Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Senior Member Downhill Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Before we can recommend a replacement, what about your current tarp needs improvement? The ridge line, at 10 ft, seems a little short. I like lots of coverage myself. But it doesn't come without some costs - weight, bulk, tussle with the wind, etc.
    Thanks for all of the great tips!

    I've actually been quite happy with my tarp but I want to save some weight and upgrade to dyneema. Also want to try a different setup and see if I like it. There have been tons of improvements since I bought my OES tarp.

    Right now I'm leaning toward a Hammock Gear standard dyneema with the linelocs and Lawson cordage. Still not sure about the ridgeline though.

  2. #12
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    14,056
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Judging by your photos, I really don't see why the width of the standard would be a problem. I just know I've read some threads where owners of that tarp were unhappy with the coverage and wished they'd bought the Palace instead. The coverage looks pretty reasonable to me though.
    I started with the HG standard, but did not find the coverage sufficient. I got wet several times with wind-blown rain coming under the tarp. Then I upgraded to the Palace and haven't gotten wet since.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #13
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Images
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    Still not sure about the ridgeline though.
    Do you want to stick with a CRL? Your old system of Dutch Hook and Fly is still a pretty good one, so if it aint broke... Do you currently use Prusiks on the CRL for tensioning the tarp? If so, one possible upgrade are these Nama Claws. Lots of people like these and they're inexpensive. Chances are you could retrofit them onto your existing CRL.

    https://www.namagear.com/product-page/nama-claws

  4. #14
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Images
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I started with the HG standard, but did not find the coverage sufficient. I got wet several times with wind-blown rain coming under the tarp. Then I upgraded to the Palace and haven't gotten wet since.
    Referring back to Dirtbaghiker's photos, in the first one the coverage looks pretty good, but in the second it looks dicey. In the second, the RL is strung pretty high above the hammock though.

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...8&d=1573488563

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9&d=1550886973

    Going by specs, the HG standard is wider than the Warbonnet Minifly and the same width as the Thunderfly. Both are popular tarps, for sure. And if Downhill Trucker has this many years of experience using a 10' OES MacCat (only 7' width, I believe), the 8.5' wide HG standard will be a noticeable step up.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-12-2019 at 09:04.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Downhill Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Do you want to stick with a CRL? Your old system of Dutch Hook and Fly is still a pretty good one, so if it aint broke... Do you currently use Prusiks on the CRL for tensioning the tarp? If so, one possible upgrade are these Nama Claws. Lots of people like these and they're inexpensive. Chances are you could retrofit them onto your existing CRL.

    https://www.namagear.com/product-page/nama-claws
    They look pretty cool. One of my problems with the CRL is that I don't like fiddling with the prussiks when its wet and cold, these could be a solution.

    Also wasnt sure how the CRL would work on the HG tarp. I liked it on my OES because it could go under the tarp and be used to hang things. My buddy had a warbonnet tarp with too much arc, so he had to put the CRL on top. Anyone with a HG tarp and a CRL know if it would work under the tarp?

    Overall, im looking to save a little weight and make setup easier. I live out west now, so it barely rains and I rarely use a tarp.

    Also worth considering... I occasionally sleep on the ground and setup my tarp tied to trees or with trekking poles. I was thinking that getting away from the CRL and using individual lines may aid in this.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Downhill Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Referring back to Dirtbaghiker's photos, in the first one the coverage looks pretty good, but in the second it looks dicey. In the second, the RL is strung pretty high above the hammock though.

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...8&d=1573488563

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9&d=1550886973

    Going by specs, the HG standard is wider than the Warbonnet Minifly and the same width as the Thunderfly. Both are popular tarps, for sure. And if Downhill Trucker has this many years of experience using a 10' OES MacCat (only 7' width, I believe), the 8.5' wide HG standard will be a noticeable step up.

    Exactly! Size of the newer tarps is way bigger than what I'm used to, and I've pitched in some really bad situations. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the HG in dyneema, it's just the rigging options I'm concerned about now.

  7. #17
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Images
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    They look pretty cool. One of my problems with the CRL is that I don't like fiddling with the prussiks when its wet and cold, these could be a solution.

    Also wasnt sure how the CRL would work on the HG tarp. I liked it on my OES because it could go under the tarp and be used to hang things. My buddy had a warbonnet tarp with too much arc, so he had to put the CRL on top. Anyone with a HG tarp and a CRL know if it would work under the tarp?

    Overall, im looking to save a little weight and make setup easier. I live out west now, so it barely rains and I rarely use a tarp.

    Also worth considering... I occasionally sleep on the ground and setup my tarp tied to trees or with trekking poles. I was thinking that getting away from the CRL and using individual lines may aid in this.
    It doesn't look like the HG Dyneema Hex has much of a catenary cut on the ridge seam, so I don't think running the CRL under the tarp would be a big problem from that perspective. With any tarp, running the CRL underneath is going to add to the possibility of abrasion, so that's something to at least keep in mind. If I recall, forum member michigandave likes to run a CRL under his tarp, and I believe he's got the DCF Hex.

    If you're open to trying separate lines, these are pretty great, and you can buy them with the lines already spliced on. They're on sale thru the 17th as well.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/stingerz/

  8. #18
    cougarmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Posts
    1,542
    I think the main issue with ridge line under the tarp is it provides an highway for water. So it is important to have an effective water block if you go under. I go under in the winter - when I want extra support because of the snow and rain is usually not an issue.

    There is the abrasion factor but I'd imagine any old thing hung on that ridge line would pull it down just enough that it doesn't rub under the tarp.

    Remember, there are Pros AND CONS to dyneema; cons besides cost.

    Also, there are CRL riggings that allow sliding the whole line rather than prussic (or any other "on-the-line") knots at each end. I run from the tarp end, around the tree, down the ridge line of the tarp around the other tree and back to the tarp. The line is connected to and goes through "keeper" mini-biners at the tarp ends. The tarp ridge line is taut and when I pull on the line the whole tarp moves. I do it that way because I never know how big the trees are I need to go around and I don't have to jump back and forth adjusting each tarp end on the line. I use 3mm utility cord because it is easier to work with than the smaller stuff. It is heavier but the extra ounce or two isn't a concern - especially for short-ish distances of an over nighter.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

  9. #19
    Dirtbaghiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Posts
    123
    The first picture, it rained on me the night before, so I pitched the tarp low and tight.. Kept me find and dry..
    That second picture, in the snow, there was no chance of rain or snow that night.. A little breezy, but nothing to fear..I pitched the tarp a little higher.. For my son , if you notice my other hammock next to that one, I did not even bother with tarp for myself.

  10. #20
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Images
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Also, there are CRL riggings that allow sliding the whole line rather than prussic (or any other "on-the-line") knots at each end. I run from the tarp end, around the tree, down the ridge line of the tarp around the other tree and back to the tarp. The line is connected to and goes through "keeper" mini-biners at the tarp ends. The tarp ridge line is taut and when I pull on the line the whole tarp moves.
    Sounds pretty much like you're describing this, though perhaps with different hardware. Aside from the Autumn Ultralight CRL I linked to some ways back, this is the other type of CRL I like to use.


  • + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 10-26-2019, 08:37
    2. SOLD: OMW tarp, Mega Ogee tarp, BigAgnes Fly Creek UL1, Wilderness Logics bug net
      By Meriadoc in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 12-20-2012, 14:05
    3. SOLD: OES McCat Ultra SpinnUL Tarp, Hard Rock Winter Tarp 11'
      By Flounder in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 07-14-2012, 19:24

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •