Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used an Exped inflatable pad. It does a good job of holding the hammock open, but makes me sit up higher so the bug net is closer to my face. No big deal.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

people talk about the CCF blue pads from wal Mart being 24" wide. All I have ever seen is the 20" wide ones. Is there than much of a difference between the two. Does that extra 4" make a difference? (waiting for a comment on that...lol)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The 4" does make a difference, but it isn't the difference between needing a SPE or not, IMO. Whether I use a 20" or 24" inch pad, I still need something extra on my shoulders and hips.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

regular gear

The difference between them is about $6. <sarcasm>. It's under $5 for 20 inch and over $11 for the 24 inch.

In use,in a hammock, neither is very successful. The extra 4 inches probably has value for someone on the ground.

I'm in the process of making an SPE. I'm going to add four segments (two wide and two long) on each side for 42 inches total. (eight segments total)The segmenting is especially important so that the pad doesn't buckle in the compound curves.

I have been running a 20 inch pad crossways, folded double (36 inches) to get wider coverage at at midbody, it almost works well. Except that the pad moves around as you clamper in.
    Tom

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    I use the 24" ccf wally world pad and have found that if it's cold enough for me to be using it, it's cold enough for me to be zipped up completely in my sleeping bag. I fit on that pad (shoulders and all) if I'm zipped up in my mummy bag, but I am a woman and don't have as broad shoulders as you guys. When I roll over on my side, I grab the side of the pad (through my bag) and it helps me stay right on top of the pad when I move.

I think for me, it will work "good enough" and I'm sure a SPE would be more comfortable, but this is just less complicated. I don't think, however, I'd stay entirely on a 20" pad, so I do think that 4" makes a big difference.
    This is my signature.

Images
    I am with you on that one Michele. I don't like to use a pad, but I am fine with the standard width. Maybe that should tell me that I need to work out more or something.

I have been bitten by the gear making bug and I am going to see if I can make a Garlingtion Insulator taco thingy. That alone or combined with the nest may get me cold enough that I will not need a pad that much.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

regular gear, now pads

Michelle,

I saw the picture of you ,all tucked in, on your recent outing. It looked like you sleep straight up and down the hammock.

I can't get comfortable that way, but if I could, I think the 24 incher would work. I sleep as diagonal as I can get. The pads just won't cooperate.

Tom

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Tom,

You're right, I don't sleep as off-centered as some people do, I think it's because I'm only 5'6". I was, however, scooted up a little farther than normal for some reason, in that picture. I may have had my foot end up a bit too high. I do think I sleep more off-centered w/out the pad, but I really agree that I can't see that pad working very well for someone who sleeps on a big diagonal.

It is also a little more work getting situated in a HH w/the pad inside, but I actually don't mind, because it helps me build up some body heat right before I crawl inside my sleeping bag, so it all works out.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I have been bitten by the gear making bug and I am going to see if I can make a Garlingtion Insulator taco thingy. That alone or combined with the nest may get me cold enough that I will not need a pad that much.
    Watch out for condensation if you use silnylon. It makes sense that the condensation will rise and won't "go down" through the Nest, but Ray Garlington says he often gets some condensation inside his Taco underneath his bag o' feathers...meaning the condensation does actually travel down through the insulation to get out of the hammock.

So a silnylon Taco will block a lot of wind, but it also will prevent the Nest from breathing. A wpb fabric (like the JRB Weather Shield) may be a good trade between reduced breathability (it'll still reduce it some) and added protection. OWF sells microporous polypropylene, which is what the Weather Shield is made from. Not sure if it's the exact fabric, but it's the same type. That's the most breathable waterproof material I've used so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12