Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Images

Indoor Hammock Stand

Hey All,

For those of you who hang indoors... and haven't drilled holes into your walls...

What kind of stands have you bought or built?

I am trying to find something of nice enough quality to have in my house.

I would like to have something that has the ability to have both a hammock suspension and another suspension area, for attaching tarps and other stuff to mess around with.

Would prefer to have something in the sub-$200 range... if that is even possible.

Thanks,
    John

Images
    Several of us have used these:
    http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_vario.htm

Get's the job done, but:

1:I wish it's top post went up higher. Varying greatly by hammock, it can be a challenge to stay high enough off the ground. My HH safari is tough to use on this stand, tough to stay more than a few inches above the ground. Because that hammock hangs so far below it's ridge line and I need to toe it to something higher than this stand. On the other hand, with my virtually stretch free Claytor No Net, which also does not require (for me any way) very much sag, I have no trouble staying several feet above the ground if desired.

2: It flexes a good bit with body weight. Which makes it hard to keep a tight ridge line(RL). And is a main reason for problem #1 above. Once again, the RL free Claytor No Net is no problem even with this flex. Just adjust initially a few inches higher than you want to hand, and after flex you will be in the right place. My other hammocks work with various amounts of success and hassle.

One trick that helps a good bit is to pre-tension the stand with a rope or ratchet strap. Bit of as hassle though. But the stand will work, indoors or out.

Here is another:
    http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_viking.htm

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is one on ebay for about $125. I don't have any experience with it but it looks pretty. http://cgi.ebay.com/Wooden-Arc-Hammo...#ht_908wt_1161

or you could go with just a set of metal brackets like this one http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...OoHGlQemz7HSCAand use the wood of your choice.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    i just built my own using 2 12 foot 2x6 and 6 2x4 cost about 40 bucks for lumber and screws

Needs 8-6 inch decking screws and a handful of 3.5 inch wood screws it is 12 foot wide and a little under 8 foot tall can hang three hammocks in that space obivously its pretty big but can be scaled down to fit any room

Banned
    Images
    @BillyBob58,

Yeah saw those ones on amazon.com but I am not sure I want a metal frame (for in my house).

@chickenwing

Wow, that's a pretty sweet price on the ebay stand. Everybody else seems to be at or around $300, which I wasn't going to pay.

Those metal brackets are actually kind of sweet. Would allow me to really stretch out a nice long one... and use higher risers for the ability to have a hammock plus other gear.

@tomsawyer222, I had thought about that... got any drawing of what you did?

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    @BillyBob58,

@tomsawyer222, I had thought about that... got any drawing of what you did?
    how about pictures of the stand? I dont really have any drawings on paper did not need any it was really simple my picture gallery has pictures of the stand you can check them out there and if you have any questions just ask. I figure the stand can support at least 600 pounds probably more cause of the cross braces. It can at least take what ever you would realistically throw at it and if you increase height of the angled braces you could really swing in it at the top and have no problem. If you shorten the height of the stand or the length it will be even stronger but dont shorten it to less then 10.5 feet it will comprimise the comfort of your hammock.

Also if you get one of the stands that has the outward angled bars be ready for quite a bit of sag in your hammock and ridge line this stand does not do that cause of the cross bars.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Redwood guy, theres a really good set of instructions in the tutorial forum. Lots of folks have built them here and they all like them.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Banned
    Images
    Hey Guys,

Ok so checking out some ideas and grabbed a tape measure today.

I have one room where I could put a 10-foot long stand and another room where I could put a larger stand. The second room is 23 feet long, so I could probably get away with a 13-15 foot stand without any problems.

I have bought the WBBB and plan on getting the WB Superfly.

I was thinking of going with the up-right rather than the slanted versions, using 4x4's, sort of like what tomsawyer222 has done with mostly 2x2's with his (thanks for the uploads!! very helpful !!)

Anyway, my main question now is this...

Considering the hammock/tarp I am going with... how long should I make this sucker? It could very easily go in either room I have. So, size does not matter to me in regards to which room to put it in. Mainly, I just want to make sure that I get a perfect length for the WBBB/Superfly - which are on hold for another week or two.

secondarily question: I did not think about having an upper-beam such as what tomsawyer222 has done. Do you guys think that is going to be necessary for stability?

Thanks a bunch guys - been amazingly helpful so far!

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just use use a large C-clamp on the I-beam running the length of my basement for one tie off point and then tie off my other end to one of the support poles that hold up the I-beam. The entire set up cost me $8 or $11.
    Last edited by BreckDown; 03-20-2010 at 06:02. Reason: pre-coffee pre-sunrise post.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    RG, the overhead beam is the cheap, easy way to make a homemade stand hell for stout.

As for length, look at the ridgeline length of the largest tarp you anticipate using, and build to that.

If you only want to hang a hammock, 10' will accomodate most gathered end camping hammocks...my stand is 12' long, and I intend to shorten it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast