooth so nothing catches in feed-throughs or buries.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-15-2019 at 13:49.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Another vote for TacBlades videos. I learned a lot from him. I use one of those self healing mats made for sewing. They have measurements on them that are very helpful. A rotary cutter works great on those mats and cuts Amsteel or Zing-it very well.

Splicing is easier than you think and fun to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12