Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Lots of great info and stories in this thread, I appreciate hearing all of it, thanks folks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    And technically- The bottle you carry the jack goes in your base weight... the jack in your consumables.
    Geez.. I missed that one completely...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    So, we're on the trail for about 5 minutes and encounter a group of about 6 people on their way up from Rt 47 (Big Indian). We learn it is an AMC group and chat briefly with the leader, who is a young lady whose age is about late 20s/early 30s. When she learns that we camped on the summit overnight, she takes one look at my pack and goes ballistic, telling me how I didn't have enough gear and was not only endangering my life but the lives of my would-be rescuers, and that what I had done was the height of irresponsibility. This verbal assault came on so suddenly and unexpectedly that I was really at a loss for a few seconds, one of those "what just happened?" moments. I think the Brits use the word "gobsmacked" for this. After staring at her for a while with a smile on my face, I said "You don't know anything about me, sweetheart" and we walked away.

Sad part is she missed a great opportunity to learn and maybe teach her group. A few questions before she assaulted you might have resulted in a valuable conversation... Sad when that happens. Passing blind judgement sucks..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Sad part is she missed a great opportunity to learn and maybe teach her group. A few questions before she assaulted you might have resulted in a valuable conversation... Sad when that happens. Passing blind judgement sucks..
    lol not exactly a good ambassador for AMC. Certainly the most bizarre behavior I've ever encountered in the hills.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think it all depends on your goals and your budget, but for many people there are a lot less expensive ways to save 5 to 7 oz. A somewhat funny way to think of weight savings in terms of CBU's or "Clif Bar Units" (each one being 2.4oz). For example, the difference between a Hammock Gear Premium 10* TQ at $270 vs the same in their economy line at $170 is 3.05oz or 1.2 CBUs...in other words, the weight savings of just over a single Clif Bar will cost you $100. Again, in some situations every oz counts but I'd rather save the $100 and look to lighten my load by 1.2 CBUs somewhere else.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
    I think it all depends on your goals and your budget, but for many people there are a lot less expensive ways to save 5 to 7 oz. A somewhat funny way to think of weight savings in terms of CBU's or "Clif Bar Units" (each one being 2.4oz). For example, the difference between a Hammock Gear Premium 10* TQ at $270 vs the same in their economy line at $170 is 3.05oz or 1.2 CBUs...in other words, the weight savings of just over a single Clif Bar will cost you $100. Again, in some situations every oz counts but I'd rather save the $100 and look to lighten my load by 1.2 CBUs somewhere else.
    Cost per CBU (I like that ) aside, the more important difference between these 2 is not so much the weight or the down that is used, but the shell material. Econ is 20D and Premium is 10D, and 10D stuffs significantly more compactly than 20D in my experience. And since most hangers use 2 quilts (some use air/CCF mats), that difference is really magnified for hammockers as compared to tenters. So for a backpacker there might also be an associated weight increase for a larger pack to accommodate the increased volume.

Whether that matters or not to any particular individual is of course highly subjective.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-29-2019 at 06:04.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    As mentioned a few different ways, there is no better or cheaper way to lose carry weight than to lose it off your own body.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    As mentioned a few different ways, there is no better or cheaper way to lose carry weight than to lose it off your own body.
    As also stated, 50 lbs on your back is 50lbs no matter how much you weigh.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a buddy who still totes his old synthetic bag from the 70s. It is HUGE and must weigh over 6 pounds.
    When I went through my UL quest (pre-hammock days) I got very light. Tarp and pad on ground. Shires Contrail UL tent. Never had enough food. Tried carrying very little water and often got dehydrated. Often shivered at night. Not much good sleep. But I was proud of such a light pack. Tried a bivy system but always had condensation. Using 2 sheets of TP per poop. Not brushing teeth. Just was not truly comfortable.

But I thought this was the way to go backpacking. Eventually I went for more comfort but was still carrying way less weight than my old heavy backpacking ways when I felt if my pack was not at least 50 pounds then I was doing it wrong.
    It cost me some money to invest in lightweight gear. Like updating your computers....it costs.

These days I consider myself lightweight not ultralight.
    But often it depends on number of days out on the trail, the season and temps, weather and water sources.
    Food, water and fuel are always the weight.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 09-29-2019 at 11:02.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    As also stated, 50 lbs on your back is 50lbs no matter how much you weigh.
    I agree with both, and note that you can also do both to maximize the epiphany.

Combine these with regular moderate aerobic exercise and the benefits are huge... imagine not dreading hills, climbing at a nice steady pace without having to stop and gasp for air and relax your burning muscles, taking a few deep breaths at the top and being totally recovered.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree with both, and note that you can also do both to maximize the epiphany.

Combine these with regular moderate aerobic exercise and the benefits are huge... imagine not dreading hills, climbing at a nice steady pace without having to stop and gasp for air and relax your burning muscles, taking a few deep breaths at the top and being totally recovered.
    I’m a runner and before that a cyclist. Like Shug, consider myself lightweight and not UL. I’ve never weighed all my gear or done a “lighterpack” but do own DCF and 950fp quilts, etc but have a framed pack. My cook kit is minimal and very light. I am a minimalist in all aspects of my life, but I don’t sacrifice comfort to be lightest. What I do own, much is UL but I’m not after sub 10 and I drink a lot of water because I sweat a lot. Taking less is the first step. Whatever else you do or pay for, you have to decide if it’s worth it in the end. It’s easy to lighten your pack by ditching all those little things like stuff sack, the 3 extra socks, the chair, the big knife, the little backup knife, the full sized anything...

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast