Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Images
    75
    If you'll be using LineLocs and don't mind a slightly heavier cord, the 2.5mm Glowire works perfectly without needing any backup knots. If you use 1.75mm Zing-It or the like, it will hold, but can loosen with wind gusts. A slipped half hitch as a backup solves that but goes against the goals you're aiming to achieve. 2mm Glowire is certainly less slippery than 1.75mm Zing-It, but my guess is it's still possible for there to be some slippage, hence Lawson created the 2.5mm specifically to be an optimal match for the LL3's.

  2. #22
    TxAggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by kjune View Post
    I think this would work well except for when stakes couldn't be used. I would also want all lines to be attached to the tarp too.
    No problem, just reverse the setup. Attach your cord with the line lock hook to the tarp and add a loop of cordage to your stakes. For snow stakes you could just tie off a single long line with a loop at the end to hook onto.

    Keeping the cord on the tarp makes choosing different stakes and storing them easier. Also means you never lose your tie outs. Putting the cord on the stake makes it harder to lose your stake (which was my problem, I would lose them in the duff or just forget them.)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    White Mountains, New Hampshire
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Posts
    10,847
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For a deadman, use a stick and tie a mooring hitch to secure the guy line to the stake, leaving the tail exposed when burying. Yank the tail and it comes right out. If you use any kind of hardware, chances are you'll have to dig it up to free it.

    I just love it when simple and elegant meet up! Good one, cmoulder!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  4. #24
    Senior Member m00ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Posts
    220
    Last year the wind was blowing something fierce and I had a terrible time getting the snow to set up enough for my deadman to take the wind. I saw Shug's solution with the S-biner and that would allow me to set the anchor unaffected by the wind hitting the tarp but are there other elegant solutions that would allow the use of the deadman to be left in the snow?
    Second question- If I set my anchors in the snow unattached to the tarp does anyone have an elegant solution to knowing where to set them so that I can leave the tarp in the snakeskins so it is not blowing all over the place while I set the anchors after I check the placement by opening the tarp? I have done it but 25% I wish the anchors were moved a couple feet one way or the other. Is it just more practice?

  5. #25
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Posts
    1,865
    Images
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    Last year the wind was blowing something fierce and I had a terrible time getting the snow to set up enough for my deadman to take the wind. I saw Shug's solution with the S-biner and that would allow me to set the anchor unaffected by the wind hitting the tarp but are there other elegant solutions that would allow the use of the deadman to be left in the snow?
    Second question- If I set my anchors in the snow unattached to the tarp does anyone have an elegant solution to knowing where to set them so that I can leave the tarp in the snakeskins so it is not blowing all over the place while I set the anchors after I check the placement by opening the tarp? I have done it but 25% I wish the anchors were moved a couple feet one way or the other. Is it just more practice?
    If you're wearing snowshoes, walk around your hammock/tarp site and compact the snow before stringing up hammock or tarp. Depending upon how dry and/or unconsolidated the snow is, you might have to let it set anywhere from 10 minutes to 1/2 hr, maybe more, before it will be firm enough to do the job. While waiting for the snow to set, and while still wearing snowshoes, set up your hammock and string up your tarp ridge line, maybe walk around and compact the snow again, then move on to other camp chores such as figuring out where your kitchen and latrine will be located, setting up a food hang, collecting firewood, etc.

    By the time all this is done, the snow should be consolidated enough to bury your deadman sticks. If not, make a cup of coffee and wait a bit more.

    After you're satisfied that the snow has consolidated adequately, figure out your guy line stake location, scrape a narrow trench about 6-8" deep with your deadman stick in the consolidated snow perpendicular to the guyline, angling the bottom of the trench inward a bit, and make a small "slot" in the trench for the guy line. Put the stick in the trench and bury it, leaving the guy line tail exposed if you're using a slipped, exploding hitch (like the mooring hitch) so that you can release and pull the guy line out without having to dig up the stake.

    I've done this a few hundred times over the years and it works for me.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

    Simplicity boils down to two steps: Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest. Leo Babauta

  6. #26
    cougarmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Posts
    1,540
    While you are walking around to compact the snow, you might want to pack at the path to your "tree". When you get up at night, you don't want to make a path through fresh snow at 3 am.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

  7. #27
    Senior Member m00ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If you're wearing snowshoes, walk around your hammock/tarp site and compact the snow before stringing up hammock or tarp. Depending upon how dry and/or unconsolidated the snow is, you might have to let it set anywhere from 10 minutes to 1/2 hr, maybe more, before it will be firm enough to do the job. While waiting for the snow to set, and while still wearing snowshoes, set up your hammock and string up your tarp ridge line, maybe walk around and compact the snow again, then move on to other camp chores such as figuring out where your kitchen and latrine will be located, setting up a food hang, collecting firewood, etc.

    By the time all this is done, the snow should be consolidated enough to bury your deadman sticks. If not, make a cup of coffee and wait a bit more.

    After you're satisfied that the snow has consolidated adequately, figure out your guy line stake location, scrape a narrow trench about 6-8" deep with your deadman stick in the consolidated snow perpendicular to the guyline, angling the bottom of the trench inward a bit, and make a small "slot" in the trench for the guy line. Put the stick in the trench and bury it, leaving the guy line tail exposed if you're using a slipped, exploding hitch (like the mooring hitch) so that you can release and pull the guy line out without having to dig up the stake.

    I've done this a few hundred times over the years and it works for me.
    Got it, I've always compacted and set the stakes at the same time. You are compacting the base snow and then putting your anchors in that. Nice idea, I'll try that.

  8. #28
    Senior Member m00ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    While you are walking around to compact the snow, you might want to pack at the path to your "tree". When you get up at night, you don't want to make a path through fresh snow at 3 am.
    I learned that the first night I camped in the snow, it only takes your first night to remember that lesson.

  9. #29
    psyculman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Whitefield NH
    Hammock
    HH Hyper Lite
    Tarp
    DIY camo sil/nylon
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    1" web
    Posts
    494
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've been using Blake's hitch with Lawson Glowire for a few years with no problems. It stays tied at the tarp end so no need to re-tie, and I use MSH at the stake end.

    Thanks for that link to the knot website, it's going to be very useful.
    Never more than one man left behind, so far !

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If you'll be using LineLocs and don't mind a slightly heavier cord, the 2.5mm Glowire works perfectly without needing any backup knots. If you use 1.75mm Zing-It or the like, it will hold, but can loosen with wind gusts. A slipped half hitch as a backup solves that but goes against the goals you're aiming to achieve. 2mm Glowire is certainly less slippery than 1.75mm Zing-It, but my guess is it's still possible for there to be some slippage, hence Lawson created the 2.5mm specifically to be an optimal match for the LL3's.
    Thank you for the tip -- I went with the 2.5mm Glowire and it did fine with high winds, rain, and freezing sleet with zero slippage and was still easy to adjust. I managed the entire setup with mostly mittens and liner gloves at some point.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Similar Threads

    1. DIY Sil-Poly Winter Tarp with Two-Way Tie-Outs
      By kitsapcowboy in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 30
      Last Post: 04-12-2017, 07:40
    2. 11' Ridge tie-outs on 12' winter tarp?
      By sqidmark in forum Weather Protection
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 03-01-2016, 22:54
    3. questions about tie outs on a winter tarp
      By Girotogo in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 01-17-2012, 00:06
    4. SOLD!: Speer Winter Tarp w/ Pull-Outs
      By Shug in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 09-27-2010, 18:50
    5. Speer Winter Tarp ... Added Pull-Outs
      By Shug in forum Weather Protection
      Replies: 46
      Last Post: 01-21-2010, 22:59

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •