Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cold weather help

I’m going out with friends for 4 nights soon. Forecast has temps dropping to 21F one night. The last time I camped at this temp I froze my butt off. I have a warbonnet BB with. 20 degree warbonnet yeti 3/4 UQ, a wiggys sleeping bag rated to 20 and an inflatable sleeping pad I put inside the sleeping bag to prevent it from moving around. With those 3 items I was on the verge of hypothermia. I’m considering pitting a SOL thermal survival bag inside the sleeping bag as well or trying to use an old sleeping bag for a makeshift additional UQ. Any other suggestions to keep a little more comfortable at night?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    On your first trip that you were speaking about Do you remember being wet or damp when you woke up or while you were having problems staying warm?
    I ask because I think that you're going to have a vapor issue if you try to use that SOL blanket inside your sleeping bag. Those things typically are made of mylar and they do not breathe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

On the first trip I didn’t have any condensation issues. I know there is the potential for moisture with the SOL and realize it isn’t a perfect solution

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Time for some real insulation. A good top quilt and full length winter rated under quilt will last you a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Time for some real insulation. A good top quilt and full length winter rated under quilt will last you a lifetime.
    Would an extra sleeping bag half( I have an older sleeping bag I could cut in half) be used as an effective top quilt?

It's hard to say why you were cold. Condensation from sleeping on the pad? Cold from the air under your legs and feet because the Yeti didn't cover that far down. The other thing you might try is pouring boiling or almost boiling water into a 1L Nalgene bottle before you get into the hammock and put the bottle in a thick wool sock. That won't solve your insulation problem but, at least, it may help you make it through the night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Are you car camping or backpacking? If car camping you can take anything you need, ie covers from your bed, electric blanket if the site has power, heaters, etc.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    So I have a couple of suggestions - reflectix is basically bubble wrap with Mylar put on the outside - You can find this at any hardware store - a roll of around 10 ft is probably all you'll need
    Wool blankets are also an excellent pad of sorts that does breathe as well as an additional source of insulation - Check your army surplus store or there are a number of online outlets that sell army blankets And even some that sell brand new rothco or even Italian army blankets
    And if you have any sewing skills you should be able to convert a mummy bag.
    I put a few video links down there that I have posted on my YouTube channel detailing these things. I won't be offended if you don't watch the whole videos but it does outline some of the tips and tricks that I've used to stay warm until I actually had enough money to purchase a true top quilt and under quilt.
    https://youtu.be/Koglj-QlaOU
    https://youtu.be/8o1Fd3FJBn8
    https://youtu.be/oT2viATIkkU
    https://youtu.be/sv1Rskfn_jo

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Surprised nobody has asked yet. What clothes are you sleeping in? Loose fitting clothing, worn only in the hammock, is a must for staying warm in the cold. Less is definitely more in cold temps.

This is a backpacking trip. If I were car camping I would take all the things. Thanks for the links and suggestions @gilligans world

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast