HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    Probably going to catch flack for this as most here would say support a cottage vendor, spend a little extra and get a good hammock that can last a long time...BUT...I saw this review and I respect the poster

https://youtu.be/JCqzPpZIrTE

If I was looking for an inexpensive setup right now, this is where I'd go. I trust Spiguyver, and I love the price and apparent features of the Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    To the OP...

Maybe a DIY option is the best idea..
    +1

DIY the hammock, buy the bugnet.

Making a hammock & suspension is a fun (for some value of that) project that lets you fiddle with the hammock to your hearts content. The taffeta tablecloth ($15) route is simple, whip the ends ($free, string on hand). Add continuous loops & whoopie slings & ridgeline ($20 for 50ft of amsteel), and straps ($10 from any local HW store). Hang with knots.

Buy an enclosed bugnet ($25-ish on amazon).

I am a hair over 2 pounds for all of that...with stuff sacks made from tyvek envelopes. Inexpensive, not cheap.

Be warned...no one can make just one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingKansas View Post
    If I was looking for an inexpensive setup right now, this is where I'd go. I trust Spiguyver, and I love the price and apparent features of the Ridge.
    I agree. For the money and the reviews you'd be hard pressed to build one of these for less. Plus it's on sale for
    48.96 on 12/5/19

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I bought the Ridge Outdoor Gear $50 hammock and it's surprisingly awesome. 11 feet long by 58 inches wide and it's every bit as comfortable as any of my cottage hammocks. 1.7 oz rip stop nylon that's oh so comfy, integrated and removable bug net, structural ridge line, duel sliding zippers, a small peak bag for the net if you take it off, quilt hooks right where you'd want them and tie outs if you do that sort of thing. It needs upgrading though. The continuous loops are a nylon webbing, the ridge line is some kind of para chord material and it comes with ten foot daisy chain straps. You can replace the loops with amsteel as well as the ridge line as easily as any other gathered end. I would MUCH rather see a new hammocker or a budget conscious hammocker in the Ridge Gear hammock than something like an ENO or similar. It's a real deal camping hammock for $50 (and another $20 if they want to upgrade the continuous loops and ridge line). I was so impressed with the comfort I'll be using it exclusively for a long while just to see how it holds up. It's a great hammock.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by flyefysch View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a backpacking hammock with a big net that is cheaply priced ($60 or under) yet not too cheaply made. Looking for something about 10’ long and 5.5’-6’ wide. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback.
    Why not get one of the closeout hammocks from Ripstop by the Roll?
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...mmock-original

That'll get you an 11 foot good quality hammock, and at $25 cost leaves you $35 for a bugnet. Heck, just buy the hammock now to see if you like it. If you do, then start looking for the bug net.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Why not get one of the closeout hammocks from Ripstop by the Roll?
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...mmock-original
    Wow! Thanks for that link -- I searched on their site and can't find it other than using that link. I had no idea they had any pre-made products.

And what a bargain... winter holiday gifts!

Has anyone ever reviewed or used one of these hammocks? I’m interested in one also to replace what I have but idk if it would be an upgrade. The hammock I use now is a go outfitters 11 foot made out of 70d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You've got lots of choices for affordable hammocks. Any of these will more than fit your needs:

ENO DoubleNest Hammock
    Everest Double
    Kammok Roo Double
    Hummingbird Hammocks Ultralight Single Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest OneLink
    ENO Vulcan Underquilt
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Wise Owl SingleOwl
    Therm-a-Rest Slacker
    Original Blackbird

Except for the Onewind mentioned I don't have much experience with any of the less expensive hammock/sets. My first was a Hennessy jungle explorer, so maybe I'm spoiled a bit in the comfort department... or... it's just happenstance that it fits me extrordinarily well. I've never had even close to a poor nights sleep since the day I got it.

At any rate... the Onewind is a lot of kit for the price, but it's quite difficult to get comfortable in. I'm just shy of 6' and not a real big guy, but trying to get a diagonal lay leaves me at an uncomfortable "tilt" and left me with morning kinks in my neck. I only did 2 nights in it. Don't like the bug net at ALL. Yeah.. it works, but it's very bulky, heavy, thick threads that interferes seeing out of it and it's a pain getting in and out of it... especially if you need to open and close it. That said... it's "functional" and it was dirt cheap.

As backup kit that might otherwise ruin your trip without it, a napper or a loaner... it's worth hanging on to for what I paid for it, but if it was my main rig I probably wouldn't be too excited about hanging too often. There's probably a way to make it more comfortable if I tinkered around with supplementary gear, but there's been no need for it so it's just bouncing around in a bin in the back of the truck.

I jumped at the recent $25 clearance hammock from RSBR. I highly suspect it's going to be a ton more comfortable so the Onewind gear will get moved over to the RSBR Appalachian hammock and the Onewind hammock will get donated to the scouts. Young, short and nubile on an overnighter would likely get a better lay-in on it.
    Last edited by Yarome; 12-07-2019 at 13:13.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    Probably going to catch flack for this as most here would say support a cottage vendor, spend a little extra and get a good hammock that can last a long time...BUT...I saw this review and I respect the poster

https://youtu.be/JCqzPpZIrTE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I trust his reviews 100% and I have seen quite a few responses to him on Facebook saying they bought it and love it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast