Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Last Memorial Day weekend while camping in my yard trying out new hammocks with my son, I heard this sound,

http://www.soundsnap.com/node/85435

It repeated several times, then happened again about 30 minutes later, again repeating several times. It was very loud, causing all the dogs in the neighborhood to bark for several minutes. And creating an acute case of chicken skin on yours truly.

Also it seemed to be coming from the same general area on the mountain behind the house where I had camping alone the previous night. The experience has still curbed my enthusiasm for camping in the woods behind the house. Wondering what could be sleeping inside the old mine opening in the hillside, my solo camp site the previous night was along the old road leading to the old mine. And I was camped maybe 20 yards away.

Officially DNR claims there a no big cats like this around. Even people who believe there are mountain lions about say there are no panthers. Yet many people say they have seen them. I can't say for sure what it was I only know the sound linked above is the only animal sound recording I have found which is not just similar but sounds exactly the same.

This past week I had some work to do at the hospital near Marlinton, at the edge of the Monongahela National Forest - which has more than the average share of reported sighting. I asked staff about personal experiences or claims of sightings from friends. One said she had personally seen one of these big cats a couple of times , once just along the road but the most impressive one was in her own back yard.

A couple of years ago after some critter slaughtered several of their rabbits and destroying several cages her father erected flood lights to illuminate the area should they ever hear their rabbits screaming again. A few nights later the rabbits screamed, the lights came on, dad went outside and had his attention drawn to a thumping sound. The source of the thumping was a large black cat, a panther, thumping its tail on the ground as it hide behind a Rhododendron bush. Dad raised his arms to appear large and yelled "aaahhhhh" at the cat which ran off. She said he believed it to be a juvenile cat, big but not as big as full grown cat.

All this to go along with a tale told to me last week from a friend, my son's Boy Scout Troop leader, telling two stories. A friend of his told him a neighbor had caught a picture of a mountain lion on a trail camera near Crawley Creek. Though he has not seen the picture himself. He said the story took on added meaning to him when a few days later while at the barber shop a local DNR guy was there and said his office had received several calls from people saying they had seen a mountain at Chief Logan State Park, which is only a few miles from Crawley Creek. Both of which are about 30 miles from my home.

Still I try to keep in mind that possibly the most dangerous thing in the woods is a frightened hammock camper armed with the items recommended by Mule.

hmmm - can't believe folks in Texas haven't heard of haints. Spirits - but not the drinkin kind.

d

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Morning Report

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Hope you get something pal ... that'd really be interesting. Good luck staying awake waiting for it!

Something about a hammock!
    The power of the hammock was too great last night, and so fast asleep I was in 2 minutes! No noises were heard, whatever it was it's moved on.

Thanks DavidWa for a great report. It's interesting to read or hear other people's experiences.

My wife was talking to her aunt in Georgia and she said it is Spring and mating season, and it could be trying to call her a mate.Well....I'M NOT HIM!!!
    We're not even going down the road!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    ..... she said it is Spring and mating season, and it could be trying to call her a mate.Well....I'M NOT HIM!!!
    We're not even going down the road!
    Hmmm ... that would have been a rather "uncomfortable" way to wake up in the hammock!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    Still I try to keep in mind that possibly the most dangerous thing in the woods is a frightened hammock camper armed with the items recommended by Mule.
    I suppose it is possible, but can you cite a single instance where a frightened, armed camper has been dangerous to others?

[rephrased in a more polite manner...]
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 03-21-2010 at 07:13.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Hot-toe-mighty!!!

Ok, no camping tonight... done got the neck hairs on edge and me thinks the house "sounds" real good to me......

Signed

Wimpy, dry and non-anal
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Oh...I don't know.....it might be a bit interesting wrestling around with a big cat, enclosed in a bag...in the middle of the night.

You just gotta make sure that....you have more butt then he does sharp teeth.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I suppose it is possible, but can you cite a single instance where a frightened, armed camper has been dangerous to others?
    [/I]
    Chill Mac. The emphasis was on possibly, maybe a better word is potentially.
    Stories citing accidental shooting by campers or campers, hikers , being shot are easily found on the internet. Though finding stories of specifically frightened campers accidentally shooting someone is a low percentage event.

Here is just one example:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3499,2984257

I would have little concern making a scary noise in the vicinity of a Seal team sleeping in hammocks. I would feel a little different making scary noises in the woods in the vicinity of someone with an hour of training on how to use a firearm.

Gerry Spence in court defending Randy Weaver pointed out that normally a bunny rabbit will run away from you. Yet if you corner Mr. Bunny Rabbit in his burrow, and stick your arm into the burrow Mr. Bunny will bite you. Being scared changes ones behavior.

For a lighter look at the issue - Look up part 14 of Pulp Fiction on youtube , at 7:40 Jules explains to Ringo and Yolanda what happens when people are nervous and scared. ( skip this if offended by beaucoup profanity )

The first time I came face to face with a Black Bear was at Blackwater State Park. I wasn't exactly scared, but I was certainly hoping I hadn't come upon one of the 1 % of bears that do attack. I was quit happy when he turned off the trail and went down the hill while we were still 20 - 30 yards apart.

Frightened people with loaded weapons are just as bad a mix as an intoxicated person with a loaded weapon. The only point I am trying to make is be a little Fonzie, be cool, be responsible, be sure of your target, otherwise don't point a weapon at it.

You don't want to end up in a situation like a man in Tenn several years ago who shot and killed his teenage daughter. She had been out visiting friends, came home and wanted to pull a prank on her Dad. She quietly entered into the house and hid in the closet and began making noise to make Dad think his house had been broken into. He opened the closet door, she jumped, he pulled the trigger. They had enough time to say I love you before she died.

That being said - I mostly intended the statement as a bit of satire.

D

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The only point I am trying to make is be a little Fonzie, be cool, be responsible, be sure of your target, otherwise don't point a weapon at it.
    Thanks for the "accidental discharge" example and the clarification. I understand what you mean... your first post said nothing like that. Now it's clear.

I'm far more wary of intoxicated people than people who get scared. The effects of fear are nothing like the loss of both judgment and motor skills from drinking alcohol.

Incidents from bad guys and drunks each far outnumber "ADs". Nonetheless, folks should train!

finding stories of specifically frightened campers accidentally shooting someone is a low percentage event.
    Just for the record, the link you posted is not an example of such.
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 03-22-2010 at 08:54.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Just for the record, the link you posted is not an example of such.
    I never said it was. Just because I did not find an example of a frightened camper shooting someone with five minutes of network searching does not mean I want to be near a frightened person with a piece, in the dark, in the woods.

Mac, remember Fonzie , be cool, chill. Ask yourself if you are hanging onto this because you are one of the packing hammock people.
    What ever the answer - let it go. I am.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    David, you are making some assumptions about me that are incorrect. I am not hanging on to anything, nor do I need to chill. You made a statement, I asked you to cite an example, and you could not. Perhaps the danger from frightened, armed campers is not an issue after all. It certainly doesn't hinge on whether I am 'packing', or not.

I applaud your decision to let it go.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast