WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just an after thought.....my lines on my tarp aren't too long so if the tree is fat I have taken to simply running my tarp line directly through the same carabiner I use for attaching my hammock support strap to the tree. It eliminates the need for a few feet of line and is easier to attach and unattach.

Don't you just love it when you think of the obvious and it makes your life just a little smoother.

Miguel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Just an after thought.....my lines on my tarp aren't too long so if the tree is fat I have taken to simply running my tarp line directly through the same carabiner I use for attaching my hammock support strap to the tree. It eliminates the need for a few feet of line and is easier to attach and unattach.

Don't you just love it when you think of the obvious and it makes your life just a little smoother.

Miguel

I thought about doing that all of the time. Haven't tried it yet, so does the tarp pitch just as well this way? It would mean only one line/webbing attached to each tree which gives a cleaner look, and would require only a couple feet of line.

Another question. Will Kelty Triptease work on the Figure 9's, or is it too small?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I thought about doing that all of the time. Haven't tried it yet, so does the tarp pitch just as well this way? It would mean only one line/webbing attached to each tree which gives a cleaner look, and would require only a couple feet of line.

Another question. Will Kelty Triptease work on the Figure 9's, or is it too small?
    The Triptease should work well with the small figure 9's.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

The pictures I showed of the figure9 a few postings back are of the cord I use on my tarp----and is triptease. No issues.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-28-2007 at 00:01. Reason: fixed crucial spelling error

Images
    Alright. Guess I'm going to REI tomorrow to buy some. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=Cerberus;23938]I thought about doing that all of the time. Haven't tried it yet, so does the tarp pitch just as well this way? It would mean only one line/webbing attached to each tree which gives a cleaner look, and would require only a couple feet of line.

It worked well for me. You want it set low anyway if there is even the slightest hint of rain. It has often been suggested here that the tarp should be set at about the same height as your hammock attachment or even lower. I've found this to be entirely true. Of course if it's a hot sunny day with no rain in the forecast...the sky's the limit. Using the biner is just so much more convenient....especially if you're dealing with a thick tree.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm thinking of tying some taut-line hitches instead of using the figure 9's next time, just to further simplify things. I think headchange4u gave me the idea.

I still like the figure 9's though.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm thinking of tying some taut-line hitches instead of using the figure 9's next time, just to further simplify things. I think headchange4u gave me the idea.

I still like the figure 9's though.
    That's what I've been doing but it's a pain in the butt to tie then every night, and untie then every morning. Even if you leave them tied you will have to occasionally untie them because you either need more line, or have too much.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have trouble with the figure 9's not being in the right location, and have to undo and move them often, so I figured I'd just as soon tie taut-lines once, and then I can adjust on either end to suit...

plus I don't have to worry about losing one. But YMMV. I still like the figure 9's.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images

fig 9 vs truckers hitch

I just got 2 f9s saturday. Started to get 6, but at the last second put 4 back. It just seemed like a lot of money and 6 things to keep up with. Have not tried them yet, plan on using them just on the ridgeline.

I also figure I've gotten pretty handy with these truckers loops or hitch. And I do some form of "slippery" truckers where the loop just kind of pulls apart automatically when I break camp. So really the only time spent is on the tieing/setup, and that is pretty minimal. So, with $6 a pair x3, and keeping up with 3 pairs, and a smidgeon extra weight- I just couldn't decide it was worth it. But I might change my mind after I use them.

Are most folks using 6, or just 2 on the ridgeline?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast