HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Smile They're baaaaaack ! First frost and a not-so-quiet night hanging at home.....

When I saw the forecast for this weekend I got excited : cold and clear....FINALLY. With a low of 32° last night, 32- 33 tonight and 27-28° tomorrow it's beginning to actually feel like fall here at the head of the Chesapeake bay. I set up my rig : XLC, -10° 'Bator, Snugpak TQ + Snugpak Thermalon TQ liner , ZQ UQP and HG Econ pillow , expecting a cool and quite night. Wearing a pair of midweight Darn Tough wool socks under a pair of 200g Polartec fleece liner socks from the Ukrainian tactical clothing company 281.Z , midweight micro grid fleece base layer top & bottom from Condor, fleece fingerless gloves and my UGQ down Skully , I quickly fell asleep while watching a movie on my kindle and breathing in the crisp autumn air.

All was good until around 630 this morning, when I was rudely awakened by what I'm calling the lead reconnaissance element from a mixed squadron of Canadian geese and Mallard ducks. This "flight of fowl" were practicing touch and go's and low altitude $#¡+ bombing runs from their new amphibious base : the calm , sheltered waters in front of my house. The cacophony of low, rumbling ,back and forth chatter between birds already on base, and the loud echoing calls by air traffic control guiding in the rest of the flight was enough to keep me from falling back to sleep and forced me to retreat inside. Defeated, I slipped my whoopies from their toggles and carried my entire rig in to prevent those still in a holding pattern DIRECTLY OVER HEAD from jettisoning any remaining bombs on my precious.

I'm sure the entirety of the squadron will have landed by tomorrow morning with hundreds of future
    Underquilts and " Christmas Story" duck dinners literally camped out in my front yard. So, while I'm glad my fall hanging season has finally started , the quiet was very short lived and it's already time to break out the war, err, ear plugs. From my extensive experience gained living here where I do, that can only mean one thing : it's gonna be a long COLD winter..... and that is definitely music to my ears.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Lol, glad you enjoyed!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Lol, glad you enjoyed!
    I actually thought of you last night. This was in the vault toilets

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    And that's exactly why my bugnet stays on until the ground is a frozen solid arctic tundra lol. I learned my lesson a few November's ago when an Earwig actually got in my ear. They were quite amused at my story in the E.R lol.... " You were doing what in a hammock? " , " Dont you get cold ? " and " how do you sleep all folded up like a banana? ". Once they pulled it out they said they'd never actually seen an earwig in someone's ear before lol. Ever since then it's been net until all bugs are beyond frozen solid lol.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Lol, glad you enjoyed!
    Wonderfully said! Reminds me of how my Navy Commander Grandpa might describe the same situation. He’s 93 years old and still has that same northeast humor (he’s grew up in Camden, Maine, but was stationed in Norfolk for a good bit of his service.) Thanks for the laugh!
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Goose can be made to taste very good provided you marinate it properly A full tummy makes it easier to sleep as well.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tstark View Post
    Wonderfully said! Reminds me of how my Navy Commander Grandpa might describe the same situation. He’s 93 years old and still has that same northeast humor (he’s grew up in Camden, Maine, but was stationed in Norfolk for a good bit of his service.) Thanks for the laugh!
    Thanks, I definitely inherited my sense of humor and ultra descriptive style of story telling from my Grandfather too lol. What would the world be without laughter ya know? Every situation has an element of humor to it I think, you just have to know where to look .

Slug~ yes, goose can definitely be made to taste good as long as it's not too oily IMHO . But that's just the downside of waterfowl.

Chesapeake, I have missed your wildlife stories- your descriptive writing makes me feel like I'm right there with you. I am looking forward to this seasons tales.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Chesapeake, I have missed your wildlife stories- your descriptive writing makes me feel like I'm right there with you. I am looking forward to this seasons tales.
    Thanks. I'm sure I'll have plenty to share now that it's finally cool enough to get back out and hang!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast