Tarp
    HH Hex/Superfly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster/WBDB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Off topic, sort of, but is there any way to save an reuse caulk tubes later on?
    Short term between jobs a nail and electical tape works fine. For longer term I make sure I have product full up to the top (no air pockets), use plumbers putty generously on a screw, then taping works pretty decent. On some of the "really" expensive stuff, I've also been known to plumber putty the plunger gap on the rear. It's all fine and dandy and sealed when you start but it can sometimes push unevenly when using it and create just enough of a gap to allow some air exchange.

If you're counting pennies, and just need a small amount, you can always cut open a seemingly "dead" tube and often have a decent amount of useable product left in the center.
    “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ~Paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Off topic, sort of, but is there any way to save an reuse caulk tubes later on?
    I've found GE Silicone II in small tubes (think toothpaste) at both Home Depot and Wally World. No caulk gun required and you get about half the amount of the regular tubes.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG Top/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    For those using GE Silicone are you using the kitchen and bath(red tube) or the window and door (blue tube)?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQuqOWLtqHGuq
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I have always used blue lettering tubes.
    Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Jungle Explorer Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex/Superfly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster/WBDB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbo219 View Post
    For those using GE Silicone are you using the kitchen and bath(red tube) or the window and door (blue tube)?
    I picked up the blue tube. Window and door.
    “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ~Paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Jungle Explorer Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex/Superfly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster/WBDB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Superfly's in and ready to proceed. Quick question... with the DIY 1:1 method... after the mineral spirits evaporate is there any silicone shrinkage? Just wondering if a second coat is often necessary or if 1 typically get's her done.

TIA
    Last edited by Yarome; 10-06-2019 at 15:22.

Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly

Seam Sealer Brand

I bought a Superfly Silpoly blem tarp last year and had terrible water leakage the first night I used it (when the rains were heavy) despite my having sealed it with the silicone included and following the directions. Most of the leakage was at one of the side pulls. Ultimately, I had excellent results following the exact steps at the following web link. One generous coat of the silicone sufficed as is mentioned in the article. I did not observe any shrinkage to the silicone. It makes me really happy I can pass this forward (Compliments of Philip Werner’s web blog sectionhiker.com....my favorite backpacking information resource)

https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-seam...by-martin-rye/

Note: The silicone referenced in the article is no longer available. The newest iteration of it is now seamgrip+sil. I made sure it would be suitable for Silpoly before purchasing. There is a disclaimer it is only suitable to seal Silnylon or Silpoly fabrics. Below is a link to the pertinent product and this is what I purchased at Amazon and used according to the instructions on the Section Hiker article

https://www.gearaid.com/products/sea...-tent-silicone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 10-07-2019 at 07:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12