Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Link?

Tents or tarps? Big difference.
    https://youtu.be/0_GVnlepkcE
    3m40s mark
    Tents. Come to think of it, I believe the other one was referring to tents as well. You might have a good point.

Images
    I'm not interested in doing the math, but my hunch is that inserting the stakes at whatever angle puts them perpendicular to the guyline is going to maximize their holding power. That angle is going to change depending on steepness of tarp pitch.

I do basically what cmoulder says he does. Stakes angled approximately 30 degrees away from the tarp, fully seated into the ground. The exception would be the Orange Screw for my Tensa4 anchor, which I've never not screwed straight vertically into the ground.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I do basically what cmoulder says he does. Stakes angled approximately 30 degrees away from the tarp, fully seated into the ground. The exception would be the Orange Screw for my Tensa4 anchor, which I've never not screwed straight vertically into the ground.

I do the same. If I can't get the stake fully seated I'll either use the rock technique, or ditch the stake entirely and just use a rock, tree or a napping hiking buddy.

Looking at the 'test' posted above, I can't figure how the shock could make a difference in how the stakes held unless the shock wasn't full stretched. Pull it tight and it becomes like a piece of cord and should respond like the guy lines that didn't have shock cord. In fact, that's how I always understood the tensioners should be used (and how I used them). Stake out your corners so the tensioner is fully stretched so that if the tarp gets saggy when wet, the shock cord pulls up the slack.
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    One thing that surprised me was the instructions (that I don't read) on y-stakes. The lone point goes towards the tarp! I had no idea. I figured you positioned the "v" side towards the tarp for more surface area to work against the soil. But I guess the part under the ground on the opposite side is also doing the same and they want the flatter side there. Fooled me.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I've always done it like you do, at least in soft soil. I usually pay zero attending to anything but the angle and weather or not I'm pounding it into a root.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    One thing that surprised me was the instructions (that I don't read) on y-stakes. The lone point goes towards the tarp! I had no idea. I figured you positioned the "v" side towards the tarp for more surface area to work against the soil. But I guess the part under the ground on the opposite side is also doing the same and they want the flatter side there. Fooled me.
    That's interesting and seems a little counterintuitive, since some Y-stakes have a notch on one fin (better ones have notches in all 3 fins) for a guyline loop to seat into. In order to use that, you'd either have to have that fin positioned away from the tarp, or wrap the guyline loop an extra time around the stake.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-22-2019 at 09:05.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    That's interesting and seems a little counterintuitive, since some Y-stakes have a notch on one fin (better ones have notches in all 3 fins) for a guyline loop to seat into. In order to use that, you'd either have to have that fin positioned away from the tarp, or wrap the guyline loop an extra time around the stake.
    All the Y stakes I've seen have it on all sides. It's pretty natural given the Y shape to begin with. But I'm off google images to prove myself wrong...

And someone actually tested it! I think I'll just keep "doing it wrong".

Last edited by OneClick; 10-22-2019 at 09:12.

Images
    Some stakes, like the ones Amok Equipment provides with their Borg tarp, are V-shaped. To use the notch on those, you'd have to have the "point" of the V facing toward the tarp and the "legs" of the V pointing away (which is how I've always used these stakes). This image is the reverse of that, and the notch couldn't be utilized without an extra wrap of the guyline around the stake. This is also a good example of how NOT to fully seat your stakes, although they probably only chose to stake them so feebly here so that the Amok logo remained visible in their product photo.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oh yeah but that's a V stake. Not really worth the savings IMO but I do own some.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    All the Y stakes I've seen have it on all sides. It's pretty natural given the Y shape to begin with. But I'm off google images to prove myself wrong...

And someone actually tested it! I think I'll just keep "doing it wrong".
    Agreed on many levels. I don't always use Y-stakes, but when I do, I prefer MSR Groundhogs. And those of course have notches on each fin. Buried away somewhere I have some "nonsense word in all capital letters" Y-stakes from Amazon, where they only stamped the notch into one of the fins.

But if I've been doing it wrong, I'll just keep doing it wrong.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast