Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Great advice but I'd like to say a few things about ease of use, bulk and comfort.

Dynnema tarps are much bulkier, cannot be stuffed and in general - are less user friendly. There is nothing simpler or quicker than compressing a Thunderfly tarp, for example.

Wookie underquilts compress more and are easier to use. Think - clip clip and you're done. Wookies make hammocks significantly more comfortable compared to traditional underquilts.

Having items compress more could possibly lead to a smaller pack. Whilst these seem like marginal gains - it adds up to a better experience, both physiologically and mentally.

We have to factor in usability as well as weight.

Whilst a shorter quilt seems like a great idea, it comes with the caveat that you need something else to substitute its lack of efficiency. This comes in the form of a pad or booties. I'd wager ( the pad or booties + a shorter quilt) would weigh a similar amount to a carefully crafted wooki.
    Last edited by hammocks; 09-22-2020 at 05:03.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 11' x 65 in. 1.2 MTN XL
    Tarp
    Paria 12' Hex
    Insulation
    mishmash + HG
    Suspension
    WB Becket Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hammocks View Post
    Great advice but I'd like to say a few things about ease of use, bulk and comfort.
    The post seems to be about weight, not bulk and usability, but you bring up some good points about weight possibly not being the be-all and end-all of trail comfort.

Dynnema tarps are much bulkier, cannot be stuffed and in general - are less user friendly. There is nothing simpler or quicker than compressing a Thunderfly tarp, for example.
    I've heard dyneema tarps are actually easier to field repair than silnylon/silpoly (no personal exeperience), so that may be another thing to consider.

Wookie underquilts compress more and are easier to use. Think - clip clip and you're done. Wookies make hammocks significantly more comfortable compared to traditional underquilts.
    Do wooki underquilts really compress more than something like a HG Phoenix or Warbonnet Yeti?

Whilst a shorter quilt seems like a great idea, it comes with the caveat that you need something else to substitute its lack of efficiency. This comes in the form of a pad or booties. I'd wager ( the pad or booties + a shorter quilt) would weigh a similar amount to a carefully crafted wooki.

I think the idea with partial underquilts is that a lot of people are carrying a foam sit pad for camp anyhow, so that can be pressed into insulation duty when it comes time to sleep, so even if that system is a wash in weight compared to a full length, if the sit pad is coming anyhow, you might as well use it for more than one thing so long as it's comfortable.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Thanks. Great run down.

I think I can bring a 30 degree insulated hammock in between 1.5 - 1.75 lb. I'll let you know how that comes out.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Having items compress more could possibly lead to a smaller pack. Whilst these seem like marginal gains - it adds up to a better experience, both physiologically and mentally.

We have to factor in usability as well as weight.

These observations are a bit subjective IMO.

DCF tarps can be compact if they are folded and rolled vs using snake skins. If the rest of the kit is sufficiently UL, the tarp doesn't have to be a deal breaker in the bulk department.

I don't know what material Wookies are made from, but my 10D and 7D EE Revolt UQs are quite stuffable. Also, I have the suspension adjusted, with stopper knots on the LL3s, such that all I do is clip them in on each end and they're adjusted properly. I don't use any quilt hooks or other gizmos to hold them in place. Just seems to work. I'm 5'9" and I find the coverage with a 55" Revolt to be surprisingly good on the diagonal. As mentioned by cbm9000, I use my little foam sit pad under my heels and that works for me.

In the summer I use a 36 liter pack and my warm weather kit fits in it with room to spare. Last night I had my shoulder season kit out and used my 52 liter pack and had a huge amount of space left over.

Here's a summer setup that weighs about 2.5 lb for hammock, DCF tarp, and both quilts, incl all suspension, guy lines etc.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ) Instagram (me!)

“To equip a pedestrian with shelter, bedding, utensils, food, and other necessities, in a pack so light and small that he can carry it without overstrain, is really a fine art.” ~ Horace Kephart, 1906

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123