Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Wondering what hammock is in the video. It's lovely.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    I hung mine from the ceiling for a while (standard 50s house, ceiling is about 7 1/2 feet). Yes, I like more sag on the mayan and latin american hammocks. They are meant to be stretchy and conform to your body more, and the looser hang angle seems to make that work better. I prefer the latin hammocks (standard square weave) to the mayan (loose vertical weave) except in very warm weather, which is what the mayans are particularly good for. Enjoy, and I look forward to seeing some pictures and hearing your review.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Hey Ashes, Welcome! I enjoyed your post. Mayan hammocks (and also a few Mayan people I've known) are dear to my heart. I grew up sleeping in Mayan and Brazilian hammocks, and I still do (no beds in my house). Mayan remains my favorite for hot summer, and Brazilian for cool/cold weather. I also use 13-ft long gathered-end hammocks because they're so easy to make, care for, and pack, plus all the fabric choices, but IMO a GE hammock is no match for the floating-on-air comfort of a big well-made Mayan.

There's some useful info about hanging a Mayan on seasidehammocks.com, where you bought your Tommy Hamaca hammock. (And check out the simple pulley & weight magic that raises it up overhead when not occupied!) I hang mine at about 45 degrees, 6-1/2 to 7 ft high on the walls or on a DIY stand (height is approx 1/2 of the hammock's total length). I find that the sag takes optimal advantage of the width and flexibility of the mesh to give a great diagonal or crosswise lay, especially if it's as wide as yours is. That 10 ft width would be ridiculous for a cross-woven fabric hammock, but luxurious for a wonderful flexy Mayan!

There have been several discussions on HF and elsewhere about hanging & care of them, and a lot of every-night hammockers who appreciate a good Mayan hammock, but you're right that they don't get any press from the cottage vendors. The majority interest in hammocks is for hiking & camping. We won't likely ever see the cottage vendors offering Mayan-style hammocks on HF because they're such a different thing than hikers/campers want. Also they're quite labor-intensive to weave, and the profit margin for selling Mayan hammocks in the USA comes from importing them in bulk from companies in Mexico that employ local artisans to weave them. Any claims of "fair trade" are hard to verify without knowing the mark-ups by distributor & retailer. I doubt many of us could afford a Mayan-style hammock of similar quality that was hand-woven in the USA, if we could even find one! The materials alone would cost more than an authentic Mayan hammock. I made a small one (for a hanging chair) about 10 years ago from an old article showing good directions to weave such a hammock. Here's the link, if you'd like to try! http://web.archive.org/web/201206290...om/Lacing.html Now there's also Derek Hamilton's directions at https://theultimatehang.com/2013/07/...mayan-hammock/ with bigger how-to drawings.

I hope you'll achieve blissful comfort with your Mayan hammock! Please do share your findings. There are a good number of us who surely will appreciate your reports.

If memory is correct, I believe Hannibal hung at least some of his, from the ceiling joists. 8 ft. Height, and whatever space between points you need.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12