Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Question for Figure9 users.

I'm curious to know how you are setting up your Figure 9s with your tarps. I'm using the "Fixed End" method. I have a line attached to my tarp with the Figure 9 threaded about a foot from the tarp itself. I then wrap the remainder of the line around the tree and back to the Figure 9.

I'd like to know about how far you are setting your Figure 9s out from your tarps. Since they are a bit of a pain to adjust along the line once they are set, I'd like to know if any ideal length has been discovered. I suppose I should also ask if the length of your line has changed since using the Figure 9s? I do like the system for creating tension....not unlike a Trucker's Hitch sans the knot of course.

There are a couple of pics posted but they are closeups which don't show where they are attached along the line.

Thanks, Miguel

PS I just returned from another week of hanging and kayaking and will be heading out again soon. Retirement is AWESOME!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I haven't heard of an ideal distance from the tarp to set, but mine stay about 2 feet from the ends of my tarp. I haven't needed to move them any closer than that even with closely spaced trees.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I take the opposite approach, of adjusting the location of the figure 9 to be about a foot away from the tree. I end up using less cord for suspension and the ridgeline is tidier IMHO with one line rather than two (assuming here that you run the tarp ridgeline to the tree).

It is of course entirely a matter of preference. I've worked out how to quickly slide the figure 9 along the cord to position it where I want it, to eliminate the risk of it getting dropped in transit.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Here's a method I use and think works well. Have your figure 9's not attached to the line to start with. I keep mine in my stake bag and then put them in my pocket when I'm ready to set up the tarp. Hang your tarp across your hammock at the correct length you want for foot and head end. On one end wrap the line around the tree. When you have the line around the tree taught and at the right distance, get out a figure 9 and install it on that end. This will be like figure 1B on the instructions. It will not be tied to the end of the line. Same for other side. I find it a real pain to try to move the figure 9 along the line.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-27-2007 at 17:17.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a full length ridge line and so use only one Figure 9. I use a micro-carabiner on one end, wrap the tree and clip. At the other tree I wrap once and do like Grizz does, I adjust the Figure 9 reasonably close to the tree, but far enough away that I can pull the ridge line very tight, like very tight .

For the bottom of the tarp, I place the Figure 9's as close to the tarp as possible. That way I can always adjust the tarp closer to the ground when necessary without moving the Figure 9.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I take the opposite approach, of adjusting the location of the figure 9 to be about a foot away from the tree. I end up using less cord for suspension and the ridgeline is tidier IMHO with one line rather than two (assuming here that you run the tarp ridgeline to the tree).

It is of course entirely a matter of preference. I've worked out how to quickly slide the figure 9 along the cord to position it where I want it, to eliminate the risk of it getting dropped in transit.

Grizz
    I guess I like to leave the 9s on the line so I suppose that begs the question.....how do you "quickly" move the Figure 9 along the line? I just started messing with this today and so far it seems rather cumbersome to move them. Please enlighten us if possible.

Miguel

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

moving the figure9 along the cord

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I guess I like to leave the 9s on the line so I suppose that begs the question.....how do you "quickly" move the Figure 9 along the line? I just started messing with this today and so far it seems rather cumbersome to move them. Please enlighten us if possible.

Miguel
    OK. First attachment shows the general orientation. The tree is off to the left and the cord loops around it, comes back to the figure9 and is secured. The cord goes to the right to secure to the tarp (or off to the other tree, if this is a full tarp ridgeline.)

In storage, the figure9 is secured to the cord as shown in the first picture, but the standing end is not looped back onto the figure9.

To move the figure9, lift the loop over the gnarly bit of the figure9 as shown in the second attachment. What is not shown because I need to hold the camera, is that my right hand holds the figure9, with my index finger inside of the loop. That's to keep the figure9 from slipping off the cord and disappearing into the leaves.

Now with my left hand I pull cord from the left hand side through the figure9, see the third attachment. Next with my left hand I take the figure9, and put my index finger inside the loop to secure it, and pull through to the right the big loop I've just created. This brings us to the fourth attachment. The fifth attachment just shows the loop back over the gnarly bits again, with the standing end secured off, only this time with the figure9 considerably closer to the end.

Not so very different conceptually from just removing it from the cord completely, and rethreading onto the cord where you'd like it to be. Keeping on the cord reduces the risk of dropping it, is all.

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-27-2007 at 21:20.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i have my figure 9s on the line just like grizz shows in his picture except i made one additional loop around the figure 9's metal loop before tying the line to the tarp. i almost lost one & it can't fall off that way.
    it can still be moved if needed, it just takes a little more effort.
    but unless i find myself in an unusual situation (really big trees or trees farther apart than normal) i don't need to move it.
    i have it just an inch or so from the tarp because i sometimes use trees that are just barely far enough apart to stretch the tarp between them. and i have enough line to cover most hangs (12 or 15' on each end i think). if i need extra line, i have about three 6-8' pieces in the stake bag that can be added.
    the weight & bulk of a little extra line isn't an issue because i mostly use the orange spectra line from speer hammocks. it's plenty strong & very light.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Loose figure 9's

I keep mine loose too, in my stake bag (though I keep the side line figure 9's on the stakes most of the time by looping the stake's line through.) I usually clip the figure 9 directly to the tarp end clip (I still use the stock HH tarp), then I have a small bowline in the end of my line. I loop it around the tree (or etc.) through the bowline and run the single line back to the figure 9. Makes it easily adjustable and I can easily reattach it to my support lines if I need to batten down. I''d probably use much the same system even with a larger hex or cat tarp through, since it works well and with the versatility I like.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm thinking of tying some taut-line hitches instead of using the figure 9's next time, just to further simplify things. I think headchange4u gave me the idea.

I still like the figure 9's though.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast