Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Which UQ?

A Graylock 3 or a Potomac 3 season?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    A Graylock 3 or a Potomac 3 season?
    Wow, tough choice! (do you have an HH?) Mainly centering on down vs CS and all of that never ending debate. Also, the Potomac is full length vs the shorter Greylock. So, between the down vs CS and the different sizes, there is going to be about an 11 or12 oz difference. But, you won't need a foot pad with the full length Potomac, so that will save you some ounces, at least if you don't carry a sit pad anyway.

I don't have a Potomac, but I do have some other AHE CS UQs and they are very high quality IMO.

I don't have a GL3 but I do have an MW3 convertible that has a short and full length option. It has a different suspension that the GL3 or 4, so some difference. It is a great UQ, and will keep me warm to t least 20 without adding layers or VBs. I'm basing that on my total warmth at 25F wearing only cotton PJs. I could have gone lower, for sure, even without my tricks for augmenting.

I do have a GL4, and I think it is about the best UQ I have ever tried, or at a minimum a match for the best, on either my bridge hammocks or gathered end. I have not been able to put it to the test yet regarding it's zero F rating, not even close. But, I was toasty in it's full length version(the MW4) at 10F, under a JRB bridge. Could have gone lower, but I don't get much opportunity for that. With my VBs I'm sure I could go way lower.

I sort of lean towards shorter UQs with a foot pad. I'm certain this GL4 will get the job done consistently. Whether on a bridge or gathered, I can find no gaps or adjustment problems. And the secondary suspension is unique, built into the same cord lock used to adjust the position on the perimeter suspension and cords for cinching up the ends. So far, this UQ has never offered to move from where I set it, at all. No slipping off of my shoulder. Excellent.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-26-2019 at 22:13.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks BillyBob. I guess Im concerned about the gap under my legs most rectangle UQ's challenge me with. With the side pull outs the HH has, that makes that issue more challenging for me. I used to have a Potomac for an HH I had and it fit well. But the reviews (and your comment) has got me leaning more towards the Graylock for the advantages of price, versatality, weight, et al. Id love to hear from someone that uses the Graylock on their HH. Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Thanks BillyBob. I guess Im concerned about the gap under my legs most rectangle UQ's challenge me with. With the side pull outs the HH has, that makes that issue more challenging for me. I used to have a Potomac for an HH I had and it fit well. But the reviews (and your comment) has got me leaning more towards the Graylock for the advantages of price, versatality, weight, et al. Id love to hear from someone that uses the Graylock on their HH. Thanks!
    A problem with gap under legs? Yes, I have sometimes struggled with that, with most full lengths I have used(except on my JRB bridges of course). If my feet are right, I have to do battle against a gap by the left leg. Not to say I have not usually got it worked out, sooner or later. But it is definitely something to be aware of.

But not with Greylock, in my experience. Or even with my short section on my MW3 convertible. Or with my Climashield Yeti. These shorter quilts always seem to be snug against my butt, back and left arm/shoulder(right arm doesn't need snug in a gathered, TQ is not compressed) I have a pad- usually a torso sized CCF sit pad- under my legs, inside the hammock. Or depending on which pad, maybe even inside the TQ, the way Shug does. No gaps possible with that pad.

Just stop and think about it for a minute, and see if you agree: over the years, how many threads have there been where some one was cold at 40F in their 20F full length UQ? A whole bunch, then we all come in with our tips about what they might be doing wrong, and sooner or later they usually get it worked out. Now, I have not had that trouble. My first attempt at full length on a WBBB was using a the original JRB MW4. I remember I had quite a hassle figuring out how to get the foot end to work right and stay put. But I finally got it, and slept toasty at 18F with very high winds, some of which were getting past my tarp in a very un-sheltered spot. So I have had good luck even if with a big learning curve, but I think you will agree that there are a boatload of threads over the years with folks having problems.

But, how many of those complaints/problems have been with a Greylock? Any? Or even with a Yeti? Or maybe even an AHR Jarbidge(though sometime people tend to tighten the ends too much on those, and they are kind of close to full length)? Sure, I know there must have been some, but has to be a very low %. I can't remember any, especially for GL. So it is just my personal, unproven opinion that shorter UQs are easier to deal with. But that is just personal opinion, I might be wrong.

I have not much used my JRB UQs on my HH, because I keep my HHSS installed on that hammock. But I don't know why a GL wouldn't work superbly, same as it does with any other GE. Or a bridge for that matter. In fact, don't the JRB UQs have pullouts designed to match up with the HH and Switchback side pull outs?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=honGUMmX8jQ
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-26-2019 at 22:09.

• + New Posts