Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    New Member Rice-N-beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    South Florida.
    Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Posts
    46

    Question Lawson Guywire for tarp continuous ridgeline, diameter advice.

    I like my 2mm Lawson glowire so much for my guylines that I'd like to use the same type of cordage for my tarp continuous ridgeline, except without the reflective properties, Guywire is supposed to be glowire without the reflective part.

    My question is, for the ridgeline should I stick with the 2mm offering, or go with the 2.5mm or 3mm offering?
    https://lawsonequipment.com/All-Prod...ord-p1131.html


    My tarps are a silpoly 11' WB Superfly, and a heavier ETOWAH 10'x10' PU coated tarp.


    Thank you in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Rice-N-beans; 12-04-2019 at 10:18.

  2. #2
    OneClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wasteland that is IN
    Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Posts
    11,521
    Images
    20
    I like my 2.2mm zing-it, so I would err on the side of a little larger rather than smaller. The 2.5mm sounds like a good compromise. The only other consideration is if you're using any kind of hardware - make sure the diameter you choose fits thru the holes, hooks, etc.

  3. #3
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,524
    Images
    76
    Yeah, I agree with the suggestion about hardware. A lot of the hardware is designed with 1.75mm Zing-It in mind and while 2mm might work with those, 2.5mm may not.

    Lawson's 2.5mm cord was designed to work with Lineloc3 hardware, but that hardware isn't commonly used on tarp ridgelines, at least not as commonly as they're used for guylines. The 2.5mm stuff does work really well with no slipping in the LL3s, but otherwise it is pretty overkill for guylines. Nothing wrong with that other than the extra weight and bulk... which won't matter to everyone.

    IMO, you'd be fine with either the 2mm or the 2.5mm. If you tend toward using heavier duty materials with greater factor of safety, choose the 2.5mm. If you'd prefer something lighter and less bulky, the 2mm will still be plenty strong enough for the task.

    If you're using knots and hitches in your CRL, the larger diameter is typically a little easier to work with.

  4. #4
    New Member Rice-N-beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    South Florida.
    Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I like my 2.2mm zing-it, so I would err on the side of a little larger rather than smaller. The 2.5mm sounds like a good compromise. The only other consideration is if you're using any kind of hardware - make sure the diameter you choose fits thru the holes, hooks, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Yeah, I agree with the suggestion about hardware. A lot of the hardware is designed with 1.75mm Zing-It in mind and while 2mm might work with those, 2.5mm may not.

    Lawson's 2.5mm cord was designed to work with Lineloc3 hardware, but that hardware isn't commonly used on tarp ridgelines, at least not as commonly as they're used for guylines. The 2.5mm stuff does work really well with no slipping in the LL3s, but otherwise it is pretty overkill for guylines. Nothing wrong with that other than the extra weight and bulk... which won't matter to everyone.

    IMO, you'd be fine with either the 2mm or the 2.5mm. If you tend toward using heavier duty materials with greater factor of safety, choose the 2.5mm. If you'd prefer something lighter and less bulky, the 2mm will still be plenty strong enough for the task.

    If you're using knots and hitches in your CRL, the larger diameter is typically a little easier to work with.
    Thanks for the info!

    I plan on using a bowline on one end, and either a truckers hitch or figure-9 on the other, prusik knots for tarp tension.

  5. #5
    GeneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mound, MN
    Tarp
    Wish List 10x10
    Insulation
    air pad+1/8 foam
    Posts
    131
    Any concern for damage to the tarp with the 2 mm as a continuous ridge line under the tarp?
    I need a new profile picture: I carry less, I'm older, and keep my shirt buttoned up now.

  6. #6
    New Member Rice-N-beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    South Florida.
    Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Any concern for damage to the tarp with the 2 mm as a continuous ridge line under the tarp?
    GeneH, I'm StinkBait from BCUSA forums that posted about glowire over there, I also want to know the answer to this question.
    Last edited by Rice-N-beans; 12-04-2019 at 11:14.

  7. #7
    GeneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mound, MN
    Tarp
    Wish List 10x10
    Insulation
    air pad+1/8 foam
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Any concern for damage to the tarp with the 2 mm as a continuous ridge line under the tarp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice-N-beans View Post
    GeneH, I'm StinkBait from BCUSA forums that posted about glowire over there, I also want to know the answer to this question.

    HAHAHAHAHAH. HA. That's exactly what prompted me to ask the question! Smaller world than I realize sometimes.
    I need a new profile picture: I carry less, I'm older, and keep my shirt buttoned up now.

  8. #8
    HandyRandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Louisiana
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Posts
    1,394
    Oh look at that. Lawson finally came out with the 2.5mm Guywire! And 25% off. Santa came early. EARLY!

  9. #9
    Countrybois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East Central IL
    Hammock
    DIY Hex70XL
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Incubatr/Diamondbk
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Any concern for damage to the tarp with the 2 mm as a continuous ridge line under the tarp?
    I don't think you'd have to worry about tarp damage. You WILL need to be concerned with water intrusion from running/wicking down the lines under your tarp. I'd avoid that. I've seen too many guys' trip cut short due to wet gear from this.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

    Need Adventure...Make Adventure


  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sings
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice-N-beans View Post
    I like my 2mm Lawson glowire so much for my guylines that I'd like to use the same type of cordage for my tarp continuous ridgeline, except without the reflective properties, Guywire is supposed to be glowire without the reflective part.

    My question is, for the ridgeline should I stick with the 2mm offering, or go with the 2.5mm or 3mm offering?
    https://lawsonequipment.com/All-Prod...ord-p1131.html


    My tarps are a silpoly 11' WB Superfly, and a heavier ETOWAH 10'x10' PU coated tarp.


    Thank you in advance for the help!
    Hey Rice-N-Beans,

    I've been using Lawson's 2mm Reflective Glowire and bar tensioners for the last two years. It holds my Noah's tarp 16 and Superfly just fine and I haven't had to replace it yet. I use it for the ridgeline and guylines. I'd imagine the guywire would work the same just not reflective.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Lawson reflective cord for whoopie style ridgeline?
      By Seanson in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 06-21-2015, 12:29
    2. Continuous Ridgeline
      By Sporto in forum Dutchware
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 03-26-2015, 10:53
    3. Continuous Ridgeline
      By Madrone in forum Weather Protection
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-03-2013, 20:15
    4. continuous ridgeline
      By outdooraddict in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 03-13-2013, 14:06
    5. 2mm Guywire Braided Dyneema Cord 50' $12.95
      By Mountainfitter in forum Other Vendors and Services
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 04-06-2011, 18:50

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •