Tarp
    UGQ budget
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    straps, mule tape

1st DIY hammock

Hello All,
    I've ordered material to make my first hammock. I figured a basic gathered end with no channel would be a good place to start. I can always sew a channel later to try that too.

I came across this video and it got me wondering about the safety of just using this modified sheet bend. Any thoughts?

Jay

Images
    That totally works if you’re just horsing around or need a field repair. For something more permanent, a proper whipping looks nicer and uses less of the fabric.

In line with what leiavoia said, I seem to recall an older Shug video in which he goes into his whipping technique on the old green bean hammock. I can't find it, but there's this one which illustrates much the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Mt1piDSgA
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I sew the long seams first, and the end seams last. Then, through each end seam I run some thin cord (any cord will do), pull it tight, and tie it off (any knot will do).

This creates a nice "bulb" of hammockable fabric that you can larkshead a CL behind. If you're nervous about the CL slipping off, give it an extra wrap or two behind the bulb.

A normal seam has three layers of fabric which means the bulb is three times thicker than the spot where the CL is larksheaded. Very secure, and you don't have to worry about the quality of your stitching cos it isn't under any direct stress.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ / AHO UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I sew the long seams first, and the end seams last. Then, through each end seam I run some thin cord (any cord will do), pull it tight, and tie it off (any knot will do).

This creates a nice "bulb" of hammockable fabric that you can larkshead a CL behind. If you're nervous about the CL slipping off, give it an extra wrap or two behind the bulb.

A normal seam has three layers of fabric which means the bulb is three times thicker than the spot where the CL is larksheaded. Very secure, and you don't have to worry about the quality of your stitching cos it isn't under any direct stress.
    If you're going to the trouble to sew the ends, may as well stick a channel in there and use a continuous loop. The first line of stitching is the most difficult, two more to finish up the channel are simple. Just line up the foot on the previous stitch, lock it in and mash the pedal. Five minutes, tops.

You don't need a channel to use a CL. I think the vote is pretty well split between using a channel or not. Depends on the effect you want to achieve.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Jay S, I used that exact video for my gathered end hammcok. I was able to experiment with the lay by pulling a little extra fabric on one side of center. It gave me a bit of a flatter lay. Be aware though, I used a nylon type rope that came with a cheap Hammock and the knot locked on too tight to remove. I had to cut it beng careful not to cut the hammock material.

I'm going to re tie it using a 7/64" amsteel loop.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    In line with what leiavoia said, I seem to recall an older Shug video in which he goes into his whipping technique on the old green bean hammock. I can't find it, but there's this one which illustrates much the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Mt1piDSgA
    It is 6:42 into video below.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts