DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images

Best light weight hammock pad for the money!

Looking to get a blowup padFor cold winter camping And backpacking
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Kind of depends on what you are calling cold. For me it is a Synmat 9 which I believe is rated to -13F. I have had it to 0F and was toasty warm but not near as comfortable as a good down quilt. Note that it is also heavy if you are backpacking unless you use a puck in the winter or like me and base camp doing day hikes.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mistone View Post
    Looking to get a blowup padFor cold winter camping And backpacking
    Hey mistone,
    Make sure you check pad R-Ratings.....R Value Pad Chart copy.jpg
    The warmer the pad the heavier and more expensive it would be.
    You looking to get to around 0º?
    An insulated pad will do you the best......https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...pump-long-wide

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    When shopping for a pad, take note of the R-value of each pad. This is a measure of the pad's insulation ability, and you can find charts that approximate R-value to temp rating. What R-value you'll need depends on the conditions in which you'll be using it.

Note that these ratings were formulated for ground use, and in a hammock you'll be exposed to heat loss via convection rather than via conduction on the ground. A pad which would keep you comfortable at 30 degrees on the ground might leave you cold in a hammock at that temperature, so be a little conservative.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good pad for sale right here on HF.......4.4 R-Rating....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...g-Sleeping-Pad
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Good pad for sale right here on HF.......4.4 R-Rating....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...g-Sleeping-Pad
    Shug
    It was a good deal. Somebody else already scooped it.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Thanks for the tips I will definitely look into that
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    When shopping for a pad, take note of the R-value of each pad. This is a measure of the pad's insulation ability, and you can find charts that approximate R-value to temp rating. What R-value you'll need depends on the conditions in which you'll be using it.

Note that these ratings were formulated for ground use, and in a hammock you'll be exposed to heat loss via convection rather than via conduction on the ground. A pad which would keep you comfortable at 30 degrees on the ground might leave you cold in a hammock at that temperature, so be a little conservative.
    I have always thought the same about the difference in temp rating for a pad in a hammock vs ground. But I'm not so certain anymore, although the ground can certainly be warmer than whatever cold front has moved in, so that is probably still a factor.

Is convection more of a heat robber than conduction? ( don't know, so I'm asking) Also, pads are - in my experience- much more- maybe almost totally- more resistant to wind chill.

My doubts popped up when 509-T203-KG used a Neo-Air X-Therm 5.7 R-value, with no tarp, at minus 10F plus significant wind chill, and was more than warm enough. He felt he had not yet reached the limit. Admittedly, that pad is rated even warmer than that for ground use by the manufacturer, although, based on the charts Y'all have supplied, that is pretty close to the limit for R 5.7.

Buy when I really started to wonder was when Windtech reported a minus 40F with his Downmat 9(R value 8) in an HH. Again, I think that pad is rated lower than that on the ground, but that would be about it's limit by the charts in this thread.

So I'm not so sure anymore. Although, it still makes sense that if the ground is warmer than the air, a pad would do better on the ground than in the air. Also, to whatever amount(if any) wind chill would be a factor with a pad(obviously a big factor with UQs), there also would be no more windchill on the back side once on the ground. As Ed Speer used to say(paraphrase): "Can't get warm enough? Then go to ground!". But if that is the situation, hopefully you have a pad.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Is convection more of a heat robber than conduction? ( don't know, so I'm asking)
    I've been struggling with this one too

I'd love to see some actual testing to prove it one way or the other

generally, conduction is WAY more efficient than convection, so I'm not sure why magically pads would be the opposite

Images
    That's sort of a complicated question.

In fluids like air or liquids, convection is generally far more efficient than conduction. There are different types of convective heat transfer, but if we're talking about wind, the rate of heat transfer away from the human heat source will depend on the wind speed as well as the air temperature.

With 2 solid materials in contact with one another, most of the heat transfer is via conduction. In that case, the rate of heat transfer depends on the thermal conductivity of the materials and the difference in temperature between them. Copper for example is very efficient at conducting, while earth is a pretty inefficient conductor. A sleeping pad is an even more inefficient conductor and air is a worse conductor than either of those.

For the hammock vs. ground example, let's say we assumed that the ground temperature was exactly equal to the air temperature. If it was windy, then the person sleeping on XYZ pad in the hammock would probably be colder than the person sleeping on the same pad on the ground. If it's completely still then the person would lose more heat via conduction to the ground than via conduction to the air because air is a poor conductor. But there's still the process of natural convection which will be transferring heat away from the hammock dweller even in the absence of wind. Natural convection currents always occurs in air or liquid when the temperature is higher in one area than another, even when there is no external source of flow like from wind, a fan, a pump, etc.

If the ground is warmer than the air, the same concepts still apply, but the scales would be tipped more in the favor of greater heat loss in the air vs. on the ground.

Basically, you can't simply dictate whether conduction or convection will result in greater loss of heat, even for this one specific topic of pad in air vs pad on ground. In the air, convection is a far bigger factor and on the ground, conduction is the bigger factor. But which one will result in more loss of heat using the same pad depends on the air temperature, the wind speed, the ground temperature, and probably a few other factors. Since those things are all variables, I don't believe there is one method of heat transfer that will be more efficient in all conditions. However, my hunch is that the only situation in which heat loss on the ground would be greater than in the air is if there is no wind and the ground is colder than the air temperature.

• + New Posts