Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Only one I own is the Campmor 5x9 extended, but its really too big as a poncho and not big enough as a tarp over my hammock.

Then the same old question, what do you do when its a frog choker and you need to set up. Change into another rain jacket, set up your soaked poncho tarp etc etc.

I would rather just take a separate tarp and rain gear.

I do like to pack it when I am out for a day hike or maybe an overnighter with minimal gear when I do not expect rain just as sort of an
    emergency shelter/rain gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Sounds like a lot of cautions against using a poncho as a tarp unless necessary. Thanks for the advice.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdpalace View Post
    I use big tarps with my boys so they have somewhere to pass the time during a rain storm and not be confined to the hammock. YMMV.
    Same opinion here.

My son just traded up to a larger tarp about a month or so ago. We just returned from a weekend scouting a new backpacking trail. He brought along a friend and one evening we even managed to find a three tree triangle perfect for hanging them both under his "new" tarp (their heads we hung from trees 3' apart and both feet were tied to the same tree.

A pretty nasty cold front came through leaving us with a whole afternoon of drizzle and rain. The boys sat beneath the two hammocks playing cards, doing magic tricks and cooking their meals on alky burners. Temps dropped to 34° (from 70°) . The proximity allowed the boys to share warming tips and challenge each other on who would "man it out."

A solid tarp with a large footprint will pay you back for the trips of logging it along- all in the one trip where things get a bit hairier than you would have liked. All while allowing your kids to gain confidence in there sets rather than doubt their love of backpacking.

My .02 at least.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schwieb View Post
    Sounds like a lot of cautions against using a poncho as a tarp unless necessary. Thanks for the advice.
    Now on the other hand, a Poncho Villa made an excellent emergency jacket when combined with under layers for my son this weekend (no jacket in the pack for the 75°, turned 34° outing). Hopefully he will forget about my poncho now. I really think it fits me better...

Ponchos really have their place wither in a pack on on your back. I just wouldn't use them for any more than a minimalist vestibule with a ground tarp in the every day shelter arena.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I'm not ever planing to get rid of my poncho. It is both lightweight and convenient.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12