Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    Posts
    33

    Question Sliding into the "belly" of the hammock

    I've spent (just) two nights in a hammock so far. Mine is a Hummingbird Single+. I've tried following Shug's advice and lay diagonally with my head end slightly lower than the foot end and my actual head closer to the end of the hammock. However, within a few minutes, my body seems to slide down into the "belly"/lower section of the hammock. This usually results in me also losing the diagonal angle of my lay. Does anyone else have experience with this? Any advice?

  2. #2
    Senior Member old4hats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ball Ground, Ga.
    Posts
    2,238
    Try making the foot end a few more inches higher. It takes a bit of experimenting to find your own personal level.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

  3. #3
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    20,902
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by xnktx View Post
    I've spent (just) two nights in a hammock so far. Mine is a Hummingbird Single+. I've tried following Shug's advice and lay diagonally with my head end slightly lower than the foot end and my actual head closer to the end of the hammock. However, within a few minutes, my body seems to slide down into the "belly"/lower section of the hammock. This usually results in me also losing the diagonal angle of my lay. Does anyone else have experience with this? Any advice?
    It could because the Hummingbird is a 9' long hammock. Pretty short to get a good lay for sleeping.
    I would consider it a lounging hammock as opposed to a sleeping hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It could because the Hummingbird is a 9' long hammock.
    Hummingbird Single+ is 10' long.

  5. #5
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Posts
    1,796
    Images
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by xnktx View Post
    Hummingbird Single+ is 10' long.
    I noticed in their specs Hummingbird lists it as 116" (9.66ft... ok, close enough to 10') and width of 63" which, depending upon your height, should work fine.

    I'm 5'9" and have three 10' Dream Hammock Dariens, 2 with 64" width and 1 with 66" width and find them all extremely comfortable.

    As old4hats recommended, make the foot end higher—maybe even up to a foot(!), referencing hammock head and foot, not suspension head and foot—and you will likely notice this problem disappear or be greatly diminished. Also, make sure you've got a good diagonal lay and are using all that width, which ensures a flatter lay.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  6. #6
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Posts
    1,796
    Images
    140
    I also noticed from photos/video on their website that Hummingbird hammocks do not have a structural ridge line (SRL), and if you really want to reduce frustration factor and get a consistent lay, you definitely should add one. The SRL ensures that even if the suspension angles are not dead bang on you will still get the same sag every time with the hammock.

    Using the 83% guideline, start with a SRL of about 97"
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  7. #7
    Senior Member rweb82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Homewood, IL
    Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema w/Doors
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by xnktx View Post
    Hummingbird Single+ is 10' long.
    According to Hummingbird's website, the single is 104" long- which is only 8.6'. The Single + & double are both 116" long- or 9.6'.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    10,149
    Images
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I noticed in their specs Hummingbird lists it as 116" (9.66ft... ok, close enough to 10') and width of 63" which, depending upon your height, should work fine.

    I'm 5'9" and have three 10' Dream Hammock Dariens, 2 with 64" width and 1 with 66" width and find them all extremely comfortable.

    As old4hats recommended, make the foot end higher—maybe even up to a foot(!), referencing hammock head and foot, not suspension head and foot—and you will likely notice this problem disappear or be greatly diminished. Also, make sure you've got a good diagonal lay and are using all that width, which ensures a flatter lay.
    Ditto. Unless you are quite tall, you should be OK in 9-10 ft hammocks, or at least I am. A lot of folks love longer hammocks for various reasons. But, the old Speer hammocks were once highly rated here for their over all comfort, and they were never over 8-9 ft long. Longer hammocks I realize are highly preferred by some, but some of us get by with shorter hammocks without much problem.

    Your problem is you are sliding down hill, jut as I did when I 1st started using an almost 11 ft long Hennessy Explorer, and which can be accomplished in any length hammock. Raise that foot end up 2 or 2 1/2 feet above head end height! At some point you WILL stop sliding back down. Then start reducing the foot elevation until you are sliding again. Then back up a bit, and you should be good. One thing is almost certain: there is an elevated foot height at which you will not slide, unless you are able to slide uphill.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    Posts
    33
    I will experiment and report back!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Posts
    1,114
    When I lie in my own hammock, I want to feel the support/pressure between my hips and shoulder blades. If I feel any pressure on my butt, I raise the foot end. Think of how you feel in a fully reclined Lazy-Boy recliner, 2 hours after eating Thanksgiving dinner.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-18-2016, 20:56
  2. "Jerry Chair" and "Just Jeff Gear Hammock" combo - is it possible?
    By Bad Biscuit in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 13:09
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 16:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •