Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Indeed, will do! When you get right down to it, Lapp is the simplest hitch on Earth.

There is also a little trick for positioning it precisely. I like the foot end CL connection point to be about chin high, so I lay the webbing over the CL and pinch it near the end of the CL so that it is at that height. Then pull the CL through pinched fingers so that the loop is big enough to pull the slipped bight of webbing through it, and finish by pulling the CL back toward the hammock to cinch/set. That way it ends up where intended. But I'd guess that almost everybody (which is only a few!) who uses the Lapp Hitch has stumbled across this, obvious as it is...
    I do this ^^ with the becket.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Understand exactly what you are talking about. The Lapp Hitch works beautifully in local parks near my home. When on the trail, something in my brain forces my hands to create a Becket Hitch. Habits are hard to break.
    I've seen the vid showing the Lapp and the Anti-Lapp. One holds and one doesn't. Once that was put in my memory, I lost the ability to remember which is which. Plus I have a year or three of becket muscle memory to overcome. It just happens!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I do this ^^ with the becket.

I've seen the vid showing the Lapp and the Anti-Lapp. One holds and one doesn't. Once that was put in my memory, I lost the ability to remember which is which. Plus I have a year or three of becket muscle memory to overcome. It just happens!!
    When tying the Lapp to a CL, it is literally impossible to do the Anti-Lapp! This is because there is no tag end on a CL.

I will show you this tomorrow evening.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    When tying the Lapp to a CL, it is literally impossible to do the Anti-Lapp! This is because there is no tag end on a CL.

I will show you this tomorrow evening.
    MikekiM, I’ve forgotten several times difference between Lapp and Anti-Lapp hitch. Maybe I’ll remember after looking at pictures again.
    Cmoulder is right, Anti-Lapp can not occur when using continuous loop as part of Lapp hitch.
    The weak, prone to slip, or distort, Anti-Lapp can only occur when using two cords, both with loose ends

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    These are fairly easy to make so long as you are comfortable tying one or two knots each time you setup your hammock.

1) Firstly, put two pursik knots on short loops to hold the two corners of the tarp to the ridge line. Loop them around your tarp tie outs permanently.
    2) Tie a bowline around a tree on one end.
    3) Tie a taut line hitch to the opposite tree and use that to tension the ridge line.

Alternatively, two replace step 2, put a small bowline into one end permanently. Then when hanging the tarp, find a stick to use as a toggle. Wrap around the tree, put a bight of the ridge line through the bowline, slide the toggle through that bight, and pull tight so that it can't slip back through the bowline. Either one of these is fine. Just personal preference. The toggle through a bowline (which is similar to a marlin spike hitch, is faster to put up and release. Without tension it loses security though. It's quicker to release. The nice thing is you don't have to choose. Just try out different options every time you hang the tarp and see what you like.

This is exactly the setup that I use except I have a Dutchware hook and a Dutchware wasp on either side of my ridge line. They're weigh a combined 2.41 grams or 0.085 ounces and make setup so much quicker. It's nice to have a tarp that can go up in under a minute in the rain.

Good luck.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    LOL... Happy to help brother!! And, I'm glad you're happy!!
    The toggle is a cool way to make then tensioner on the CRL, but we can redesign that RL so you have no hardware if you want to!!

There are a few knots I use with zingit that hold fine.. The double dragon, bowline, water knot, fisherman's knot...

I'll start a new thread soon and we can do that. I'm managed 3 nights out recently and even with the practice in my yard my deployment techniques need to be refined or I'm gonna be screwed on a windy rainy day. Once I'm done the setup is solid, getting there takes too much time figuring things out.

TACBLADES has a great video showing the double dragon, farrimond hitch, and a stop knot that all look good.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Not trying to divert this thread, but Farrimond Friction Hitch is a great way to hang a food bag. It allows easy height adjustment of the food bag to prevent that 7 foot height that is sometimes seen on the trail. Untying the knot makes it possible to break camp quickly and get on with the hike. Only downside is being easy to mess up when hurried and tying too quickly.
    Would you describe how you use a Farrimond to raise the height of the bag? Typically I pull the bag up and tie the working end off to a nearby tree. We don't have bear problems in my area, and only occasional bear issues in northern MN. Mostly I hang to keep the food away from camp and not encourage lesser creatures. [ whups, I'm diverting the thread... :-) ]
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    MikekiM, I’ve forgotten several times difference between Lapp and Anti-Lapp hitch. Maybe I’ll remember after looking at pictures again.
    Cmoulder is right, Anti-Lapp can not occur when using continuous loop as part of Lapp hitch.
    The weak, prone to slip, or distort, Anti-Lapp can only occur when using two cords, both with loose ends
    We got to play around with the Lapp Hitch this weekend. I'll have to doe it a bunch more times before I am ready to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    I'll start a new thread soon and we can do that. I'm managed 3 nights out recently and even with the practice in my yard my deployment techniques need to be refined or I'm gonna be screwed on a windy rainy day. Once I'm done the setup is solid, getting there takes too much time figuring things out.

TACBLADES has a great video showing the double dragon, farrimond hitch, and a stop knot that all look good.
    Nothing better than repetition.. in a local park, your yard, or the trail. Just keep doing it.

I use the Double Dragon all the time. In fact, I think I used that on the ucrs on your ridge line. Holds strong in zingit.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Would you describe how you use a Farrimond to raise the height of the bag? Typically I pull the bag up and tie the working end off to a nearby tree. We don't have bear problems in my area, and only occasional bear issues in northern MN. Mostly I hang to keep the food away from camp and not encourage lesser creatures. [ whups, I'm diverting the thread... :-) ]
    Farrimond Hitch 4.jpg

Above pic is admittedly clear as mud, but long story short, the food bag is attached to the rope having the turns on it. Tighten it up, and place tension on the completed knot by sliding the loops towards the food bag. Animated Knots has a nice demo of the knot: https://www.animatedknots.com/farrim...ion-hitch-knot

Used to tie the cord to the tree via bowline, but doing under presser was a pain (plus I seldom got it right). Then I went to half hitches, this was better. To me the Farrimond can be fussy at times, but being able to change the height of the food bag sealed the deal, not to mention untying the knot. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Recalc; 11-12-2019 at 09:07. Reason: Picture clarification

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post

My favorite knot... a break-away fiction hitch.....Works a charm... three tries and you'll have it down pat

Going to switch gears a bit. Would this be a good knot to use on tie outs in gusty weather? I had 30+MPH gusts this weekend, and every tautline hitch on the the lines to my pegs slipped all the way down. Tarp flapping in the breeze kept me up most of the night.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Farrimond Friction Hitch can be used on tarp guy lines. If expecting high winds, use six wraps instead of three wraps. Six wraps gives 12 coils, since you are wrapping with a (doubled) bight.
    Doesn’t take long, since you are not reeving-going back to loose end of cord for each maneuver.

Be sure to dress hitch, making sure hitch is neat, tight, and all coils do not cross each other.

Also I always add three links of daisy chain or monkey braid to stabilize hitch. Daisy chain is when you put an additional bight through last bight of hitch, removing excess play in each bight
    Do three links of daisy chain
    A daisy chain is illustrated—same way some people shorten and store long electrical drop cords.

Also with high winds I always try to tie off on trees, bushes, or heavy logs, to prevent a stake from pulling loose and slingshotting through tarp and hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234