Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

WB Ridgerunner Zipper modification

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know where I can get a Ridgerunner zipper modified? Currently the RR has two zipper sliders that circle around the entire perimeter of the hammock and stop at the foot end where the bugnet can be rolled up and stowed away, but you can only enter/exit the hammock from one side at a time. If for any reason you want to sit or use the other side, you have to walk the zipper sliders around and position them on that side. I'd like to be able to enter from either side without having to think about it.

Also, once inside the hammock it'd be nice to stick my hands out from both sides to make adjustments or grab something from the outside. I like to put gear and stuff on the "blind side" of my hammock to make use of that real estate. Currently, that's not possible. Finally, it'd be nice to make the bugnet completely detachable too. Sometimes you just don't need the bugnet.

If anybody is handy at modifying hammocks, or knows someone, that'd be of great help.

Thanks,

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    2QZQ should be able to help you with that give them a call I’m sure that we were glad to help you
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As far as I know, this just means adding two more sleds to the zipper. If you were to order a new Ridgerunner from Warbonnet, they might be able to add two sleds for a small charge. Maybe they're even willing to modify your current Ridgerunner. Might be worth contacting them.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I tried talk to them before I ordered mine, no way they would do what I needed.

They told me that they have those zippers and thats it. I would very much prefer removable bugnet with the sliders on both sides without the need to go all around the hammock.

I am really considering to exchange the zipper with another one, as the original does not have the ending, thus its not so easy to cut it.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Good to know, I've actually given up on the Ridgerunner for the time being. A few weeks ago after learning that Warbonnet was not able to make this minor modification, I had decided to buy the RR as is and have a seamstress make the zipper modification for me back home.

I wrote Warbonnet asking them when they would have the RR available in Blue, and they never replied. So I took it as a sign that they're either too busy or not interested in my business.

I had also contacted 2QZQ earlier to see if they could replace the zipper if I bought the hammock and new zipper coils separately and had those shipped to them, and they kindly replied that no, they wouldn't.

All that combined with the fact that some RR users claim that you sleep as flat as in a bed kind of turned me down, at least for now. I like my gathered end hammocks because with the slight curvature I can sleep on my back the whole night. It's just my natural position. But if the hammock is really as flat as a bed I know that within minutes I'll get tired of lying on my back, and I will be turning all night to one side or the other. Bridge hammocks are narrow in the center, which means that while lying in a fetal position my knees are going to press against the edges of the hammock on its narrowest side.

I've decided to wait until I can go to a Hang event somewhere and try a bridge hammock for myself. I'm also open to other bridge manufacturers and see what they bring to the table.

For the time being, I have too many gathered-end hammocks, and currently eyeing a Dream Hammock Sparrow from a distance.

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post
    They told me that they have those zippers and thats it. I would very much prefer removable bugnet with the sliders on both sides without the need to go all around the hammock.
    They didn't want to add 2 extra sliders or they didn't want to use a different zipper? Adding 2 extra sliders should be fairly straightforward. Using a different zipper that can be separated is probably impossible for just one order. You would need a zipper with a length that fits the Ridgerunner exactly. The separating zippers for the XLC are custom-made for Warbonnet, as far as I know. And they only have one slider each. That's why they use two zippers to allow for opening and closing the zipper near the shoulder instead of the head or foot end. They would need to get custom zippers in a different length.

I am really considering to exchange the zipper with another one, as the original does not have the ending, thus its not so easy to cut it.
    Do you want to just add two sliders? I just had a close look at the Ridgerunner; the ends are only sewn closed. I haven't worked with zippers, yet, but I think it would be possible to open one seam and add a second pair of sliders. I would practice on a piece of zipper first, though.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Yeah, go for it. If you already bought the hammock you just have to get the zippers. I've used this company in the past for other projects and they're great, www.questoutfitters.com/zippers.htm and they can help you choose the best zipper size for your hammock. They'll probably ask you to take some measurements, but that's fine.

I don't DIY anthing, except for my whoopie slings. So I just take stuff like this to a seamstress with detailed instructions of what I want. Never had a problem. Obviously I'd prefer that the manufacturer made the modifications on the product, but sometimes that's just not possible.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    Bridge hammocks are narrow in the center, which means that while lying in a fetal position my knees are going to press against the edges of the hammock on its narrowest side.

I've decided to wait until I can go to a Hang event somewhere and try a bridge hammock for myself. I'm also open to other bridge manufacturers and see what they bring to the table.

For the time being, I have too many gathered-end hammocks, and currently eyeing a Dream Hammock Sparrow from a distance.

R
    Check out JustBill's video on the different positions that you can get in with his bridges. After watching his videos, I tried reversing my lay by putting my head at the narrower end of my Luxury Bridge and it gave me more room to flare my legs out when I sleep on my side. Just a thought.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    All that combined with the fact that some RR users claim that you sleep as flat as in a bed kind of turned me down, at least for now.
    While the RR is a flat laying hammock it's definitely no where near as flas a lay as a bed

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    Check out JustBill's video on the different positions that you can get in with his bridges. After watching his videos, I tried reversing my lay by putting my head at the narrower end of my Luxury Bridge and it gave me more room to flare my legs out when I sleep on my side. Just a thought.
    Thanks, yeah I'm actually very intrigued about Justbill's hammock, and have watched several of his videos. I really like the fact that his bridge has amsteel running along the edges of the entire hammock.

But since I want to be able to take this hammock backpacking, and I do a lot of stuff in the tropical jungle there are a couple of things that I would need to modify here:

1- I would need it to be as light as possible (the carbon poles would be a must, and they would each need to break down into three segments so that they're not poking outside the backpack)

2- I would prefer a removable and integrated bugnet with zippers, not the sock-type net.

3- I would need some storage. The header and footer-type extensions at either end of the hammock do offer some space to put stuff in them. You could easily reach inside the head area, but if you put stuff down by the feet, it'd be a bit of a workout to get them while you're in the hammock. Honestly it'd be great of Justbill could design some removable saddlebags that could be installed and uninstalled. The extensions also make the hammock longer. That means a longer tarp, which in turn means more weight.

So it sounds like I'm asking for too many modifications for this hammock. In turn the WB Ridgerunner would be perfect if it just had a removable bugnet with zippers on either side.

R

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast