Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas

Tips and tricks for extension

Hi!
    Need some recommendation. I am new in this “hammocking” thing. I got a fine eno double hammock and a pair of atlas straps to hang it easily. But in my neighborhood the distance between trees is more than preferable. I ended up sleeping like a banana. I did buy some dyneema rope to be able to fix the issue but as I never was a scout or backpacker my knowledge on knots, loops and hitches is very limited. Basically I can tie my shoes and fix a knot on the present box. :-/.... (Ok, not really so hopeless, but the loops to fix my tarp is something I learned lately)

What I need is tips and tricks to tie/fix the rope to the atlas suspension and to the carabiners of the hammock. I would prefer quick release options but if a series of knots/loops are more reliable I can buy it. As I said, I am a complete beginner...
    Thanks for any respons in advance!

Images
    Is the dyneema rope spliceable? If so, you could make adjustable whoopie slings (check YouTube for step by step tutorials). If you want something simpler, you could make an eye splice with locked brummel in each end of the rope (this is called a dogbone and tutorials for that are also on YouTube). If it's not spliceable or you don't want to learn those techniques, tie a bowline or figure 8 loop in each end (these are common knots, Google images or once again, YouTube). You could then lark's head (aka girth hitch) one end of your extension to the hammock and clip the other to the atlas strap using the carabiner.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Here is a great source for learning knots. https://www.animatedknots.com/
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not following. You normally hang the Atlas Straps, then clip the carabiner into the the appropriate loop. I don't see where Dyneema rope is needed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm not following. You normally hang the Atlas Straps, then clip the carabiner into the the appropriate loop. I don't see where Dyneema rope is needed.
    Straps are not long enough.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    The reason I need some sort of extension method is that the straps are not long enough. I know, I should keep going on untill I find trees with appropriate distance. It is not always an option for me.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Here is a great source for learning knots. https://www.animatedknots.com/
    Thanks, I will check it.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Is the dyneema rope spliceable? If so, you could make adjustable whoopie slings (check YouTube for step by step tutorials). If you want something simpler, you could make an eye splice with locked brummel in each end of the rope (this is called a dogbone and tutorials for that are also on YouTube). If it's not spliceable or you don't want to learn those techniques, tie a bowline or figure 8 loop in each end (these are common knots, Google images or once again, YouTube). You could then lark's head (aka girth hitch) one end of your extension to the hammock and clip the other to the atlas strap using the carabiner.
    Thanks, I will check these tchniques. I bought 2 pieces of rope, 5 m each. One should be able to cut them to smaller pieces if it is what You mean...

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    You have a few options. As mentioned above, dogbones are one good one. You can make or buy Whoopie Slings to use as extenders which will make the suspension more flexible.

First off, you should understand why we are recommending dyneema rope. Most other rope materials stretch when under load, dyneema doesn't. It is also very strong and light. 7/64 inch Amsteel (a brand of dyneema rope) has a 3,000 lb rating while a similar thickness of "paracord" is rated at 550 lbs. The rope is a hollow braid so it is easy to splice with basic tools like an awl, knife and thin piece of wire. We splice dyneema for two reasons. First, dyneema is really slippery so knots don't hold dependably. Second, knots weaken line. A simple square knot will cut the strength of the line by half. A splice barely effects the strength of the line and in some cases increases it.

Watch Shugs videos. Start learning knots. Pick up a copy of "The Ultimate Hang" and check out the website. Go to a group hang. Welcome to the rabbit hole. Learning and experimenting are the parts of hammock camping that most of us enjoy almost as much as the actual camping part.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my friends are not really intrested and I do not know folk nearby who has experience with hammocking. I have subscribed to Shug’s channel. Will get the Ultimate hung, but some commented that the kindle version is useless because way to small characters and pictures. Might get a paperback instead.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast