Superior Hammock 15 degree
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Pippi, that hanging tent is ground luxury but remember you have most of what you need to go to ground with a hammock that has a built in bug net. That “tent” still needs supports so you would have your hiking poles. That tent requires a pad for structure so you would have a sleeping pad. That tent also requires a tarp so you would have a tarp. To go to ground with your hammock you just lay some ground sheet down (plastic, Tyvek, or whatever you normally use as a ground sheet, put your pad/hammock on that. Use your hiking poles to hold up your tarp and the hammocks bugnet (keeps it off your face). You’ll have to guy off the hiking poles because they are not trees; but it works. I apologize if this is “mansplaining” but some people don’t think about using their hammock on the ground. It’s not ideal, but it is possible.

Attachment 187065
    Thanks! I'm always looking for ways to make the two interchangeable without adding too much weight. I did notice that the system is a little heavy. There are just so many areas out here on the West Coast with little to no trees. I did get the tensa setup, but still researching even better ways to do this. I'd like to do a through hike one day and want to be prepared for areas like the desert. I do work in the construction industry, so I'm going to pick up a piece of Tyvek and work with that for a bit. I just don't normally carry the items to go to ground, so I need to figure out a good setup. I don't carry a pad and I don't carry poles. I could always be swayed if it has a big advantage to make things versatile though. I have time. I probably won't set out for at least another 3 years when the kids graduate high school.
    Hiking my own hike and hanging my own hang. This is where my happy is!
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pippi, For me it’s more something like … I’m going to be out for 5 days, I may run into a non-tree area for 2 of those days. So I’ll not be as comfortable because I’ll be on the ground - but I’ll still be outside, in nature. Other elements, like expected weather, enter the decision too. The fact is, heresy though it might sound, sometimes a tent is the right choice. Let me quickly say I can’t remember the last time I’ve slept in a tent (that’s because I’m old). But I mostly kayak camp and I almost always also bring a tent as “Plan-B” because I might have to stay on a beach (a lot like a desert; I haven’t bought my Tensa4 yet).

If you read trip reports in this forum, you’ll find that some hikers simply, via gear shipments and mail stops, swap out the shelter style depending upon the terrain (like a desert) they will be crossing. Unfortunately, most the kayakers who post reports (WestCoastPaddler.com) use tents so there isn’t much detail about the tree situation at their destinations. But the trip reports posted here are pretty good about describing the hammock facilities you might find.

I don’t think that many hikers carry the 14 lb Tensa4 setup. It’s great for car camping, bike camping, kayak camping, etc.; Even drag it in a pulk for snow camping (if the snow is not too deep). But 14 lbs is a high starting bar for a backpack - just for a metal frame.

On the other hand, many hikers are already bringing hiking poles, And a sleeping bag or even a top quilt provide the same service. A ground sheet is nothing. So the decision point is to have both an under quilt and ground pad, or just use the ground pad for both. If you will be solo, there are some very light solo tents and with that configuration, including a hammock and tree straps adds less than 2 lbs. This assumes you’ll be leaving the tent rainfly at home and hooking up a tarp with your trekking poles - a tarp that also works with the hammock.

Or, as shown in the photo, if you know you’ll only need to go-to-ground for small percentage of time during your adventure, you just use the hammock as a bivi bag.

I hope you have some adventures in interim, but if you blink, those three years will pass in no time.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    If you read trip reports in this forum, you’ll find that some hikers simply, via gear shipments and mail stops, swap out the shelter style depending upon the terrain (like a desert) they will be crossing. Unfortunately, most the kayakers who post reports (WestCoastPaddler.com) use tents so there isn’t much detail about the tree situation at their destinations. But the trip reports posted here are pretty good about describing the hammock facilities you might find.
    I have started reading the trip reports on here. Very informative! Much better than watching the YouTube channels which are normally all tent based.
    I don’t think that many hikers carry the 14 lb Tensa4 setup. It’s great for car camping, bike camping, kayak camping, etc.; Even drag it in a pulk for snow camping (if the snow is not too deep). But 14 lbs is a high starting bar for a backpack - just for a metal frame.
    Right now I have the Tensa Solo. I just got it in the mail... but have not used it yet, because I think I'm going to ship it back for their Trekking Treez version (like a trekking pole). That would at lease make it not dead weight in my pack.
    On the other hand, many hikers are already bringing hiking poles, And a sleeping bag or even a top quilt provide the same service. A ground sheet is nothing. So the decision point is to have both an under quilt and ground pad, or just use the ground pad for both. If you will be solo, there are some very light solo tents and with that configuration, including a hammock and tree straps adds less than 2 lbs. This assumes you’ll be leaving the tent rainfly at home and hooking up a tarp with your trekking poles - a tarp that also works with the hammock. Or, as shown in the photo, if you know you’ll only need to go-to-ground for small percentage of time during your adventure, you just use the hammock as a bivi bag.
    Yep, I've been pondering all of this in my head. I think over the next 3 years I just want to test out each of these options. You do have a good point about just switching out the gear though during long stretches of say desert landscape. I think the plan will be that my husband will drive in about the same path as I hike in an RV and just wait at various points that I will need to restock my food. I could also switch out my sleeping setup at that time.

I hope you have some adventures in interim, but if you blink, those three years will pass in no time.
    Thanks! I'm really excited for this new journey. I plan a 1-2 night trip every other week and I will mix longer and longer ones in periodically throughout the year. So true, 3 years will pass in no time at all!

I hope you have some adventures in interim, but if you blink, those three years will pass in no time.[/QUOTE]
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pippi, one last comment because it sounds like at least some of your trips will be solo - with readily accessible backup. That’s GREAT. You will make mistakes so one thing to have in your pack is a sense of humor. For example, I’d wager most people here have at least once sat in their hammock, only to grab just their under quilt instead and land on the ground. Practice this phrase, “I meant to do that.” It will come in handy.

There’s a high probability at one time you’ll bring the wrong gear for the temperature or weather. Once I was teaching a XC Ski class and in town it was warm and sunny. So I left my down jacket there and just brought a light windbreaker to the mountain = a mistake. It was all I could do the teach the class without my teeth chattering. And I NEVER forgot. You can always take gear in the car and leave there when you get to the mountain if you don’t need it. And it’s really handy to leave some food and water in the car so you’ll have something there when you return. Once a guy interrupted me while I was (solo) packing my kayak. It broke my rhythm and I forgot the ingredients I was going to put on the dinner rice. So it was three days of plain rice instead of something more interesting. Make mistakes, laugh, learn, move on.

When you go out solo, no one tells you what to do - so you learn what to do. Then, when you’re with a group, you can look around and see what needs to be done without someone telling you.

Even if you plan most of your hiking with family, for me at least, the learning occurs mostly on solo adventures. That’s because when others are involved, adventures are more conservative, there’s more backup, there others to share responsible so you don’t have to be concerned with some details. It’s different.

Go find your happy.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Yes, the goal is to eventually go solo. My husband does like to hike and adventure, but his back is bad from the army, so I don't think he'll be able to do the longer treks with me. He has a big project trying to build his own plane anyways, so hiking and backpacking is more of my pastime that he likes to enjoy with me. I agree. I like learning while I'm out solo. I can do what I want at my own pace.

LoL about the underquilt. I will say I have almost done that. I do love to just laugh things off. You can't really change what has already happened... so might as well make the best of it.
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    .... Once a guy interrupted me while I was (solo) packing my kayak. It broke my rhythm and I forgot the ingredients I was going to put on the dinner rice. So it was three days of plain rice instead of something more interesting. Make mistakes, laugh, learn, move on....
    At least you had the RICE!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12