DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Togg/Whoopie

Continuous Ridgeline For Hammock?

I watched this, and it got me thinking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GtqH0sF6js

What are the advantages/disadvantages to this system? It seems like 1" mule tape could handle the load and is very light, but is it possible to make a friction knot on mule tape? I'm guessing no since it's purpose built to not have friction. If not, surely high strength webbing would work? It seems like the ability to move the hammock independently and adjust the hang angle via prusik knot might be cool and make hanging the hammock a little faster. You could keep your foot end a little higher relative to the ridgeline out of the box and hang the ridge level. I'm sure someone has tried it, what was it like? Thoughts? Ruminations?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    IMO This would appear to be a full Hardy endeavor. Don't get me wrong I used to do stuff like that when I was younger - along with age comes wisdom usually from bad decision making - anyhow I pretty sure you can do friction knots with mule tape as I believe they do the j bend and the beckett hitch with mule tape.

Entertain this thought for a minute - entertain some of those extreme shots, now how the hell do you get out of your hammock let alone back in? To me these look like publicity shots And really aren't very safe at all.

I do believe you could hang a slack line between two trees however and hang just as this was shown with no problem, but I wonder If the force put on the tree would be much greater And therefore require much larger webbing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Togg/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    IMO This would appear to be a full Hardy endeavor. Don't get me wrong I used to do stuff like that when I was younger - along with age comes wisdom usually from bad decision making - anyhow I pretty sure you can do friction knots with mule tape as I believe they do the j bend and the beckett hitch with mule tape.

Entertain this thought for a minute - entertain some of those extreme shots, now how the hell do you get out of your hammock let alone back in? To me these look like publicity shots And really aren't very safe at all.

I do believe you could hang a slack line between two trees however and hang just as this was shown with no problem, but I wonder If the force put on the tree would be much greater And therefore require much larger webbing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'm not about to hang in a canyon. lol. Was just wondering about the suspension system.

Images
    As absurd as it seems to me now, and as ashamed as I might be to retell the tale, this reminds me of my very first experience camping in a hammock in 2012, having done basically no research prior to trying it.

I purchased a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock, which is a very simple gathered end with big steel hooks at the ends for attaching to the suspension. My suspension of choice was a hank of 550 paracord. Bowline tied around one tree, 2 alpine butterfly knots strategically placed along the length, truckers hitch tensioned and tied off around the second tree. I simply attached the hooks of the hammock through the alpine butterflies. A huge Coughlan's mosquito netting draped over that paracord, no pad or underquilt. It was July and of course I still froze my butt off.

I never hung a hammock like that again and of course I have learned better practices since then. My use of paracord around the trees and hanging the hammock from what was effectively a slackline tied between them was dumb and irresponsible. Karma charged me for my stupidity by dishing me out a miserable night.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    A hammock with a structural ridge line with suspension at 30° or thereabouts is the way to go. You don't want to do a slackline on trees.

There are already many ways to do this that weigh far less than these 260g gizmos, and several ways that weigh nothing, such as Becket, J-Bend, Lapp.

Mule tape does not like slippage—it will shred with a small amount.

This is a slick production by people who don't really know much about hammocks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    This is not a new concept and has been tried many times before.

Hennessy Hammocks made a living on a single line system. The tarp and hammock both connect to the single line.

The issue seems to always be that as the occupant goes into the hammock, the tarp loosens and is no longer taut. Of course, there are a few ways to mitigate these issues.

Go on and test what works for you and report back your findings. It's always fun to see the new and innovative ideas that flow from HF.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robaro View Post
    I watched this, and it got me thinking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GtqH0sF6js
    I watched this and it got me drinking!

I'm definitely not a fan of "hanging higher than you're willing to fall," and definitely not a fan of single line suspension systems. However, occasionally someone comes on HF and "discovers" the single line suspension system and thinks it's wonderful. God bless 'em - maybe you're a kindred spirit.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I have had off the wall suspensions that had just straps contacting tree.
    And as SilvrSurfr notes, there are problems keeping tarp taut at all times.
    Tarp should be neat to prevent pooling of rainwater.
    I’m skeeeerd of heights
    I leave high flying hammocks to the Pros

There are more than several ways to connect hammocks to a taut line
    Prusik loops with extra wraps and climbing rated carabiners
    If taut line or slack line can be accessed before its put up there...you could tie a marlin spike hitch using climbing rated carabiner as toggle and be able to clip to hammock with same carabiner
    Or alpine butterfly loops can be tied in before putting slack line up, then clip in with a climbing rated carabiner to your hammock
    Or J-Bend might work in certain situations

And Theguywitheyebrows has demonstrated a no line tarp suspension using stretchy bungee loops on each end of tarp. Loops attach directly to hammock straps

Just now recall—those high flyers photograph with hammock only and none of the other gear most of us use. But that’s OK for me...make a great visual without being “busy”, kind of abstract, makes a good picture.

Boys and girls do not try this at home
    The high flying pros most likely take precautions and follow thorough safe practices that are followed by most climbers with a great respect for our human abilities to make some errors from time to time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Togg/Whoopie
    I have no intention of hanging high, but all the people in this video have a safety harness and are attached to the slack line. They are already slack lining at great hieghts so are obviously crazy to begin with. Lol.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    They're climbers primarily and hangers second.

You can also hang high in the trees. You just want to remember to think like a climber. Use the safety harness always connected when sleeping.

Other than that, using a slack line to hang from trees may be hazardous to your health by pulling the trees towards each other. Not what you want if the trees are already weakened by disease or damage. To minimize this, always loosen the attachment line(s) to around 25-30*.

For a single line(slack line), droop the line so you have a desired angle. After that, attach your hammock and see if the line attached to the trees are still at a 30*(line section from hammock attachment to tree) while you're in your hammock. You should be ok after that.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast