Took this setup to 18 degrees - Pleasantly Surprised

Was in Colorado for a project. Nearest hotel 60 miles away. National Forest 10 miles away. Had already been in Oregon camping in a State Park for a few days in another project.

Had my "Fall Setup" that was no problem down to 40 degrees in Oregon. Temps in CO were much colder down to 18 degrees with some wind two of the nights. My setup still worked great! Had a bail-out to a truck within 100 feet of camp sites just in case.

Setup:

Trail Lair with windshield.

2QZQ UQP with 2 Costco Throws integrated and layered as underquilt into the 2QZQ. I came up with this as a 3 season setup after a lot of experience with a home-made Gemini Underquilt. One CDQ has seams ripped vertically and one horizontal so the down overlaps the seams better.

Topquilt: home made Costco 2 layer (I can add a third layer for winter). A Jacks R Better fleece Quilt Liner/Summer Blanket.

Thoughts:

The windshield and UQP make a big difference in keeping out the cold. The SLD windshield works great for me with really no condensation issues. Wore a warm base layer and on the coldest nights had a flannel shirt and flannel PJ pants on.

The problem with my setup is weight and bulk. Everything fits in ULA 65 Liter Epic along with cook kit and water and a few other odds and ends.

But would be heavy for any kind of real hiking. I would like to do more hiking, but I think that I really like to be comfortable and that I may be more if a "base camper" - especially in Fall or Spring.

I think in Summer I could pare out weight and bulk for a better hiking setup.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I like your setup! And it worked for what you needed, so double kudos.

Your weight and bulk argument is certainly valid. You can only add-on and stack so many pieces of gear before you run out of space to carry it all. For my motorcycle trips, I rely on a synthetic TQ/UQ, and supplement it with a set modified set of the Costco down throws (CDT) for those times when the temp dips low enough; but I don't have room on the bike for anything more than that.

Like you say, if I was straight up backpacking all the time, my gear would be completely different.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    On top of your equipment working you saved enough in a couple of nights to by a light weight quilt

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    On top of your equipment working you saved enough in a couple of nights to by a light weight quilt
    Exactly. Spent more than 6 weeks in a Hammock this year on work projects. Vermont, Oregon, Colorado, Pennsylvania and Maine just for fun! A light Topquilt and a lighter tarp might have to go on the Christmas list this year!

any pictures?? Im not sure what all that stuffs is ??

Here are some pictures. Basically, I took an Underquilt protector and came up with a way to fit two down blankets integrated on the inside of the Underquilt protector to serve as insulation.

20181220_162044.jpg
    20181220_162019.jpg
    20181220_162641.jpg
    20181220_162005.jpg

Images
    I'm not at all surprised that you stayed warm in this set up. For one thing, unlike many set ups, you were wind proof no matter how the wind might shift, even with out a tarp. That benefit is extremely underrated OMO. Which is why even though I own and like numerous brands of hammocks and UQs, my old original HH UL Explorer with Super Shelter- the one I started with back in Fall of 2006(wow, 13 years now!) remains one of my favs. There have been many times- especially using that HH small asym tarp(or even no tarp) and or with a poorly sheltered sight- where the wind was literally bouncing me around in the hammock, and I laughed at the wind chill, not even able to tell a significant difference during the largest gust of wind.

How did you do condensation wise? Was the loft well maintained?

I think I am a bit of an oddity on condensation. I had no problems with condensation with this setup in Oregon even when I had condensation on the underside of my tarp because it was so humid and cold then warm. No condensation in the underquilt/ UQP and no condensation in the hammock with the SLD windshield.

The loft stayed lofty! I think this is because I used a modified clew system for the insulation so it works independently from the suspension on the UQP. Absolutely no cold spots.

What is really great is that I think that I can add 1 - 2 more layers to this fir really cold winter temps OR use my Gemini Underquilt with this to get down to below 0 F. With a three layer Gemini, I have gotten down to 0 to 10 degrees.

This UQP/Underquilt setup costs less than $100 for up to 4 layers of insulation. The only drawback at that point is weight, but that is for extreme winter.

With 2 layers the weight is pretty good and succeeded to 18 degrees with 10 to 15 mph wind.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    Nice set & thanks for the pictures.
    I asked my wife, who has the Costco card, to pick up a set of the 700 FP throws.
    Paul or Sarge or Hawk; anything but Sue!

Bless all of those who go voluntarily into Harm's Way on our behalf, whether they wear Blue, Red or Camo, and all of those who wait for them each night not knowing if.....

• + New Posts