Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I get condensation on the outside of my TQ footbox as well and I always have condensation on the foot pad or any pad for that matter underneath me in the hammock. I think I'll try a small piece of CCF inside the quilt footbox and see how that does.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    At what temperatures do you stop using a pad under your feet? I know that I see frost over my feet on my peapod when I have it closed. When using my Te-Wa in warmer temps, I tend to just put a stuff sack with loose items in it or just a jacket under my feet.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    At what temperatures do you stop using a pad under your feet? I know that I see frost over my feet on my peapod when I have it closed. When using my Te-Wa in warmer temps, I tend to just put a stuff sack with loose items in it or just a jacket under my feet.
    That is a good idea. Seems I always bring a sit/kneel pad. Small.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That is a good idea. Seems I always bring a sit/kneel pad. Small.
    I bring a pas as well. The stuff sack just seems to be more comfortable and insulates pretty well. ( However, I'm not sure what R value of a couple of pairs of socks and a rain jacket offers.)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Last night slept out in the Grizz Bridge again ...... got to 22º.

I used the GG 1/4 pad again but covered one side with a piece of 100 polarfleece. Used 3M spray adhesive to hold it on one side.

Used it under footbox on the outside and had very little condensation.

Also just to test and quell my curiosity I put a piece of Reflectix under my left leg ... calf to thigh ... but just on one side. HAD condensation there! Not on the right leg. Both legs were warm.

Shug

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Goodness Shug! Are you sleeping in a hammock or undergoing an alien abduction? I don't know that I could keep everything still enough to see how much or little condensation there might be.

You know, as I type this, the footbox condensation answer might have arrived. Just to preface the answer, I'd need to confirm my qualifications. I SWEAT! I don't sweat, or perspire or anything minimal like that... I just plain put a pig to shame SWEAT. We'll just call it a gift and move on with my observation.

I do have condensation in my DL hammock on my back and anything else that comes in contact with my GG 1/4" 40X60. I do not have condensation near my footbox. This just might be because I am using a pad that is only 60 inches long and me and my size 12 feet are longer than 60".

When it gets colder, I move away from the GG pad and go to my UQ of the moment. When using a fractional UQ, I use a stuff sack as I mentioned earlier. The stuff sack can slide with my feet in the hammock unlike a sticky pad, and I tend to move my feet. Most likely, my feet are producing as much perspiration as yours Shug. However, since I move my feet and my footbox around, condensation does not have enough time to build up.

Perhaps you need to give up the mortuary feet at night and move them around a time or two? Some people even have "restless leg syndrome". They even make a prescription for that very syndrome, but side effects can result in promiscuous behavior (aka Tiger Woods Syndrome) and a propensity to gamble ( I kid you not! Google "Requip side effects"). I don't have Restless Leg Syndrome, but I have been looking for that special lady who does and is seeking treatment. Oh wait, we were talking about sweaty feet. At any rate, you might try moving your feet a couple of times a night, and that might save you some 3M spray as well as that swatch of fleece.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Thanks Shug for that bit of info. about the comparison test.
    It seems that at least on that particular night that you avoided outside condensation by having your insulation on the inside. Maybe by having the insulation inside created enough heat that it actually lowered the surrounding relative humidity and prevented the condensation from happening.

See.....even us wee people can think like big people sometimes......and then we go do something that we find more enjoyable, like.............fireworks!

Gandolf always has really cool fireworks to play with....just ask Pippen.
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 03-21-2010 at 12:17.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Funny! I do lay very still but move a bit.
    I had one pair of socks and all was dry IN the footbox. I gotta go with the fact that the GG pad is just super warm and not breathable. Almost a VB....
    On my UQ .... never sweat. The fleece really helped keep the condo down.
    The stuff sack with some clothing has got to be more breathable ... but I ain't no academic.
    I may start going with the Thermarest sit-pad in the footbox ... so far in these tests that has created no condensation.
    Fun testing ..... good sleeping.
    Great response from you .... thanks.
    ShugStew

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    I got out to my stealth spot last last night. Temp was 23, humidity 75, wind out of the north/northwest at 10-15.

Used my Blackbird 1.1 dbl, Crowsnest, and WM Ultralight with Thermarest sit pad in the footbox. I'm happy to report no condensation!

I really liked the added padding under my feet. Also, I could actually feel warmth down there.

It was a beauty of a morning for some breakfast from the hammock and then I got the added bonus of finding an "antler shed" from a 8 point buck.

All secure in Sector Iowa. Go UNI Panthers!

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12