Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up VIDEO Trip Report: Group Backpacking Hammock Trip - Standing Indian Loop - Appalachian Trail

On this trip we spent 4 days backpacking the popular Standing Indian Loop along the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina. This stretch in the Nantahala Forest really epitomizes the Green Tunnel moniker that the AT has rightfully earned with the thick canopies and plentiful rhododendron. A lot of the rhodos were still in bloom when we visited at the beginning of July!

I used my trusty Simply Light Designs hammock & tarp as always, this was Devin's first trip after upgrading from a Hennessy Asym Tarp to a Simply Light Designs Trail Haven. Even though we didn't have much rain (at camp) to really test it she enjoyed having the larger tarp. Joey & Cate used spreader bars to set up both of their hammocks under one tarp which was a strategy I hadn't seen used in person before but it did work.

You never know what kind of weather you are going to get in this area, our view on the top of Albert Mountain was, for the most part, obscured by clouds but later in the trip we got to experience awesome views and incredible rolling fog on the top of Standing Indian Mountain. One of the most simultaneously beautiful and mysterious experiences I have had!

Shorter highlight video for anyone who doesn't want all the details: https://youtu.be/s-7wUFXtKD4

Please let me know what you like/don't like about the video, I am working to improve with each trip.

Enjoy the video trip report from our journey!
    Layne

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    The video was good Layne. I definitely enjoyed it.

I've done a little bit of hiking myself, and it's always a bit of a guessing game when it comes to the edit (though I've never posted a video). You did a pretty good job of it IMO.
    Thank you for posting it up and sharing, and congrats on knocking out that loop! The views from Standing Indian & Albert are really something (if the weather cooperates).

u.w. / willin'

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    The video was good Layne. I definitely enjoyed it.

I've done a little bit of hiking myself, and it's always a bit of a guessing game when it comes to the edit (though I've never posted a video). You did a pretty good job of it IMO.
    Thank you for posting it up and sharing, and congrats on knocking out that loop! The views from Standing Indian & Albert are really something (if the weather cooperates).

u.w. / willin'
    Thanks for watching u.w. and glad you enjoyed it!

Standing Indian & Albert are both great, really awesome areas. Every time I go out there I talk to people who have driven from far away to do that loop and it always makes me feel fortunate.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Good job....you've made me put this one up at the top of the lists of hikes for this fall. I've heard others complain about some of the shelters in that area being closed due to bear activity. Did you notice any signs up regarding this?

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    Good job....you've made me put this one up at the top of the lists of hikes for this fall. I've heard others complain about some of the shelters in that area being closed due to bear activity. Did you notice any signs up regarding this?
    Thanks Clis! I’ve never done the loop in fall but I’m sure the views are even more incredible with Autumn colors.

There was no bear activity warnings when we were there in July, the Nantahala Ranger District may be your best bet for the most up-to-date info.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    That was an excellent video. I particularly enjoyed the different camera angles that you used and showing your progress on the map.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    That was an excellent video. I particularly enjoyed the different camera angles that you used and showing your progress on the map.
    Appreciate you sharing what you particularly enjoyed cneill! Videoing this trip was different than my past ones with the size of the group so it's good to hear that you liked the various camera angles throughout.

• + New Posts