Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Hammock promotional video?

I was checking out posts regarding attitudes of employees of Georgia State Parks regarding the use of hammocks, and responses varied from 'enthusiastic' to 'hostile'. Of course, hostility to the use of hammocks in a state park is generally the result of ignorance, or maybe a better word is unfamiliarity, on the part of park officials and employees about the sport. I was wondering if anybody, Shug or anyone, has maybe done a video directed to park personnel and addressing their legitimate concerns about the use of hammocks in the parks? I would like to get a state representative to introduce a bill establishing a uniform policy for all Georgia state parks regarding the use of hammocks. Naturally, a video by an authoritative source would be a great help. I'm thinking that somebody has probably already done that. Hoping, anyway.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    I was checking out posts regarding attitudes of employees of Georgia State Parks regarding the use of hammocks, and responses varied from 'enthusiastic' to 'hostile'. Of course, hostility to the use of hammocks in a state park is generally the result of ignorance, or maybe a better word is unfamiliarity, on the part of park officials and employees about the sport. I was wondering if anybody, Shug or anyone, has maybe done a video directed to park personnel and addressing their legitimate concerns about the use of hammocks in the parks? I would like to get a state representative to introduce a bill establishing a uniform policy for all Georgia state parks regarding the use of hammocks. Naturally, a video by an authoritative source would be a great help. I'm thinking that somebody has probably already done that. Hoping, anyway.
    I have not made a video to that point as I never camp in State Park car sites but sometimes in the backcountry sites. Rangers rarely go to those sites as I usually see them driving around on patrol.
    Now I have a Tensa4 stand if I need to camp at a car site as they also like you to be over the tent pads. Too many restrictions for me.
    I find many folks angry towards hammocks But look at muddy bare tent sites on trails. Tit for tat.
    Though some Minnesota State Parks are lightening up but this one is way North. Check the yellow Visitors Alert Box......https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_pa...00193#homepage

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’m not aware of any videos like this.

You might want to reach out to the Palmetto State hangers to see how they work with the state parks in South Carolina. I’ve been to some of their hangs and they donate some proceeds to the park (at least they did) and do educational efforts as well.

Florida may have a group as well but I’m not as familiar with all they’ve done or how it’s structured. I believe they worked with the state when they were deploying rules on strap width requirements in the parks.

Derek at the Ultimate Hang may have some ideas as well.
    There’s also some info on the Leave No Trace website about hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great idea, but...................the results might not be what you want. Government being what it is, may make a "uniform policy" of no hammocks allowed . (from their prospective, its just easier to say no to everyone) I hope it doesn't come to that. I live about 40 min from FDR state park at Pine Mountain. (and camp there often, especially the backcountry sites on the pine mountain trail) They are really laid back, and hammock friendly---It would be a shame to have that change. (ON the other hand, if the official policy favored hammocks, that would be a good thing!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, the Florida state parks have a 1" strap rule for all things you attach to a tree:

Hammock use and any other associated lines may be attached to trees that are minimum of 12 inches in diameter measured at chest height and using a minimum of 1 inch wide flat web straps. Some parks may provide hammock posts instead of trees.
    The problem is...the rule literally makes using your tarp ridge line a violation. I'm not an arborist, but I doubt that Zing-It wrapped around a tree to support a tarp is doing any damage. However, if a park ranger interprets the rule this way, sol. In another thread, posters were talking about alternatives like attaching the ridge line to your hammock suspension. I guess you could use a tree hugger, and larkshead the ridge line thru the hugger loops.

Also, county parks have different rules...example, Orange county parks don't allow anything attached to trees.

I think the people that need to get educated are the casual campers that bring out lounging hammocks with rope suspensions. I think they're the reason for outright bans in the first place. A lot of parks have alcohol bans as well. I think that is probably more about litter than the drinking, but an outright ban solves the issue. Ngl, I sneak in booze and beer...I just don't make it obvious or litter.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    The problem is...the rule literally makes using your tarp ridge line a violation.
    In my early ignorance, I was using tree huggers for my zing-it ridgeline. If I was a proper citizen, I would still be using them today...but I decided to take the easy road and stop bothering with them. I'm pretty sure I killed zero trees with that rinky dink tarp, though.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have not made a video to that point as I never camp in State Park car sites but sometimes in the backcountry sites. Rangers rarely go to those sites as I usually see them driving around on patrol.
    Now I have a Tensa4 stand if I need to camp at a car site as they also like you to be over the tent pads. Too many restrictions for me.

Shug
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw a video by a kayaker who does some backpacking in the off season. Went to FDR State Park in January. I thought, hey, that's not very far away from me so checked out the rules. Boy! Page after page. Including that you have to designate which camp site you are going to use, and, if for some reason, you do not use that site, you have to, of all things, "call" them from the trail and arrange to use another site. On top of that, it's $10 or more per person per night for a back country site. So I understand. Still, it irks me to see this sort of thing.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I'm wondering if there are any states, in addition to maybe South Carolina as already suggested, that do it "right" regarding state parks so that we might copy what they do? I remember thinking years back, after following a cyclist's coast to coast bike packing trip, that California was much more generous with state park rules, access, and cost than Georgia. Not sure if that was true then or is today.

Thanks for all of the great input.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Proper info is good.

Michigan decided they have too many trees, so they basically invited everyone and their brother to come out and start hanging...properly or not. I like the photo though. He forgot his flannel shirt, earbuds, skinny jeans, PBR and truckers hat...but made up for it with the flannel print hammock!

Mr. Smartypants Schumacher knows everything about hammocks though...they kill trees.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    So Shug ... You've hung once or twice (or hundreds of times). How many trees have you killed?

Schumacher - what a goofus.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast