Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroominDave View Post
    That was me that asked about the weight due to moisture build up. I have never done a downtown study of this but by experience only I have stopped using down and have switched to climashield (APEX). I was first impressed with this type of insulation from a wiggy's bag I bought years ago. I went thru the whole "down" is better "down" is lighter phase and have come back full circle to synthetic is all around the best insulation out there - no moisture build up dries super fast no compression issues (I have literally stored my sleeping bag under heavy compression all the time and it is just like brand new - I have owned and used it every year for the past 18 years). Yes it is heavier and yes down compresses better but performance wise you just cannot beat APEX - just my opinion not trying to convenience anyone to change! HYOH!
    Yea, I tried one of these "non down" Apex quilts and I'll take damp down any day over this. It's not warm enough for me, weighs a ton, and I'd need a 105 liter bag to take this on backpacking trips.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    The time I noticed any frost on my TQ was in the cold when I had no Butner. I now use my bug net all the time and haven’t noticed anything like when I didn’t use it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    The time I noticed any frost on my TQ was in the cold when I had no Butner. I now use my bug net all the time and haven’t noticed anything like when I didn’t use it.
    Goog point. I always use my bug net and it must hold a lot of moisture as the last time I had a heavy frost when I woke up to unzip it was like snow coming off the bug net. It must help hold some of the moisture in as well as out.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I do remember the snow like effect last winter. Glad that’s not a huge issue. Might be from breath vs coming through from body heat.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Yea, I tried one of these "non down" Apex quilts and I'll take damp down any day over this. It's not warm enough for me, weighs a ton, and I'd need a 105 liter bag to take this on backpacking trips.
    I agree. My favorite quote:

I'm starting to wonder if my TQ dampness is due to using a quilt that is right at, or even higher-rated than the actual temp. That is the only common thing among all these wet TQ trips. 20° TQ at 19°, 0° TQ at -16°, 20° TQ at 23°. Maybe my warm air is just hitting that outer shell to easily?

I was looking forward to testing this VB liner this week, but the cold snap will be over and lows will be 25°+...totally bummed!!! I missed the 3-day window of single digit lows. Could even get rain Saturday. Come on winter!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Now that’s an idea. Maybe next time take 110° minimum over the predicted temperature

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Since I camp a lot in high humidity areas and I've never tried synthetic quilts, I ordered a set of Up insulated quilts from Cedar Ridge to give them a test. Looking forward to giving them a good test.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

I was looking forward to testing this VB liner this week, but the cold snap will be over and lows will be 25°+...totally bummed!!! I missed the 3-day window of single digit lows. Could even get rain Saturday. Come on winter!!
    Dang, I'm bummed. We had a nice little base of snow across the river in Harriman and now the warm temps and heavy rain are completely obliterating it!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    Since I camp a lot in high humidity areas and I've never tried synthetic quilts, I ordered a set of Up insulated quilts from Cedar Ridge to give them a test. Looking forward to giving them a good test.
    I'm interested to see what happens but in sustained very cold temps ice will also start building up. My experience, at least.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Many years back I had a Wiggy's bag rated -20°F and darn near needed a hydraulic ram to get the size manageable enough for a 85L McHale.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast