Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images

backpacking with dog

I am wondering if anyone here can share what they do when they go backpacking with their dog(s). Specifically I am looking for reccomendations for sleeping arrangments in cold weather. Last time I went backpacking my buddy was still a puppy and slept in the hammock with me (my electric blanket that ran on dog food) but now he is way too big and I am afraid that he would rip my now irreplacable hammock. I need something warm for him to sleep on but it has to be lightweight and packable. Does anyone have any recommendations? I could build him a hotbed when we get there but it's a lot of work and time consuming so I have already ruled that out as a possibility.

Thanks in advance...

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    As temps drop its important to have a good wind break for the dog. Windward side of the tarp down tight to the ground and doors closed and throw my jacket over her. I use the Pet Palace from Cave Creek Hammocks . They make an optional winter cover for it. But when it hits mid to low 20's at night I leave poochy at home.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    As temps drop its important to have a good windbreak for the dog. Windward side of the tarp down tight to the ground and doors closed and throw my jacket over her. I use the Pet Palace from Cave Creek Hammocks. They make an optional winter cover for it. But when it hits mid to low 20's at night I leave poochy at home.
    Thanks for the tip but Holy cow that Pet Palace is expensive. $185 dollars is a bit much for me. I like the idea though, it gets the wheels turning on something that I could make, but it looks like it doesn't pack down very small. Mainly I just need something like a small air pad or something to get him off of the ground.

I have the let palace also, but if that’s too much why not get a foam pad? Or get a fleece blanket? Lots of options out there. Ruffwear has some options

Quote Originally Posted by Medicpathetic View Post
    Mainly I just need something like a small air pad or something to get him off of the ground.
    In that case why not simply cut a foam sleeping mat down to dog size? It's both cheap and light and you can get just about any thickness you need.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    How about the Dutch Pup Tent?

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    I thought about a foam pad, I think that it will be too big to fit into his pack. The more I think about it the more I want to find/make something inflatable. I like the dutch pup tent though, it may be a contender.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicpathetic View Post
    I thought about a foam pad, I think that it will be too big to fit into his pack. The more I think about it the more I want to find/make something inflatable. I like the dutch pup tent though, it may be a contender.
    Maybe trim down a piece of reflectix and have rocks on the corners? I don't have a dog yet but I'm looking to get one soon, and it will definitely be going out with me. I've had eye on the pup tent for a while, I think combining that with a little insulation would be pretty good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG Econ JRB underQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I only take the dog on day trips. He's so protective at night that every sound will cause him to woof which means no sleep for me.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    Maybe trim down a piece of reflectix and have rocks on the corners? I don't have a dog yet but I'm looking to get one soon, and it will definitely be going out with me. I've had eye on the pup tent for a while, I think combining that with a little insulation would be pretty good.
    Rocks? What's a rock? Is that one of those hard pieces of mud that they have up north? haha. Yeah, I have pretty much decided on the pup tent, I plan to modify it when I get it to add some fluff to the bottom to insulate from the ground. It should pack down small enough to fit in my little buddy's pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast