Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I ordered the set of 4 with the Dyneema straps from REI (20% coupon). When I get them, I am going to hike up the Barton Creek Greenbelt and try them out with the hammock and tarp, on the rock cliffs. I will not sleep there, it's only a day hike, but if everything works out, I will post some photos.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Look forward to the pics and the report
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    Since you asked climbers - if I was gonna do it, I'd take a couple of cams. Many nut type things don't stay in place without a load on them. Look at the rock and determine the size of the cracks you have to play with. And with wire, you will most likely need a carabiner to attach rope.
    Jim S

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    I ordered the set of 4 with the Dyneema straps from REI (20% coupon). When I get them, I am going to hike up the Barton Creek Greenbelt and try them out with the hammock and tarp, on the rock cliffs. I will not sleep there, it's only a day hike, but if everything works out, I will post some photos.
    Finally received the Camp Dynema Tricams, but I have been travelling the last couple weekends. I took my Switchback and a BDWD to the greenbelt today to try my luck at hanging them from a rock bluff. In this area, there are lots of rock faces with trees near-by, so picking a spot was pretty easy. Finding the right crack in the right place was also easy, but I assume that will not always be the case.

After inserting the largest Tricam and pulling on it enough to feel secure, I hung the hammock, connecting it with a CAMP 20 Kn / 7 Kn wire gate biner. After a little fussing to get the angle correct and what I perceived to be level, I sat down gently. It was apparent that it wasn't going anywhere and I laid down in the hammock. It would have been secure from now on but due to the heat and humidity (90 degrees, 70%), I didn't stay in it very long. I took a few photos and the last thing I did was to string up the ridgeline with the tarp in it's snakeskins. I wasn't sure how well it would work, using the same biner that was connected to the Tricam, but it worked well. When I sat in the hammock, there was a little to no loosening of the tarp's ridgeline. I would say this test was a complete success, although I am somewhat skeptical that this will always be the case.

P.S. Jim the set I bought has 4 Tricams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (206.1 KB, 72 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (206.2 KB, 67 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (289.3 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (257.1 KB, 47 views)
    • File Type: jpg 17.jpg (247.1 KB, 59 views)
    • File Type: jpg 18.jpg (279.6 KB, 63 views)
    Last edited by Scottybdiving; 05-21-2010 at 18:14.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Camo
    Insulation
    Burrow + Lynx
    Suspension
    Black DIY Whoopies
    Images

You need "friends" :-)

(an actual trade name for some of the original spring-loaded cams) Actually the newer flexible stem cams could work better. Cams also cover ranges of sizes for flexibility of placement. (they tend to be pricier though) but fun toys... you may be able to find them used on Ebay... climbers would not be interested in lead climbing on unknown/used gear, but in this application they do not need to hold a "fall" or dynamic load, they could be tested easily to see if they will hold a few hundred pounds. used should be a bunch cheaper on ebay, like climbing-rated carabiners, this gear is rated in KN of force rather than LBs test strenght, but any of it should be more-than-strong-enough to "hang" from.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Finally received the Camp Dynema Tricams, but I have been travelling the last couple weekends. I took my Switchback and a BDWD to the greenbelt today to try my luck at hanging them from a rock bluff. In this area, there are lots of rock faces with trees near-by, so picking a spot was pretty easy. Finding the right crack in the right place was also easy, but I assume that will not always be the case.

After inserting the largest Tricam and pulling on it enough to feel secure, I hung the hammock, connecting it with a CAMP 20 Kn / 7 Kn wire gate biner. After a little fussing to get the angle correct and what I perceived to be level, I sat down gently. It was apparent that it wasn't going anywhere and I laid down in the hammock. It would have been secure from now on but due to the heat and humidity (90 degrees, 70%), I didn't stay in it very long. I took a few photos and the last thing I did was to string up the ridgeline with the tarp in it's snakeskins. I wasn't sure how well it would work, using the same biner that was connected to the Tricam, but it worked well. When I sat in the hammock, there was a little to no loosening of the tarp's ridgeline. I would say this test was a complete success, although I am somewhat skeptical that this will always be the case.

P.S. Jim the set I bought has 4 Tricams.
    You know it may be the old climber in me but i would back that up with a second piece of pro. It does my old climbing heart good to see that. Like the other fella said , friends are a great option but a bit pricey.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm with Mbiraman, Always backup The Pro's. Got some gear haven't used in a while, Since Son was Born, Felt a need to stick around. Mechanical and TriCams are Easiest, then there's Cure Nuts and Wedge Nuts which you'll need the Tool to get out. When you place them you'll want then in a little from the lip. Out west in AZ & Utah you'll find a lot of Sand Stone watch-out Bad Rock. Have Fun." Climbing is a Dangerous Sport ETC..."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Always backup The Pro's
    OK, as a non climber, what does "back up the pro's" mean? Does this mean to add a second attachment point? If so, does that mean to connect the hammock suspension to two different Tricams located close together, with one biner? A failure would be most unpleasant, probably not deadly, buy a very rude awakening.

BTW, I have no intentions of climbing with these.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just good practice when climbing to backup Protection from a fall. The more you have the safer you are. One would work, if set good, for hanging a Hammock. I would set Hammock a little closer to Ground if using single pro.
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Cams are to heavy to justify for backpacking. Your use of Tri-cams is good and hexes are your lightest gear option. However you can also place a rock into a crack and then sling it. You have to be able to find rocks that fit and have cracks that are bigger above and constrict narrower as you move toward the ground but it is an option.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast