Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

GG Thinlight

Would somebody please provide some information/pics on how small the GG 41"x 61"x 1/4" thinlght wide rolls/packs to.
    I wanted to use it alone as my summer insulation in a DL hammock, however I don't know if it will be better than my DIY UQ made from a $10 WM sleeping bag .

Thank you in advance.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I cut my GG pad up and used it to make prototype Molly Mac Packs... I use different stuff now, but I remember that it rolled up nice and small, something like less than ten inches, IIRC. It was narrower, though. You'll want to double the 41" wide pad, I suppose. Come to think of it, that would roll up significantly larger.

I have a large roll of "headliner foam" which is the same material as the GG and other EVA or 'Evasote' pads, except it is not as soft as GG; it is white in color, about 1/8" thick and very lightweight (that's why I use it for MMPs). I never thought about using it for pads... but it might do very well. Would you like to try a piece of it?

Did you run out of IX for summer insulation?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    At 40 inches that pad can be a wrestling match. I have tried folding it in half and rolling but man it is grippy and awkward. I am cutting mine to 26 inches to fit my Bridge hammock pocket. The full 40 is BIG. When strapped on a pack you need to mount it vertically. Horizontally it will get hooked on narrow gorges!

Here are a couple of pics of mine, what I did was I cut it half and made two semi-equal wider torso length pads, they are the same length as regular torso pads but still wider. After cut they are definitely wider than both Adia (my better half) and my shoulders. Hope this helps! When it was uncut it was huge!

CB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I've been using mine two ways. When it's warm enough, it works as a single layer in my DL hammock. When it gets cooler, I fold it in half leaving me a 30" wide X 40" long pad with twice the R value. I roll mine up and then fold it in half for transport. It's smaller than a Wallyworld pad that way. I think a single layer is supposed to be good down to 57 or so while two layers of 1/4" should get you to 46.

It's not to shabby to leave an UQ at home in the summer and use this pad for bottom insulation and a sit pad as well (more like a sit sofa).

Forgot to put in my post that mine is folded in half long ways then rolled up!

CB

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Mac,
    I have not ran out of IX yet, but have found it very difficult for the IX to stay tight on the bottom of my hammock, and have not made the DL hammock to know if it'll stay put since its so thin.

Crankybear,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the roll in the picture is the full 41"x61" mat folded in half and then rolled to a 18"x6" roll.
    Wouldn't 18" make it 36" x ? when unfolded?

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trugracie View Post
    Mac,
    ...difficult for the IX to stay tight on the bottom of my hammock
    Gotcha! Fit is key with IX. I have had great results with the IX hammock sock. It is easy to adjust the fit by moving the ends, and adjusting slack in the ridgeline.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Crankybear,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the roll in the picture is the full 41"x61" mat folded in half and then rolled to a 18"x6" roll.
    Wouldn't 18" make it 36" x ? when unfolded?

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    No thats not the full pad, its half of the pad, I cut the pad in half so Adia (my GF) and my self would each have a pad. The pad I got was the GG wide pad, and when cut in half its still wide enough to cover our shoulders and it is torso length. The pic shows it folded in half then rolled up. Its pretty big, well really big uncut, I have tried it in the hammock and it just covers my shoulders, but it now serves dual purposes, foot pad in hammock, extra insulation under me while in hammock if needed, sit pad, and since most of my hiking has been on the AT it serves as a pad if I want to lay in one of the shelters, or the worst going to ground! Here is a pic of it unrolled, hope this helps!!

CB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 03-21-2010 at 12:51.

Trugracie,
    The reason that mine is that wide is one I cut it for my shoulder width plus a couple inches, so mine is wider than Adia's, but still both are plenty wide for both of us, she is petite and I don't have very wide shoulders, so it actually worked out great for both of us. If you are planning on getting one, if its just for you, you can cut it to whatever size/fit you want/need.

CB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast