Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammock Gear Bug

Smile what is your set-up, at camp?

I tried hammocking last year, 2x, but was cold. and i had a TQ and an UQ. i think i run really cold. When i BP with a tent, i use a sleep bag, the TQ inside that, and 2 layers of clothes, maybe i need to duplicate that in a hammock?
    I would really like to get back into hammocking while backpacking. What i found i didn't like about hammocks, vs a tent, was the lack of a "room" outdoors, like i have when in a tent. a place to keep all my stuff, clean and dry, away from critters and bugs, and a discreet place to change out of my hiking clothes, into my night time clothes. Can you guys post some pictures of your set up at camp? What do you ladies do? Where do you put all your stuff? do you have room in your hammock to hold a water bottle, your glasses, your inhaler, kleenex, lights, ?

also, i strung up a tarp, which takes a lot of time to string up the tarp and the hammock. if i only camp when there is no rain, why do i need a tarp above?

what have you done, when you get to a campsite, and there are no suitable trees to hang from? what if you don't know if there will great trees to hang from, on the new hike?

It seems, from what i read, that men hammock differently than women, they seem to need less stuff than we do....

any help or suggestions would be great!

Images
    Hang everything. After hammock is up, i clip my backpack up on the suspension line to hold all unused items overnight.

The Warbonnet Shelf is the single best answer to "where can i put my stuff". It hold so much and its right by your head the entire time. If you do not have a Warbonnet hammock, there are many options for storage including peak bag, ridgeline organizer, baby hammock, saddle bags, and sidecars/slings. The easiest answer is to just drop your pack on the ground under the hammock for quick access at night.

On tarps: besides rain, tarps a good for deflecting wind which can quickly blow away your quilt heat. Learning how to angle the tarp down as a wind block is something you should do. Tarps also keep out bird poop and leaf litter. They add some privacy. If you get a large tarp, it will give you more room for changing clothes and cooking in bad weather. Regardless, always bring a tarp. Always.

For changing clothes: yeah, wriggling and brief nudity will usually be involved ;-) It is the way of the hammock. If you want walking room, many people bring a plastic "Door Mat" to put under the hammock as a clean spot to stand on or place a back. I just use my pack rain cover.

As for lack of "room" outdoors... the outdoors is your room! If you feel you need more enclosure or privacy, then what you want is a large-style tarp with doors, or at least a beak.

For hiking into the unknown: thats part of the fun. You dont know until you go. If the site is not conducive to hammocks, walk on.

IMG_3969-s.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    I tried hammocking last year, 2x, but was cold. and i had a TQ and an UQ. i think i run really cold. When i BP with a tent, i use a sleep bag, the TQ inside that, and 2 layers of clothes, maybe i need to duplicate that in a hammock?
    I would really like to get back into hammocking while backpacking. What i found i didn't like about hammocks, vs a tent, was the lack of a "room" outdoors, like i have when in a tent. a place to keep all my stuff, clean and dry, away from critters and bugs, and a discreet place to change out of my hiking clothes, into my night time clothes. Can you guys post some pictures of your set up at camp? What do you ladies do? Where do you put all your stuff? do you have room in your hammock to hold a water bottle, your glasses, your inhaler, kleenex, lights, ?

also, i strung up a tarp, which takes a lot of time to string up the tarp and the hammock. if i only camp when there is no rain, why do i need a tarp above?

what have you done, when you get to a campsite, and there are no suitable trees to hang from? what if you don't know if there will great trees to hang from, on the new hike?

It seems, from what i read, that men hammock differently than women, they seem to need less stuff than we do....

any help or suggestions would be great!

Sounds like you just need a much higher rated quilt than most people.
    All my stuff before i go to bed goes back in my pack in my pack liner and hang thr pack from a tree branch or the end of my hammock. Drink goes on ground in arms reach. Small stuff goes in ridge line organizer. If its raining hard I tie my shoelaces tovether and fling them over the end of my hammock. Nothing but my drink is on the ground.
    I never set up a tarp unless its going to rain. Also, I can walk up to a tree and have my hammock with quilts and tarp setup in 3 min.(tarp skin amd lazy slug tube) I am set up before my tenting buddy gets a his first tent stake in. Learn to simplify your rig and pack it so setting up is quick and easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Hammock Gear Bug
    wow, thanks for the replies! i haven't met anyone hammocking that i can ask questions of! after reading every sentence, i kept saying" oh! that's a good idea!"
    it took me about 30 minutes to get my hammock and tarp hung last time, that is also what was putting me off of hammocking.
    THANKS!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I love my Warbonnet Superfly for a cold weather/privacy tarp.You can shut out the rest of the world with the SuperFly.I use my sit pad under the hammock for a clean place to stand,hang all the smellables which include kitchen,first aid kit,toiletry hygiene kit etc. with the food.Takes roughly two bags to get the job done but all that is left is the day clothes and the pack which are hung under the tarp at the foot end unless I sleep with the clothes in a smell proof nylafume bag in the hammock to keep them warm for the next morning.

You can get a Dutch sidecar like was mentioned already,use a gear hammock hung off your hammock suspension to keep gear off ground and easily accessible.I use a little 2 oz boot hammock from SLD that holds my shoes and a bottle of water.I like to drink water in the middle of the night when outdoors.

Images
    Boot hammock? Hmmm... I actually use the boot itself as a hammock-side insulated cup holder. Then I always know where my water is in the darkness.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It gets quicker with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    What i found i didn't like about hammocks...a discreet place to change out of my hiking clothes... put all your stuff?
    For discrete changing, a tarp can be your friend. The hammock itself can also shield you from prying eyes to some extent and be used as a seat. Best is to camp with reasonable people who will give you some privacy when you announce, "I'm going to change clothes." A tarp draped nearly to the ground can give you privacy about like that of a bathroom stall or changing room in a department store, i.e. your feet may show but that's about it.

As has been mentioned, gear hammocks are lightweight, pack down well and keep gear off the ground if necessary. I made a small one that weighs 2 ounces. I don't always bring it and have often just put the pack on the ground under the hammock, wrapped in my tyvek sheet if it's raining. Hanging it off the suspension also works if the tarp extends far enough to cover it reliably.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    If I need privacy, I get dressed in my hammock. Actually lying in it. It's a bit awkward, but not too bad.

For the "where to put stuff?" question, I make a lot of use of my hammock's ridgeline to clip things to. I have a small gear hammock attached to the ridgeline near the head-end of my hammock for a book, a jacket, and other odds and ends. My headlamp also goes on my ridgeline, and so do my glasses. My water bottle clips to the ridgeline. I even clip my pack to the ridgeline so that it always stands upright next to my hammock and doesn't fall over.

The "what do you do if there are no suitable trees?" question stresses me out and makes me do a lot of research before I go somewhere.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Boot hammock? Hmmm... I actually use the boot itself as a hammock-side insulated cup holder. Then I always know where my water is in the darkness.
    The whole idea behind the boot hammock is to keep the shoes out of the spider zone.We have one called the Brown Recluse.It's the Brown Bear of spiders.My brother-in-law nearly lost a finger to one......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast