Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    am a female, i camp solo, never carried or wanted to carry a gun on the trail. with the exception in the tundra of alaska, it was required to carry a riffle for polar bears

so yes, i say paranoid, but HYOH
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I solo .....
    One thing I do that helps me is play out and rehearse scenarios in my head.
    Shug
    Shug,
    I knew there was something going on in that head besides ordinary thinking!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I'm in Northern Alabama and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Images
    I hiked the Alabama connector trail and the entire Pinhoti, solo, on my way from Key West to Springer Mountain. I have a concealed carry permit but could not and cannot justify the extra weight in my kit. The only time I truly needed it was during an attempted mugging while I had stopped for a night in a motel. I was surrounded by hogs and coyotes more than once during the night. Never once was I threatened by them and they ran like rabbits as soon as I made my presence known. Many times I thought about "what if" situations and found that I would not have the time to identify and react to a threat with a firearm while asleep under a tarp. Take comfort in the fact that there is an inverse relationship between the size of an animal and the noise it makes while moving through the forest. By far, the loudest crashing through the brush I heard at night was caused by a 9 banded armadillo. On the other hand a black bear is almost as stealthy as they come. Alabamian's were the nicest bunch of people I met on my entire hike. You are in good company there. Carry if it makes you feel better. Maybe after a while you'll get used to the night sounds and smells and find you won't need it after all. Take Care and let us know how it goes!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    switchback
    Nicely said T-Back.....Know your surroundings, be alert and hike your own hike and lastly, enjoy your time in the woods.....

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I solo hike exclusively. I've hiked both with and without a gun. Lately, I haven't wanted to carry the weight, but keep my SOG knife nearby at night. As long as you're responsible, then whatever makes you comfortable is fine. I'm planning a solo trip this fall where I saw a black bear on trail two years ago. I'll probably carry on that trip just for peace of mind.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opie984
    BTW, not sure about your neck of the woods in AL, but I know there are A LOT of hogs in and around the Birmingham area.

BB58:
    Well, I don't think there is any reason to get personal and insulting like that!

Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    No insult, I have a friend who live just north of Birmingham and there are coyotes and hogs galore on his property. Every time we walk his property there is either fresh rutting from hogs or coyote signs (poop, dead animals, etc.) or both.
    Sorry, I was trying to make a funny play on words! I'll have to practice more!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Bring bear spray or mace if you would like a little protection. If your wrong at least the person or animal isn't dead. I've never felt threatened on the trail before and don't know anyone else who has. As far as murders go, I feel I have a better chance of it happening here in Chicago in some of the neighborhoods I work in. My thought is down your way those animals are used to being hunted and run like h--l when they see people. Now in polar bear county I'd have to reconsider.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    These are all hypotheticals. I can give you a few real life experiences.

1) Ran into feral hogs on the buffalo river while floating. I was armed (not legal at the time). They charged the canoe. A couple of quick splashes with the paddle and slapping the water and side of the canoe and they ran off. I think the only reason they charged in the first place was because they had babies. Moral of the story: had a gun, was glad I had it, didn't need it.

2) Ran smack into a bear at about 12:30AM on cave mountain. I had gotten there late on a friday night and was trying to get far enough from the parking area to be legal before throwing down a sleeping bag. I was about 10 feet from this bear and was armed. I couldn't back away b/c of the brush I had just crawled through. I was armed (legally). I also had an extremely bright SureFire flashlight with me. A couple strobes of the light, some yelling, and a toot on my whistle and he took off. Moral of the story: had a gun, didn't need it, was VERY glad to have it.

3) Bushwhacking in some AR forest service land looking for good waterfalls after a big rain. I spotted a group of people from a distance but didn't worry about it much since it just looked like they were camping. Once they spotted me they approached and fanned out, yelling at me that they were going to kill me. I assume they were doing something illegal when I walked up, though I never saw what. At any rate, I was armed (legally). I didn't want to drop my pack and run as I was miles from my car with no trail. After a few verbal warnings, I drew and made it clear that I intended to defend myself. They decided they had better things to do and I was able to safely make it back to my car. Moral of the story: had a gun, had to draw it, and it probably saved my life.

You're very unlikely to need a gun to defend yourself against wildlife. They are usually scared off easily. People, on the other hand, are sometimes very dangerous and unpredictable.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good stories ..... makes sense to me.
    You really used your wits and I like your advice.
    Even though I don't own a gun I like it if someone with me is!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast