Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images

FS: Custom 3/4 Summer UQ

I want to sell my custom ultralight underquilt. This was my first sewing project, and while solid, I learned a few lessons about how to sew stuff together properly You might notice there are folded strips around the perimeter that have no purpose, other than the material cost too much to not finish the project. It's still solid, just looks funny. If I hadn't made that mistake, this would be an awesome UQ all around.

It is made of gray-green (gray) Momentum .9 oz MR fabric, and uses a single layer of Climashield XP 2.5 OZ. It is about 42" wide in the middle, tapering towards the ends, with stretchcord drawstrings to make a better fit. It is about 50" long. The suspension uses stretchcord down the sides. The bottom shell is baggy, so it blocks the wind surprisingly well and has dead air space to insulate. I tried to fit it for a right-footboxed Blackbird, and I've found it fit on a Hennessy and a Speer hammock quite well. It does seem to fit nicely.

I attempted to make it as light as possible, so it weighs 8.8 oz It doesn't come with biners for attachment or a stuffsack, so those would add extra weight. It packs down super small, I seem to recall it could go as small as 130 c.i.

As far as temperature, I tested it one night in damp weather with a little wind and no tarp to block wind. I was wearing nylon pants, a T-shirt, and a long sleeve shirt, no jacket or baselayers. It got down to 38 that night, I wasn't really warm underneath, but didn't "freeze". I think this UQ, would be fine for the warmer months down to 50F. I was hoping it might be good to 40F, but I have my doubts. For some reason, when I place my hand on it or drape it over my lap, it just feels warm. I've tried this on a quilt with 5 oz XP and 3.7 Combat, and they don't put off that much warmth, this is just my perception, FWIW.

I'm selling it to fund materials for one that's slightly warmer, using 3.7 Combat and weighing a "heavy" 11 oz.

$60 shipped. If you don't like it based on a backyard hang, you can send it back shortly after receiving.

Last edited by Coldspring; 03-21-2010 at 10:09.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    hey the Pic is not there.....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Here is the pic, I'm not that tech savvy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Here's a better picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBBB dbl1.1 mint
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix,DIY
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hey there Coldspring,

UQ looks nice...I guess my question is about baffles...are they there? and if not how does the DOWN stay put??

thanks
    mike

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Hey Mike, there aren't any baffles, it's Climashield synthetic insulation that comes in sheets. The materials came from Thru-Hiker, and would cost a person $70 to have shipped, not including the the shockcord and cordlocks.

I don't know about the looking nice part. It doesn't look too bad I suppose, except for the strips of folded over fabric around the edges that even have some of the insulation sewed up in them.

The quilt is solid, fits a hammock bottom well, and there's nothing about it that won't perform, given the limitations of the 2.5 oz CS XP insulation. I think ripstop nylon 1.1 is sort of lackluster, and won't be adding anything made from it to my hammock equipment, so that's why it's made out of Momentum. It would be great for high humidity or getting wet,and nobody is really going to see your UQ out in the leafy woods at night.
    Last edited by Coldspring; 03-21-2010 at 14:44.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i think it looks good...should see the one i'm working on now LOL

if i wasn't making one i would get it off ya...ithink this is going to be a great UQ for someone that likes to hang in warm weather...

at 2.5oz i would say 50 degrees would be it's max that i would push it..

but for $60 this is a steal
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post

at 2.5oz i would say 50 degrees would be it's max that i would push it..
    Yeah, I hate trying to make temperature ratings, but in the hammock world I might be able to get away with calling it a 30F underquilt, as my personal rating for some of the stuff is as much as 20F warmer. But there's only so much 2.5 oz can do.

You have to consider that the Momentum is warmer than the usual 1.1 ripstop nylon. It also has dead airspace, because the bottom shell is larger, with pleating, and sags somewhat, so this is virtual insulation. It's going to be somewhat warmer than a underquilt that is just some insulation sewed between two layers of ripstop nylon.

I had forgotten about one little thing that I noticed just now, it's about 3" long. I accidentally cut the inner shell when I was making it, near the edge. It's patched up, but NOT pretty. You won't see it from the outside, but it just happened to be right beside where your head lays.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images

Sold

SOLD to a lucky hammocker from the SOUTH. He may be able to enjoy it as early as next week.

• + New Posts