Routt National Forest and Gear Report

Spent 4 days and 3 nights in the Routt. I was out there for a job in a pretty remote area near Walden/Rand so I commuted to the job from my camp(s) in the Routt.

SLD Trail Lair with wind shield; Home made Costco Throw Topquilt made from 2 throws for warmth. Can add a third for more warmth, but did not have this on this trip.

UQ made from a 2QZQ Underquilt Protector with 2 Costco throws integrated into it for insulation. Used the no-sew techniques from the Gemini UQ to build this.

Also had a JacksRBetter flannel Topquilt blanket/liner. Tarp is a 12x10 2Go Systems.

My Trail Lair alsonhas Saddle Bag and Lazy Man's ridglinen organizer that I just added which worked great.

My setup is not light. Inwas base camping on this trip and hiking from camp and back.

Temps got down to 18 degrees at night. Surprisingly, I was totally warm enough with this setup that I thought was good to about 40 degrees. I did wear thermal baselayer and added top layers on the coldest night.

Also, suspension is All-in-One no hardware setup from MyeraTech. Flawless! I also have my Tarp set up with an over-under ridgeline with a small pulley that guves me a great hanging line under the tarp.

Did some great little hikes and found some nice Mountain Lakes. Would like to go back in the Summer when its warmer and I could take a dip

Just in case, had a bailout plan to the truck, but didn't need it. Here are some pics.

20191007_194638.jpg

20191007_195036.jpg

Pics not uploading right.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Nice trip report anyhow. My cousin and I were up near you a few weeks ago right up near Montgomery Pass for The muzzleloading season on elk.
    You seen critters while you were out there?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Yes, heard the Elk bugling at night, but didn't see one. Saw a wolf down in the valley on my way to the project. Thought it was a coyote, but then saw a coyote a couple days later and it was tiny compared to the wolf. Saw antelope and deer of course, grouse. I was on Buffalo Pass.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post

UQ made from a 2QZQ Underquilt Protector with 2 Costco throws integrated into it for insulation. Used the no-sew techniques from the Gemini UQ to build this. .............................................. Temps got down to 18 degrees at night. Surprisingly, I was totally warm enough with this setup that I thought was good to about 40 degrees. I did wear thermal baselayer and added top layers on the coldest night.
    Now that is an interesting approach: just put your insulation down inside an UQP! Nice!

Folks in CO have been a bit on the cold side last few days, from what I hear. Had a swing from near record highs to a new record low by a large margin, all in 24 hrs?

Yes, missed the snow storm by a day. Got some fleuries over the weekend.

The insulated UQP worked way better than I expected. Built it as a Summer Option. Proved way more capable.

• + New Posts