Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First hammock, DIY Hammock?

As the title suggests, Do you think it's a good idea to make your own hammock, as the first hammock you'd ever own?

I gathered that it'd be cheaper to buy the materials and make it myself, over buying a commercial hammock.

But I don't own sewing machine.

Also, when it comes to materials. If you buy two yards does it make a square (2ydsx2yds) or a rectangle (1yd next to 1yd)?

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My first hammock was a DIY one that I made after trying a friend's HH. By doing so I have started myself down the slippery and never ending road of DIY projects.
    Unless you are about 4 feet tall you might need a bit more than 2 yards long. I made a hammock for my 3yo son that is 3x5 and he is about 3ft tall. I think that it needs to be at least a foot bigger in both directions.
    You could potentially make a hammock with no thread injector. Maybe just heat seal the edges with a lighter to stop it from fraying. Then whip it with an overhand knot.

I know, I was just wondering if I could buy 4ydX3yd of SilNylon.
    Why would I need a thread injector?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I use a minimum of 10.5 feet. But then I sew the ends one way or the other. You can tie the ends and actually have no sewing at all. But I would think you would want no less that 12 feet and maybe more to account for the knots. Longer and wider the hammock the more comfortable at least up to a point. There may come a point of diminishing returns. I haven't gone longer than 12' finished length and the widest fabric easily found is about 60" which is a good width.

Here's my take on a DIY hammock as a first one. I did that and if I had stopped there I would have given up on the idea. My first hammock was a rather unmitigated disaster. Too short, too narrow too everything wrong. The whipping was poor and my knowledge of the craft was non-existent for all intents and purposes. I think you are better off buying a very inexpensive top loader from a reputable company like Grand Trunk or Trek light. They won't get you full camping setup without bugnet and that kind of thing. But they will give you a reasonably well built starting place to begin with. That's my 2 cents but if you want to make your own there are plenty of designs and ideas on the forum. Have fun.

DO NOT use silnyl for a hammock. very pricey and waterproof. You could end up sleeping in a puddle. Untreat nylon or polyester would make the best starter.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Our first DIY hammock was a success. Just Jeff's instructions were spot on. And then some tweaks from here. Since then I have made about 6 other hammocks. A couple of them pushed the envelope and were failures for various reasons, but the rest were successful. My oldest son doesn't even have a bed in his room - he has a home made hammock on a stand (we didn't make that stand).

Start with some 3mm or 4mm climbing accessory cord rated above 1000 pounds and about 3 yards of ripstop nylon in the 60" width from the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. My first DIY hammock cost me about $12 to make.

Tarps are probably one level harder than making a hammock. I just buy those.

Quilts can be even more tricky. I've not made anything too complex but have re-stuffed a quilt and have sworn off doing down ever again.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Okay, but how do you order what size you want, say 9ft x 3 ft when they sell yards. How do you work a rectangle out of a square yard? Do you have to sew them together?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    square yard is usually used just for weight comparison. Most of the material comes from 48" to 60+" wide and you buy it by the yard. If material is 60" wide buying 4 yard would be 60" wide by 144" long.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    Okay, but how do you order what size you want, say 9ft x 3 ft when they sell yards. How do you work a rectangle out of a square yard? Do you have to sew them together?
    If you go to Wal Mart and get some from that bin, then you can check the width before you buy. Get 60". 48" widths are for people trying to squeak out SUL hammocks. Then take the bolt to the person working the sewing area and say, in a loud steady voice: "I would like to get 3 yards of this". It should cost about $4.50. I highly recommend doing it this way for your first hammock.

Later, if you want to order stuff, say at www.thru-hiker.com, most places will tell you "Sold in 60" width". Then you can order how much you want of that fabric. Thru-hiker 1.1 firsts are my current favorite for making DIY hammocks in the finished product, and they are sold in 60" widths. Doing that may cost you a about $24 in fabric.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Thank you. It may seem simple but if you never learned it before you wouldn't know what to look for.

I'd rather support our own and buy from http://speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    my first hammock was a complete DIYer. You don't have to have a sewing machine, but it will help a lot to at least roll hem the edges. Any seamstress or anyone you know that can sew could at least do that for you in 10 or 15 mins. Then you just whip the ends and hang it up.

Come to think of it, all of my hammocks so far are DIY

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast