DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles

All wet under a winter tarp

Haven't been able to get out in any of the gear I went nuts buying last year, but finally set up in the backyard yesterday using a Tensa4 with tarp extenders and a Dutch winter xenon tarp. Seam sealed the side pull outs last evening. Boy, the extenders are fiddly!

ANYWAY, didn't spend the whole night out in my Sparrow, which is good because the rain moved in. Went out today to lounge in said rain to find wetness in the hammock. Panel pulls are sealed nicely. This is coming in from the top/peak.

9FAD63D9-A141-4975-BCFF-291C7FCA2405.jpg
    4544055F-D797-4F17-B2B9-99BD626188F7.jpg
    DA66262D-001D-46E9-ABF9-CEB47BB2C9B2.jpg

Here's my question: was I supposed to seam seal the center/top seam? Thought it was sewed in a way to make that unnecessary. Or is it the tarp hang? The very top panels were touching this morning as they sagged. Could've tightened it up but seemed just fine yesterday. Shouldn't matter with a waterproof fabric though?

Thoughts? Glad this happened in the backyard and not the wilderness.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Love how the photos were rotated for uploading.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Some say it's not needed but I say seal everything. If you are seeing leaks then it seems required. Are you sure it's not condensation?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I don’t have that tarp but the one time I had water come through my tarp ridgeline was when water pooled along the seam because a pole mod created a valley for it to collect.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vicar7 View Post
    Love how the photos were rotated for uploading.
    Yea, that's a special benefit of using this message board. I always load the images on my laptop and rotate them and save them prior to loading.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by vicar7 View Post
    Haven't been able to get out in any of the gear I went nuts buying last year, but finally set up in the backyard yesterday using a Tensa4 with tarp extenders and a Dutch winter xenon tarp. Seam sealed the side pull outs last evening. Boy, the extenders are fiddly!

ANYWAY, didn't spend the whole night out in my Sparrow, which is good because the rain moved in. Went out today to lounge in said rain to find wetness in the hammock. Panel pulls are sealed nicely. This is coming in from the top/peak.

9FAD63D9-A141-4975-BCFF-291C7FCA2405.jpg
    4544055F-D797-4F17-B2B9-99BD626188F7.jpg
    DA66262D-001D-46E9-ABF9-CEB47BB2C9B2.jpg

Here's my question: was I supposed to seam seal the center/top seam? Thought it was sewed in a way to make that unnecessary. Or is it the tarp hang? The very top panels were touching this morning as they sagged. Could've tightened it up but seemed just fine yesterday. Shouldn't matter with a waterproof fabric though?

Thoughts? Glad this happened in the backyard and not the wilderness.
    Just a general comment regarding the setup. From the angle of the tarp extension in the first picture, I would suggest shortening the ridge line of the stand until the extension poles are angled away from the stand. You will, of course, need to shorten the suspension of the hammock. I wrap the CLs around the stand ends to make them fit. I just got a Winter Haven
    tarp from Cedar Ridge Outdoors and used it during the remnants of hurricane Dorian with my stand and was completely dry.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Some say it's not needed but I say seal everything. If you are seeing leaks then it seems required. Are you sure it's not condensation?
    Hmm. Good question. I don't see condensation elsewhere on the walls so I think not, but it's a thought. Maybe it's subtle but was able to collect and drop where the inner peaks were touching?

Can't hurt to seal it. This is true!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Ambient conditions cool and foggy?

Almost everything is going to get soaked in those conditions... by far the most challenging in all the great outdoors.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I don’t have that tarp but the one time I had water come through my tarp ridgeline was when water pooled along the seam because a pole mod created a valley for it to collect.
    I almost used the pole mods and *definitely* would have had that flat section. Know what you mean!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Just a general comment regarding the setup. From the angle of the tarp extension in the first picture, I would suggest shortening the ridge line of the stand until the extension poles are angled away from the stand. You will, of course, need to shorten the suspension of the hammock. I wrap the CLs around the stand ends to make them fit. I just got a Winter Haven
    tarp from Cedar Ridge Outdoors and used it during the remnants of hurricane Dorian with my stand and was completely dry.
    I'll have to play with it more. Getting the extensions to stay vertical, let alone leaning away from the stand, was difficult. Nothing holding the extender except the small strap device at the very bottom (until the tarp is in place which adds pull back towards the center). It would fall over with little provocation until the tarp was attached. But if I can get the angles correct...

I also need more practice with the stand alone. Had just a couple inches of suspension outside the CLs for this set up. maybe I'll go direct from stand to CLs next time.

Impressive about staying dry in a hurricane!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast