DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Simply Light T.D.
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix6579 View Post
    So here is an idea...for those that dehydrate their own food...would anyone be interested in a dehydrated meal cook off? Bring you best DIY meals and have a blind taste test to see who’s the best. I’d be happy to throw some money into a Dutch, RSBTR, or other vendor gift certificate for the winner.
    I'm in for that! Sent all three teenagers with their Venturing Crew on a 55mi AT section hike this summer with absolutely NO commercial meals - dehydrated and vacuum sealed every one myself for the 6 day trip. We started testing them out at HC 2019 on Friday night in the parking lot as a matter of fact! From there, I had 5 mos to practice and get it right. Definitely learned a few things that I'm more than willing to share.
    For a good place to start, you can download "The Backcountry Feast" off Amazon, typically for ~$2.99.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by BookwormStorm View Post
    Alright y'all, please excuse this for being so long, but I have some questions. (And if this is the wrong place to ask this stuff, let me know and I will move it ASAP).

I haven't been able to make it to a HangCon yet, for a few reasons, but it mostly falls down to not having the funding to be able to do what needs to be done to make it there. Even though I am not totally new to hammocks, I am accumulating my gear at a snails pace, and when it really boils down to it, I need a whole new set-up to be able to make it and not freeze to death at night. And I'm pretty sure that all the experienced hammockers will be laughing wholeheartedly at me trying to get set up, I'm not able to make it out often so I'm not very good at it yet lol. I had already accustomed myself to the idea that I wouldn't be able to make it to HangCon '20 for this very reason combined with how difficult it will be for my husband to be able to take time off work in January.

BUT.

Now that I've gone through the thread and seen that there is a chance that HangCon '20 may be the last, I am now dead set on giving it my darndest to try and make it down. All you HangCon veterans can you give me some advice on things like- should I go ahead and cry just the one time and get a 0 degree UQ? If I do get a 0 degree UQ, should I go with something more like a 30 or 40 degree TQ? I tend to be a colder sleeper in general. How about straps? Is 10 feet long enough, should I go longer? Would it be a good idea for me to build myself a stand of some sort that I can bring in case there aren't enough tree spots? I have a LONG drive to make from West Ky, about 11 hours not counting stops, so I'd like to try and get myself as prepared as possible so I don't get all the way down there and realize that some item I brought with me isn't sufficient. If I am able to make it, I plan to be there the 16th and leave the day after it's over so I can offer my help where it's needed. Everyone always makes it look like so much fun and I've been so frustrated the last few years since I heard of it here on the forums that things haven't panned out for me to be able to go.

So everyone send me all the good vibes you can muster that things will come together for me to make it down. And if you've got advice you can offer me at all about things I should or should not worry about having with me I'd be mighty grateful to you. If you've read through this whole confusing thing, I thank you so much for taking the time.

Hope to see you all there, and if not, you guys all have to have a little bit of extra fun for me while you're there. Have a wonderful day y'all!
    Underquilt: I live in mid-Georgia and went with the 0* plus a bit of overstuff in a Hammock Gear Phoenix Econ 3/4 length underquilt because I am a cold sleeper. Turned out that was poor judgment. It was only good for the winter months and over-kill for many of those nights. I had nothing for the rest of the year. So I went to a 20* unit, which will do for most of the winter, and a 40* unit for the rest of the year that isn't winter. Then, on those really cold nights, I can stack the two to get down to low teens or even 0, which is a rare event here.

Top insulation: Here is were you can save some money, because, as nice as dedicated top quilts are, they are pricey and unnecessary. You can use any good sleeping bag as a top quilt, and you can get some really nice deals on those. I went with a tapered rectangular AegisMax bag from Amazon for around $90. I zipped it up about 18" on the side and use it as a quilt. It has a 52* comfort rating, which I think is pretty accurate. It uses 800 fill-power down and has a lot of loft. I also made a top quilt out of a CostCo Down throw by putting a few KamSnaps across the bottom and a bit up the side. I use this as a booster and can easily get down into the 40's comfortably with the combination. I do have a 15* dedicated t/q that I can use if necessary, but it uses 700 fill-power down and is a bit bulky. If the AegisMax seller puts the bag on sale, I plan to get another one to stack with the first on the coldest nights. If you do use a sleeping bag as a top quilt, though, be sure to replace the metal zipper pull with a cord. You don't want any nasty rips during the night.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    God willing I will be seeing you there, then.
    All signed up and ready to assist chefs n cleanups.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    God willing I will be seeing you there, then.
    All signed up and ready to assist chefs n cleanups.
    Woot! Looking forward to seeing you again Loki.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Whoever made the smoked gouda mac and cheese that has been absent from Hangcon the past two years...i need you...or your mac and cheese back in my life...just sayng...

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix6579 View Post
    Whoever made the smoked gouda mac and cheese that has been absent from Hangcon the past two years...i need you...or your mac and cheese back in my life...just sayng...

That was Sweet T. She is the wife of FGREEN. Hopefully they will make it again, since they live in Florida now I think.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    HangCon!!! HangCon!!!

Sorry...every time I check the sign up sheet I get more excited! January can't get here soon enough!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I can't promise, as things frequently don't work out, but I would love to make this my first group hang. So, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise I'll be buying some raffle tickets before long and looking forward to a road trip.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    I can't promise, as things frequently don't work out, but I would love to make this my first group hang. So, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise I'll be buying some raffle tickets before long and looking forward to a road trip.
    What he just said, from another Georgian....
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    It got down into the high 40's last night in North Florida. I decided to spend a night under the stars in the backyard. Used a 30F UQ and a Costco down TQ. The addition of a wool beanie made for a comfortable night even without a tarp. I still need to beef up the top quilt for lower temps but so far, so good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast