Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps

Backpacking Shining Rock Wilderness

Did a 23 mile loop around Shining Rock Wilderness the weekend before last. Wasn't quite peak season for the color on the leaves (had a dry warm summer), but it was beautiful none the less.

Started at Big East Fork Trailhead and stayed close to the trailhead for the first night (got to the trailhead around 10pm and were set up by around 11:30). My friend Clayton was in his Chameleon and I took a Ridge Runner with a SLD 13' Wind Haven, 40 degree Loco Libre Ridge Reaper with matching top quilt. Temperatures got down to 34 the first night and I was as warm as can be. I really love all of my Loco Libre quilts. Without turning this into a gear review, I'm realizing that as much as I want to like the Ridge Runner to side sleep, I get better sleep in my other hammocks. I am a side sleeper in a bed, but I've learned to half side sleep in a gathered end and have gotten really comfortable with it. My Luxury Bridge from Townsend (Justbill) is much better, though. For whatever reason, I can side sleep and have enough room to spread my legs out in there. More field testing is certainly needed!

Anyways, made the climb up Shining Creek Path to the intersection of the Art Loeb trail near Shining Rock (5.4 miles and 2400 feet of elevation gain). A good workout to start the loop. Took the Art Loeb trail south from there over through Ivestor Gap for lunch and then over Tennent Mountain and Black Balsam and camped along the Art Loeb just past Black Balsam Rd where my dad joined us for the second night. Black Balsam offers some of the best views in Pisgah.

Headed down through Graveyard Fields via the MST and Graveyard Ridge trails on the third morning with the rain starting around 11am stopping by the Middle and Lower Falls (with all of the masses of people who have flocked to the Blue Ridge Parkway) before continuing down the MST and Bridges Camp Trail to the intersection of Greasy Cove Trail and Big East Fork Trail where we camped along the stream for our last night. Was pouring rain the entire afternoon and most of the night. Skipped making dinner, but stayed nice and dry and went to bed early with the sound of the rain hitting the Wind Haven and the rumble of the stream in the background. Beats the dream machine for sure.

Finished the final morning of our trip with a 4.6 mile hike down Big East Fork Trail back to the trailhead. Despite the rain, great 3 nights in Pisgah.

GPS and photos:
    https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/map--68698

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Really enjoyed the video, the panoramic shots of the hills partly enshrouded by fog were awesome. You guys definitely got away from it all.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    That looks like a fun loop. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Great video! I liked the editing style and the music. Beautiful shots you took throughout those hills and laurel valleys.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Love the video! Pretty place too... love all the water shots.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    Really enjoyed the video, the panoramic shots of the hills partly enshrouded by fog were awesome. You guys definitely got away from it all.
    Thanks. I didn't take a single picture or video of the waterfalls that we past along the Blue Ridge Parkway or from the top of Black Balsam because of the crowds (even in the rain), but not a lot of people make that climb up Shining Creek Path.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Great video! I liked the editing style and the music. Beautiful shots you took throughout those hills and laurel valleys.
    Thanks. I'm still learning how to piece the videos together, but I'm getting a better appreciation of what goes into making videos. Shug, Syntax77, Darwin, Prelohded, and so many others that do these have been great inspiration.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Thank you. Nothing better than hanging by a stream for a great night sleep.

• + New Posts