Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Tarp repair

The tarp in question is a silnylon Thunder Fly by Warbonnet.
    The tarp is 3 or 4 yrs old and has served me well over several multi day trips. It now has a hole, picture attached. The cause is worth sharing so I will, but first I'll lay out my unsuccessful repair effort. This tear happened on a trip so I tried using ducktape as a temporary fix. The tape didnt stick at all because the silnylon is just to slippery. Any suggestions on repairs will be appreciated.
    How it happened is very weird. Ive done a lot of camping over the yrs, I'm 60ish. I switched to hammocks 7 or 8 yrs ago. I felt very comfortable with my set up, but will now change it. The tarp has an elastic loop on each corned with some Dutch attached to it. The stake, MSR alumunim, goes in the ground and about 1/16 glow line, I think it also came from Dutch, goes over the stake and back to the Dutch Fly. The top is attached to my ridge line using a prusick knot.
    If its windy it stays in the snake skin, but it started spitting rain so I deployed the tarp.. then the wind came up so i tightened things up a bit. About 20 30 minutes later a gust of about 40 mph came threw.
    My MSR stake snapped in half (pic) and the bungee cord fired the stake thew the tarp.
    The new set up will put the shock cord by the stake not on the tarp. That should give it less direction if a similar failur occurs.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ibgary; 09-26-2019 at 07:44. Reason: 8

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Contact Warbonnet and ask on how best to fix your tarp.

When a stick put a hole in my UGQ tarp, Paul from UGQ was extremely helpful in letting me know how I could do my own patch job and also letting me know they do full panel replacements too.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks
    I sent an email waiting to hear back. Ill post what they tell me.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, I recall reading a while back that duct tape is useless on sil-fabrics. Might be worth it to carry something like this: https://www.gearaid.com/products/ten...patch-silnylon

Also, you gotta wonder about that stake (and the rest of them). I didn't think aluminum would snap like that. Now, I've seen plenty of Chinesium stuff that breaks exactly like that. Maybe those MSR Needle stakes are counterfeits? I always thought MSR stakes were red.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Yeah, I recall reading a while back that duct tape is useless on sil-fabrics. Might be worth it to carry something like this: https://www.gearaid.com/products/ten...patch-silnylon

Also, you gotta wonder about that stake (and the rest of them). I didn't think aluminum would snap like that. Now, I've seen plenty of Chinesium stuff that breaks exactly like that. Maybe those MSR Needle stakes are counterfeits? I always thought MSR stakes were red.
    Thanks for that link. Those sil compatible patches must be fairly new... I had need of such just a few months ago and all the sil field repair kits had patches with a little tube of liquid glue.

I made a 'frankencrap' repair of my GG Murmur when I snagged it on a branch and poked a hole in it only the second time I took it out for a hike.

EDIT: LOL it does say "NEW" in the listing, so I guess that's a clue...
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-26-2019 at 10:18.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I made a 'frankencrap' repair of my GG Murmur when I snagged it on a branch and poked a hole in it only the second time I took it out for a hike.
    I have a Murmur and like it, but I think they will puncture themselves if you wait long enough.

Images
    Warbonnet sells this kit, but your tear might be too large for the patch.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...rp-repair-kit/

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I have a Murmur and like it, but I think they will puncture themselves if you wait long enough.
    They certainly live up to the 'gossamer' standard!

Ease of field repair is a big factor and would certainly affect my choice of gear.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I just sew tears up using a zig zag pattern and then seam seal
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    The tarp in question is a silnylon Thunder Fly by Warbonnet.
    The tarp is 3 or 4 yrs old and has served me well over several multi day trips. It now has a hole, picture attached. The cause is worth sharing so I will, but first I'll lay out my unsuccessful repair effort. This tear happened on a trip so I tried using ducktape as a temporary fix. The tape didnt stick at all because the silnylon is just to slippery. Any suggestions on repairs will be appreciated.
    How it happened is very weird. Ive done a lot of camping over the yrs, I'm 60ish. I switched to hammocks 7 or 8 yrs ago. I felt very comfortable with my set up, but will now change it. The tarp has an elastic loop on each corned with some Dutch attached to it. The stake, MSR alumunim, goes in the ground and about 1/16 glow line, I think it also came from Dutch, goes over the stake and back to the Dutch Fly. The top is attached to my ridge line using a prusick knot.
    If its windy it stays in the snake skin, but it started spitting rain so I deployed the tarp.. then the wind came up so i tightened things up a bit. About 20 30 minutes later a gust of about 40 mph came threw.
    My MSR stake snapped in half (pic) and the bungee cord fired the stake thew the tarp.
    The new set up will put the shock cord by the stake not on the tarp. That should give it less direction if a similar failur occurs.

I already answered this last time you posted this. Why does no one take my advice?

Sew a patch onto the inside of it like you would patch you jeans. Then smear flowable silicone all over it to seal it. You aint getting any kind of tape to hokd that together for long
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast